• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] England vs Scotland (06/02/21)

Agree with that. Eng under Jones have never ever been able to adapt when a game is not going to plan. That have never improved in this aspect of leadership and decision making and until they do they won't win a RWC. It's a massive weakness with E.J. The Eng of 2003 could adapt to what was happening in front of them, EJs lots haven't a clue where to start. They can give you great one off games when all goes to plan like RWC semi vs NZ but when the s**t hit the fan (like the final) they just plod on with same old game plan even when it's clearly nit working. Won't win anything big.
Do you blame coach or players?

True, but they were about a metre out trying to stop someone who'd got forward momentum. This was a meat and drink tackle for a FB - Daly's positioning was fine, he just made a mess of it.
Yup Daly doesn't get a free pass because two other guys who also should of made the tackle didn't.

Sweaty socks totally deserved to win.
Lessons learned.
You need to play cant live on reputations( all Sarries players)

Sometimes you need the ball to win.

If plan A is not working after 50 mins move to Plan B.

Some players are better off bench than starting (Genge)

Heyho no grand slam I do hope back to drawing board and see a new face or two next week.

NB. has got to have been worst International match in decade or so.
I take nothing away from Scotlands victory.

Both, players need to take control when required but coaches need to let them do it. Honestly I don't think EJ creates that culture of fear they can't just his players are so completely undroppable he won't breed the idea of playing better.

Little bit the players, mainly the coach. I've said it before, EJ has always said he wants England to play with heads up rugby, but it almost seems the opposite. They stick to the game plan rigidly and can't adapt when it doesn't work. Also it seems that Jones only picks people who sticks to his tactics and anyone who doesn't is out.

Big = RWC
Well there ain't many coaches that have ever won that, although EJ has as an assistant.

I'm a bit old school: I see the 6N as our bread and butter. World Cups are nice, but they're so ridiculously hard to win that the greatest rugby team on the planet has only won 3.

Stats are pretty mad

35% vs 65% posession,
30% vs 70% territory

Penalties 15 vs 6

Eng: 27 tackles missed,
Scot: 8 tackles missed

Daly: 2 tackles, 2 missed
May: 2 tackles, 2 missed
Slade: 6 tackles, 4 missed
That's Scotland's missed tackle limit before we even make it to the halfbacks for England

Stats are pretty mad

35% vs 65% posession,
30% vs 70% territory

Penalties 15 vs 6

Eng: 27 tackles missed,
Scot: 8 tackles missed

Daly: 2 tackles, 2 missed
May: 2 tackles, 2 missed
Slade: 6 tackles, 4 missed
That's Scotland's missed tackle limit before we even make it to the halfbacks for England
With those kind of stats, can we say that England only losing by 5 was a mini-victory?:cool:

Come on now let's be sensible here
1612644480441.png

Congrats to Scotland. Didn't see that coming, but they were superior in all departments. The referee didn't help but that's nit picking. England didn't deserve to win.

That was shocking from England and EJ and the coaching staff must take the blame. WTF is this kicking tactic all about ? It just giving the opposition the ball back!

Farrell continues his awful AI form and is a spent force. BV looks so out of sorts he needs to go back and play club rugby for a while and get some form back. The opposition know what he is going to do every time he has the ball. Youngs has one decent game in 10 and still he gets picked. He must have a lot of dirt on Eddie salted away.
France , Ireland and Wales will all fancy their chances against us after today.

Depressingly, I don't see Eddie making many changes for next week. I'd bench Daly, BV, Farrell, and Hill. Bring in Malins, Earl at 8, Lawes to start and Willis in the 23. just for starters.

Last edited:
Congrats to Scotland. Didn't see that coming, but they were superior in all departments. The referee didn't help but that's nit picking. England didn't deserve to win.

That was shocking from England and EJ and the coaching staff must take the blame. WTF is this kicking tactic all about ? It just giving the opposition the ball back!

Farrell continues his awful AI form and is a spent force. BV looks so out of sorts he needs to go back and play club rugby for a while and get some form back. The opposition know what he is going to do every time he has the ball. Youngs has one decent game in 10 and still he gets picked. Her must have a lot of dirt on Eddie salted away.
France , Ireland and Wales will all fancy their chances against us after today.

Depressingly, I don't see Eddie making many changes for next week. I'd bench Daly, BV, Farrell, and Hill. Bring in Malins, Earl at 8, Lawes to start and Willis in the 23. just for starters.
The biggest issue with Farrell is that he had no vision and very little pace. For Saracens he had Barritt, Goode, Losowski and Wigglesworth as his eyes and ears and they were also not scared to tell him.

In the current England side, you replace with Lawrence (new cap), Daly (always been quiet), and Slade (another quiet one). So he no decision-makers around him.
If we follow the Sarries style, we need to keep Youngs at SH!!! bring in Malins at FB as a start.
In the pack there were too many runners running similar lines today, we miss Mako and Sincks distribution skills to keep the defence honest. Their pull backs and tip one create options.

Agree, that Earl needs to start, with Lawes at 6.

EJ seems to have a game plans for when all the key players are fit and on form. There is no plan for if he needs to change personnel. In club rugby you havec the time and some money to buy similar style players, but in international there isn't.

Apparently, statistically if England are behind after 20 mins with Farrell at 10 they have never won.

Damming indictment here from Planet rugby
What's most relevant today though is that with 20 to go, England need a score.
Jones' response is to replace a barnstorming centre (who's seen no ball all game) with a creative flyhalf and keep the guy whose been stifling the attack all day (and has had no game time at all in months) on the pitch.

I know Jones loves Farrell and I'm not one who thinks he's a poor player but that's just madness.

I am not reading all this.

We play structured rugby when its not required, but play loose and aimless when we need sturcture

Youngs is awful

Lawrence is just there for no reason at all (and its not his fault)

Farrell is our weakest link

Why does everyone run down the 9 channel. Youngs has to make a choice. That's not a good idea

We have 3 of the fastest creative back 3, a creative 13 and an exciting 12 who don't see the ball.

We kick in panic

We play with less intensity. I can't remember a turnover.

We have no real game plan. And that's the fudging problem. Its loose, and random but at the same time restricted and naive.

STOP GETTING RUGBY WRONG

ps. Fair play Scotland. Fully deserived!

Latest posts