• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] England vs Scotland (06/02/21)

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
1612171917517.png

Given what happened on Scotland's last visit to Twickers, with us scoring some great tries and then falling apart spectacularly, I would prefer it if we didn't do anything adventurous in this game and just stuck to our defend-and-kick plan and ground out a win. Leave the flashy stuff for Italy.

I feel you'll be very pleasantly surprised, then - especially with rain predicted all week (inc. Saturday)

Given what happened on Scotland's last visit to Twickers, with us scoring some great tries and then falling apart spectacularly, I would prefer it if we didn't do anything adventurous in this game and just stuck to our defend-and-kick plan and ground out a win. Leave the flashy stuff for Italy.
That was nothing to do with style and all about mental weakness and a leadership vacuum, fault lines which haven't been fixed.

Ford has been drooling over his new spiral up and under in the press, so NEJ you're likely to get your wish. Can't wait.

Ref saving flashy stuff for Ita, problem is that against better teams you have to be able to call on a range of tactics. If we're too frightened to try vs Sco what chances on pulling rabbits out of hats if Plan A isn't working against SA or NZ, Fra or even a more experienced Wal? Balance and playing what's in front of you tops preordained.

Ref saving flashy stuff for Ita, problem is that against better teams you have to be able to call on a range of tactics. If we're too frightened to try vs Sco what chances on pulling rabbits out of hats if Plan A isn't working against SA or NZ, Fra or even a more experienced Wal? Balance and playing what's in front of you tops preordained.
While I agree in principle, in practice, my heart can't take another game like that 2019 one. :oops: And if you're right and the fault lines are still there, that, together with the fact it's our opening game, our Sarries contingent is possibly undercooked, there's no home crowd, the weather is dodgy and Scotland are a good side with dangerous runners and a strong scrum, makes me think that boring, defensive, kick-heavy, forward-led, low risk, result-is-all-that-matters rugby is the sensible way to go.

With that in mind, I think Eddie will stick with what he knows, including a 6-2 split on the bench. I'm thinking:
1. Genge
2. George
3. Stuart
4. Itoje
5. Lawes
6. Curry
7. Wilson
8. Binny
9. Youngs
10. Ford
11. May
12. Farrell
13. Slade
14. Watson
15. Daly

16. LCD
17. Obano
18. Williams
19. Hill
20. Earl
21. Willis
22. Robson
23. Lawrence

Possibly swap Lawrence and Slade, but I'll be surprised if its much different from that.

I'll take that pack although 6-2 is always a risk.

If weather is dodgy then Lawrence has to start and it would make sense to have Malins on the bench over one of the open sides.

TBH I don't really want to see Ford / Faz. More emotional than anything else, but just watching someone of Ford's talent/ instinct blindly hoofing it in the air is heartbreaking. And contrary to his pronouncements he must hate it too.

While I agree in principle, in practice, my heart can't take another game like that 2019 one. :oops: And if you're right and the fault lines are still there, that, together with the fact it's our opening game, our Sarries contingent is possibly undercooked, there's no home crowd, the weather is dodgy and Scotland are a good side with dangerous runners and a strong scrum, makes me think that boring, defensive, kick-heavy, forward-led, low risk, result-is-all-that-matters rugby is the sensible way to go.

With that in mind, I think Eddie will stick with what he knows, including a 6-2 split on the bench. I'm thinking:
1. Genge
2. George
3. Stuart
4. Itoje
5. Lawes
6. Curry
7. Wilson
8. Binny
9. Youngs
10. Ford
11. May
12. Farrell
13. Slade
14. Watson
15. Daly

16. LCD
17. Obano
18. Williams
19. Hill
20. Earl
21. Willis
22. Robson
23. Lawrence

Possibly swap Lawrence and Slade, but I'll be surprised if its much different from that.
If Lawrence doesn't start then I don't think he'll be on the bench. Malins would make more sense being able to cover a variety of positions.

I'll take that pack although 6-2 is always a risk.

If weather is dodgy then Lawrence has to start and it would make sense to have Malins on the bench over one of the open sides.

TBH I don't really want to see Ford / Faz. More emotional than anything else, but just watching someone of Ford's talent/ instinct blindly hoofing it in the air is heartbreaking. And contrary to his pronouncements he must hate it too.

Most recent Squidge video is on why Ford is so good

Would back up your statement in bold.

Edit: automatic video embedding. Cool

Ah tbf I only ever really see him shilling on reddit - not watched any of his videos since the world cup when he was making a big sob story about how his videos were getting taken down for using copyrighted content...which he was

On the other hand he makes a good point about how Ford reads the game far better than Farrell

I'm not feeling wholly confident about this game. There are a few reasons for this:
1. The Saracens contingent will be rusty
2. We have a couple of key players injured in the forwards
3. No home crowd.
4. Scotland are dangerous when they have nothing to lose - remember last year they should have won in Dublin in round 1.

i see the bookies are giving Scotland a 15 point start which is a joke with how ordinary we were in the ANC. I think Scotland will quietly fancy their chances. I think England will ultimately get home but it could be a bit of a struggle.

Prediction: England 26 Scotland 18.

4. Scotland are dangerous when they have nothing to lose - remember last year they should have won in Dublin in round 1.
Nothing to lose? The tournament hasn't even started yet.

I know it gets said every year but Scotland really do look to be on the up. With Wales and Ireland's recent form I'd say they have a very good chance at 3rd this year; 2nd if they beat us in the opening game, although I do feel we should beat them fairly handily (can't wait for this to come back and bite me).

Heard from a friend close to Eddie that Itoje will start at 8......

Heard from a friend close to Eddie that Itoje will start at 8......
Eddie always does one stupid selection these days just to serve his own arrogance. I guess Itoje could be an ok 8 but never seen him there for sarries.

Just messing around, , I know you guys always say he should play lock...I still believe he could be England's Pieter-Steff Du Toit......

Latest posts