• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] England Squad

I'd like to see Stuart get some more game time. I don't think he's going to unseat Sinckler as first choice any time soon but I think he's going well and should be given a chance to nail down a shirt.

I thought Wilson was doing pretty well to be honest! He's not exactly a flashy player but he's always up there in the tackle counts and doesn't miss many, he carries well, and he's the only starting England forward who hasn't conceded a penalty which is frankly something we could do with more of right now. And what alternatives do we have? Our only back row replacements were Earl and Martin; I don't think there's even any more in the Shadow Squad, although I guess EJ could call someone up now.

I'm happy to give Hill more time. That penalty against Wales was utterly moronic, but by and large he's been a solid workhorse lock. Hits a lot of rucks, makes a lot of tackles, fine at carrying. I'd stick with him at least through the 6N, not least because him Itoje and Ewels are the only locks in the squad at the moment...

I'd love to see changes in the backs. I assume Eddie is going to stick with Youngs-Ford-Farrell, but I think putting Daly on the bench to cover backs and then starting Malins would be interesting. In full 'out-there' mode I'd want Lawrence at 13 too, and I'll be a bit annoyed if Odogwu doesn't get a look in at some point.

Personally I'd like to see Launchbury in the squad again after the 6N and also given the captaincy. I think he has a different leadership style to the rest and may handle it better than Farrell (who by all accounts is utterly failing as a captain). The players may all say the respect and admire Farrell but the constant penalties would suggest either they don't respect him or he isn't making an effort to keep discipline in line. I have no doubt Farrell can get players fired up but is he really a leader in the sense of the one to make decisions and direct the team? He has frequently shown he just cannot get on any refs good side, no matter how much the game may or may not be going against us.

I feel the same about Farrells leadership...too often is missing when the chips are down. Or it looks that way from the comfort of the armchair...so i could be wrong.

Ive never been the biggest Alun Wynn Jones fan, but If i was in the trenches and had to follow one of Farrell or Alun Wynn...i know which one id follow.

I feel the same about Farrells leadership...too often is missing when the chips are down. Or it looks that way from the comfort of the armchair...so i could be wrong.

Ive never been the biggest Alun Wynn Jones fan, but If i was in the trenches and had to follow one of Farrell or Alun Wynn...i know which one id follow.
TBH I'd be happily following either as you could guarantee the enemy would make a point of trying to shoot those 2 as a matter of priority :D

Curry for Captain? Or how about Mako, feel like he'd be pretty levelheaded, also in front row so actually understand whats going on there

Curry for Captain? Or how about Mako, feel like he'd be pretty levelheaded, also in front row so actually understand whats going on there
Actually if I were to pick anyone from the front row it would probably be Sinckler sure he can be hothead ala Hartley but the added responsilibility might calm him down. Added benefit he's a prop who fit enough to probably put on an extended stint.

Still Curry or Itoje in my book at out of current starters.

With his current role in the team I don't think Itoje is suitable choice for captain. He's clearly been told to play right on the edge of legality, I don't mean nasty stuff, but right on the offside line, attacking the maul etc. and as a result of being on that line some days he's just going to get pinged all those marginal decisions. I don't think it's a good look for a captain to be getting pinged a lot.

With his current role in the team I don't think Itoje is suitable choice for captain. He's clearly been told to play right on the edge of legality, I don't mean nasty stuff, but right on the offside line, attacking the maul etc. and as a result of being on that line some days he's just going to get pinged all those marginal decisions. I don't think it's a good look for a captain to be getting pinged a lot.
Its interesting, I think a lot of people would say in Ireland James Ryan is a future captain, but him and AWJ are both in top 5 penalty offenders since the World Cup (though Itoje is comfortbaly in the lead in this stat). I'd agree mind, would want my captain to be the one pretending to control him

i wonder if Kruis is coming back soon? He could be a short term option...or Launchbury.

If Itoje is to be Captain, which i would agree with ...then id prefer he stopped the whooping and over celebrations for every turnover etc. he is a bit over the top.

Curry is the only other option long term...he's nailed on in the side and top class.

I have a suspicion there'll be a few new faces in the squad after this 6n...in the Summer and AI's...

Its interesting, I think a lot of people would say in Ireland James Ryan is a future captain, but him and AWJ are both in top 5 penalty offenders since the World Cup (though Itoje is comfortbaly in the lead in this stat). I'd agree mind, would want my captain to be the one pretending to control him

You have to cut AWJ some slack, he's an old man so it takes him a while to move away from tackle so he get's pinged for it a lot. :p
It's funny though, someone like McCaw was always praised for playing on the edge of legality. Him getting away with penalties is almost like a meme but isn't considered by a penalty magnet like others.

You have to cut AWJ some slack, he's an old man so it takes him a while to move away from tackle so he get's pinged for it a lot. :p
It's funny though, someone like McCaw was always praised for playing on the edge of legality. Him getting away with penalties is almost like a meme but isn't considered by a penalty magnet like others.
A player who plays right on the edge and gets caught isn't captain material. Once Itoje masters the ability to play on the edge and not get caught then he is a real contender.

I was about to mention McCaw, I think if Itoje reeled it back a small amount he could play at that level of somehow getting away with it yet always being on the edge. The problem Itoje has is refs have noticed it and are focusing on him and looking for anything to the extent last weekend he even got pinged for stuff he hadn't actually done but was on the edge of. I like he's playing on the edge because when he does it well its great we just need him at 95% of what he is now.

I was about to mention McCaw, I think if Itoje reeled it back a small amount he could play at that level of somehow getting away with it yet always being on the edge. The problem Itoje has is refs have noticed it and are focusing on him and looking for anything to the extent last weekend he even got pinged for stuff he hadn't actually done but was on the edge of. I like he's playing on the edge because when he does it well its great we just need him at 95% of what he is now.
Hill gave away that penalty to draw the refs attention away from Itoje all the time
#Justice4Jonny

Mark Wilson seems the most natural leader in the side based on his club role and also whenever he crops up in the behind the scenes videos - his spot in the side is far from assured, though, and he doesn't really show that leadership on game day (be that because the England dynamic is "Owen is captain, everyone else shut up and listen" or because he doesn't bring the same confidence from club to the big stage or whatever)

Hill gave away that penalty to draw the refs attention away from Itoje all the time
#Justice4Jonny

Mark Wilson seems the most natural leader in the side based on his club role and also whenever he crops up in the behind the scenes videos - his spot in the side is far from assured, though, and he doesn't really show that leadership on game day (be that because the England dynamic is "Owen is captain, everyone else shut up and listen" or because he doesn't bring the same confidence from club to the big stage or whatever)
Mark might not be in the team much longer though...

Curry would be good captain, but I agree with many on here that giving Itoje the responsibility, seems to just keep him from over doing it, meaning he is just on the edge rather than over it.
Watched him with Sarries and when he is captain his game seems to be right in the zone.

The current situation with Farrell, means he is taking ALL the responsibility, not a strength of his.
He needs to allow other around him to be more vocal and removing the captaincy would help.

Would you say Barritt was the leader in that Saracens side over Farrell..?

Well he was the captain, so.... :p

Saracens have never been short of leaders - Barritt, Wigglesworth, Burger
Then senior guys like Strettle, Wyles, Koch etc.

They've never been a one-man-leadership side

Latest posts