• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] England vs France (13/03/21)

No way!!!
Put Lawrence at 13 to give us so options.
I was being sarcastic, hence the /s... but alarmingly, the more I think about it, the more likely I feel it is.

Presumably when EJ selected his squad, he had anticipated the prospect that an OC might get injured and had selected Lawrence and/or Odogwu as cover.

Bringing Marchant, decent though his form has been, into the team would be an utter slap in the face for both Lawrence and Odogwu. It would also be a slap in the face for Simmonds, Simmonds and Smith, for example; it would demonstrate that it is possible to get a game for England on current form from outside the 28 man squad, thus suggesting that SS, JS and MS aren't in good enough form to be selected.

I'm aware I'm criticising something which hasn't happened yet, but unless Odogwu or Lawrence get the jersey, either the initial squad selection was wrong or EJ's man management was wrong.

Likely Lawrence, with a 6-2 split, I think Daly is regarded as Back 3 for England, has EJ even started him at OC?
Plus Lawrence actually made at least one bullnosed carry (i say this as he bucked like a rhino on would be french tackler, made me laugh)
I think he's in line if Slade is in fact out, and with Ringrose out, meaning a likely Henshaw/Aki midfield for ireland, some size may be needed in midfield to prevent front ball off first phase

Likely Lawrence, with a 6-2 split, I think Daly is regarded as Back 3 for England, has EJ even started him at OC?
He's had four caps at centre - only one of them a start, and that was back in 2016

Still: It's EJ, and who knows how his mind works.
I'd be less surprised at Daly starting than Lawrence - especially as Lawrence is a 12, not a 13

He's had four caps at centre - only one of them a start, and that was back in 2016

Still: It's EJ, and who knows how his mind works.
I'd be less surprised at Daly starting than Lawrence - especially as Lawrence is a 12, not a 13
Always thought Daly's natural position is 13 albeit I don't think he's played much at club level there recently let alone internationally.

Odogwu's in the squad, the ***le's gone, there's little pressure. He's made his name through what he's done at 13 and if Slade's out it would be a real slap in the face if he doesn't get properly involved in this one. From a man management perspective it would be the right thing to do. Although by now he's probably forgotten how to play.

Always thought Daly's natural position is 13 albeit I don't think he's played much at club level there recently let alone internationally.

Odogwu's in the squad, the ***le's gone, there's little pressure. He's made his name through what he's done at 13 and if Slade's out it would be a real slap in the face if he doesn't get properly involved in this one. From a man management perspective it would be the right thing to do. Although by now he's probably forgotten how to play.
He'll be summer squad, being made to earn his spot I'd say, and as they noticed in that video, EJ may have issues with his fitness (or did a year or so ago) so just gotta build it up. You never know, he may get 22 shirt, but I'm not sure

How do you earn your spot by not playing for two months?

Would've been better off not calling him and letting him get consistent game time for his club

Would've been better off not calling him and letting him get consistent game time for his club
International level is a massive step up, the little details become massive, look at Slade for the try saving dislodgement of the ball at the weekend. If at any point he slows down, or reduces speed a little, France have scored
Not saying Odogwu cant do the same, but he'll be learning a hell of a lot within that camp, and by training with the best players in England under the eye of the head coach, it'll help with the fine tuning of what is clearly awesome potential
Im fairly sure EJ is running a multitude of game scenarios, i dont think he's the kind of coach to run "easy" training sessions

Totally agree.

But he's in the squad. And this isn't a normal squad - it's a smallish squad in a long term closed bubble, not an extended squad for a weekend's training. If Jones had no intention of playing him he shouldn't have picked him.

He'll have been excited by the call up and will have learnt, but the excitement will have been dulled somewhat - sportspeople want to play, it's what they do. Even a reasonable run off the bench would make it worthwhile.

Odds on Joseph's phone ringing.....

Totally agree.

But he's in the squad. And this isn't a normal squad - it's a smallish squad in a long term closed bubble, not an extended squad for a weekend's training. If Jones had no intention of playing him he shouldn't have picked him.

He'll have been excited by the call up and will have learnt, but the excitement will have been dulled somewhat - sportspeople want to play, it's what they do. Even a reasonable run off the bench would make it worthwhile.

Odds on Joseph's phone ringing.....
Marchants already been called so Joseph defo ain't playing

Latest posts