• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] England vs Scotland (06/02/21)

Two things.....
Jones has caught the English disease, this isn't how he managed his club sides or Japan.
A lot of underestimation of Scotland - England have beaten them just once in the last 4 attempts

Two things.....
Jones has caught the English disease, this isn't how he managed his club sides or Japan.
A lot of underestimation of Scotland - England have beaten them just once in the last 4 attempts
But in the decade before 2018 Scotland only had one win and one draw against England, and in the 2017 6N England beat Scotland by a record score of 61-21.

Captain Overrated was at his invisible best today, should have thrown in a few no arms late hits to inspire the boys!

Well done the jocks!

Sorry, but all this solipsistic crying by England fans is risible. A narrow home loss to an improving Scotland team doesn't make you a bad team all of a sudden, even taking into account it happened for the first time since 1983.
'Imporving Scotland' I'm sorry but well done on the win it was deserved and all but you guys barely scrapped a win a match where you should of taken us to the sword. Part of the reason England fans are so miffed isn't just playing badly but playing so badly against a side where even we were only slightly better like one intercept try, one moment of individual genius and we'd have one.

'Imporving Scotland' I'm sorry but well done on the win it was deserved and all but you guys barely scrapped a win a match where you should of taken us to the sword. Part of the reason England fans are so miffed isn't just playing badly but playing so badly against a side where even we were only slightly better like one intercept try, one moment of individual genius and we'd have one.
I am not Scottish.;)

I am not Scottish.;)
Either way it's a pretty poor loss and it only a great win due to the historical nature of it. The BBC headline has put them up as ***le contenders. Well I can't see them troubling France at all and nothing about yesterday's performance would have Wales and Ireland worrying about loses unless they fail to show up (possible).

With losing this game my enthusiasm for the 6 Nations from an England perspective has completely gone. Unless this result forces Eddie to radically change the personnel and the style of play I can see us going nowhere in the next 4 games and just fulfilling the fixtures like the ANC. I don't think we can win the tournament from this position. We could see a repeat of the 2018 debacle when we came 5th. If we continue playing like this in the rest of the 6 nations at the end of the tournament Eddie should go.

Same here, the France game could be embarrassing. Saying that I refuse to believe that England will play that badly again. It was probably the worst performance I've ever seen (I'm 29).

The frustrating thing is that you can't see changes happening, he will continue to pick his favourites. As somebody posted earlier there are far too many players in the squad who know they will be picked regardless of form, how on earth is that conducive to getting the best out of anyone?

Also, I think it's worth noting that while a lot of people are calling for Lawes to replace Hill, Hill actually topped the tackle charts (by a reasonably long way) with 24, only missed 1 and was the only forward to win a turnover. He wasn't perfect by any means but I find it odd that people seem to be suggesting that replacing him would make any noticeable improvement. He definitely was not part (or at least a major part) of the issues today.
Yep .There are at least a dozen that need replacing before Hill.

Europe was soft as last year, they lost the only game that they realistically could and nearly lost another to France A.

i don't think it's all doom and gloom like the thread would suggest but they need a few improvements, not on the scale of the two sides we need tomorrow but still.
To be that awful and still get a losing bonus point seems more impressive now that I've slept on it.:)

With losing this game my enthusiasm for the 6 Nations from an England perspective has completely gone. Unless this result forces Eddie to radically change the personnel and the style of play I can see us going nowhere in the next 4 games and just fulfilling the fixtures like the ANC. I don't think we can win the tournament from this position. We could see a repeat of the 2018 debacle when we came 5th. If we continue playing like this in the rest of the 6 nations at the end of the tournament Eddie should go.
We did last year. Losing bonus point on opening day, and we've even got a better points difference after the first game than we had last year. I'm optimistic. :)

England were poor, but to have only have lost by 5 points with all the possession that Scotland had?
I think Scotland should be looking at why the score was so low!

Frankly, if you concede only 11 points in a match, you should win every time. It takes a special kind of awful to lose a match like that, which is what makes it so annoying.

Frankly, if you concede only 11 points in a match, you should win every time. It takes a special kind of awful to lose a match like that, which is what makes it so annoying.
It's a weird feeling being awful but loosing to a side playing well is better than being awful playing a side barely scrapping to be better.

We just can't play if we don't have dominance up front - parity or worse and we have no answers with Farrell at 10
Or Ford for that matter, both rely heavily on front foot ball.
But who is there that can 'see' the state of the game and act accordingly, that is English qualified?

Yep .There are at least a dozen that need replacing before Hill.
Also interesting that Curry was nullified in the jackals without his brother in arms Underhill. Willis would have been a better option, but for Billy, with Wilson at 8.

The one thing that made Billy good was his passing, so defenders couldn't attack him in case he passed. Recently I have not seen him pass after fixing a defender once. His game has become one dimensional, like the rest of the team.

Sorry, but all this solipsistic crying by England fans is risible. A narrow home loss to an improving Scotland team doesn't make you a bad team all of a sudden, even taking into account it happened for the first time since 1983.
When a performance is that poor and slightly less recent ones have only been marginally better it's kind of hard to consider anything but your own team, England chose to constantly kick and never really put it through the hands, England chose to kick frequently without any real pressure to one of the best attacking FBs in world rugby, certainly Scotland were the deserved winners and outplayed England, Townsend will probably be scratching his head and wondering how England could still have won it in the final minutes considering the stats etc.

So from the dissection, what should be the team for next week?

Or Ford for that matter, both rely heavily on front foot ball.
But who is there that can 'see' the state of the game and act accordingly, that is English qualified?
Smith is probably the only young 10 who frequently plays on the back foot.

Latest posts