• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] France vs Scotland (26/03/21)

Do you know if does/has done any coaching while a player?
I think he'd have a lot to offer as a coach, but there's plenty of players who have said they want to take a step back once retiring as a player because they don't like not being able to have direct influence on a game (Wilko said he gets more nervous as a coach than he did as a player - and he was a bag of nerves as a player - because he knows he can't do anything once the whistle goes, that's why he's only ever done part time consultancy gigs since retirement). It must be tough dedicating your life to playing the game and then being so close to it/not being able to get out on the pitch.
Not sure if he has the personality to be a pundit, but then I don't know if I'd have guessed Warbs would be as good as he is, either
I'm not aware of him having actively pursued coaching to any degree. He does 'seem' the classic type of player who could make a successful transition... if there is any such thing but that rarely actually pans out as anyone could predict. Even when it does, it can all come down to the right place at the right time... as it appears to be with PO'C. Didn't work out with Stade but seems to the manor-born with the IRFU.

If I were AWJ, I not only would want to pursue coaching... I'd also want to expand my horizons in much the same way ROG did with the Crusaders and now La Rochelle. Obviously if he does go down the coaching route, I assume that he (& all of Wales) would love Alun Wyn to coach Wales one day... but it really wouldn't hurt to get out from under the WRU's purview for a while and see how 'its' done elsewhere.

I'm not aware of him having actively pursued coaching to any degree. He does 'seem' the classic type of player who could make a successful transition... if there is any such thing but that rarely actually pans out as anyone could predict. Even when it does, it can all come down to the right place at the right time... as it appears to be with PO'C. Didn't work out with Stade but seems to the manor-born with the IRFU.

If I were AWJ, I not only would want to pursue coaching... I'd also want to expand my horizons in much the same way ROG did with the Crusaders and now La Rochelle. Obviously if he does go down the coaching route, I assume that he (& all of Wales) would love Alun Wyn to coach Wales one day... but it really wouldn't hurt to get out from under the WRU's purview for a while and see how 'its' done elsewhere.
I think that's what we all wanted with Johnno, then the RFU made him an offer he couldn't refuse and it ended up putting him off coaching for life <_<

I think that's what we all wanted with Johnno, then the RFU made him an offer he couldn't refuse and it ended up putting him off coaching for life <_<
Yeah, it deffo all seemed to happen a bit quick there like... thing is with Johnno though, I don't think he had the temperament for 'dealings' with the English media because they always turn on you eventually no matter who you are. When that happened with him at RWC 2011 I get the impression he was MAJORLY ****ed off.

Or is that just reserved for Welsh people who wont conform. Well that aint me, couldn't give a monekys unlike some compatriots

Or is that just reserved for Welsh people who wont conform. Well that aint me, couldn't give a monekys unlike some compatriots
1616911729020.gif

Congrats on hitting 1000 btw... but still :mad:!

Last edited:
I'd really like him to go into coaching... seeing all our (& other NH nations') talent disappear up their own arses as pundits is such a waste of hard-earned intellectual property! Either way, I can't see him exiting the game, Wales and Rugby seem like the be-all, end-all to AWJ.
Think you're spot on cant see him wanting to stop playing, but there comes a time when the body doesn't repair its self as quickly so I hope he calls it a day himself but, yes coaching is where I'm sure he will go.

Think you're spot on cant see him wanting to stop playing, but there comes a time when the body doesn't repair its self as quickly so I hope he calls it a day himself but, yes coaching is where I'm sure he will go.
Am sure he wont be short of offers for work; not necessarily in a hands on role maybe more ambassadorial and with a good agent he also has the marketing properties to do PR work.

Last edited:
It's one half of Pearce and Barnes. What can you expect.

While I fully understand as a fan, getting frustrated by decisions that you'd like to go one way or another, I think its important to realize these referees are highly trained, Barnes is one of if not the best in the world at his job. Yes mistakes can be made, but in this instance, while a tweak in the laws should be made re cardable offences that fail to stop a try, it isnt currently in there, and therefore, Barnes cannot give a yellow card to the Scots
While we all know refs can have a bad game and miss things, just like players can, its ingrained in our culture not to slabber at them endlessly for "incompetence". They do their best, same as everyone else, and in this sport we respect the referees, even if we disagree with them, even if they make mistakes

There are 4 officials including a TMO. There shouldn't be very few if any mistakes. I would prefer no TMO and go back to good old honest mistakes but now its trial by TV unfortunately.

What mistakes did the Refs make in this game? Perhaps Scotland should have been given a warning earlier for repeated penalties but that's not a mistake it's at the refs discretion.

Double movement involved in a Scottish try for one. It was actually two movements not a double one. He had time for a breather before eventually grounding it. Barnesy right in front of the pack with a clear view of the ball and man.

Scotland were superb. They showed balls to turn down easy 3 points a number of times in search of a winner.

Dulin really should have kicked that out at the end. Why didn't he? The Championship was already in Wales.

Not sure France are all they're cracked up to be or ''will be''. Ultimately another disappointing campaign for them.

PS - Dave Cherry is now my 2nd favourite hooker. He looks hard as ****! Absolute animal.
Ulster recently drafted in a club hooker called bradley roberts, and I have to say he's my fave

Check out the barnet

1617008073715.png

Double movement involved in a Scottish try for one. It was actually two movements not a double one. He had time for a breather before eventually grounding it. Barnesy right in front of the pack with a clear view of the ball and man.

I think that would have been harsh to disallow that. when watching people seem to just be viewing the slow-mo of it so it looks like he takes an age to make the placement. In real time it's about 1-2 seconds.

looking at the highlights here in real time. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/56549417

He's brought to the floor with 14:02 on the game time, Barnes awards the try 2 seconds later at 14:04

There are 4 officials including a TMO. There shouldn't be very few if any mistakes. I would prefer no TMO and go back to good old honest mistakes but now its trial by TV unfortunately.
The TMO doesnt get involved in everything however... for example, I cant slate someone when I can understand their reasoning. First try was a late placement, but sitll a placement with the arm only, didnt move the body to wriggle or squirm closer to the line
The repeated penalties were all in one phase, could have yellowed yes, and in hindsight was maybe the right call, but he wanted to give them the warning
(Im actually of the opinion if you're gonna cheat in the red zone at least stop the ball going out from there, make it count :p)
But there was logic in each of the decisions made, and as such I dont think Barnes deserves to be berated for his performance. He reffed a good game of rugby, both teams had some good phases of play. I have much harsher opinions on refs who feel the need to hear the sound of their whistle and destroy momentum for both teams, than one's who occasionally make a call that can be debated
He's a good ref, and while debating his decisions is fair, its important for our sports culture not to get drawn into "the ref is shite, shouldnt be there, blah blah blah" if you get me?
I understand re TMO, sometimes think its needed to clean up game of high tackles etc, and useful for very foul acts missed. I watched a Lions v SA 2009 clip the other day with a horrific eye gouge in the first 2 mins by Schalke Burger, that would not be gotten away with today because of TMO's. But sometimes they do force themselves into a game and that can be annoying

Latest posts