• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] France vs Wales (20/03/2021)

Yeah I agree. Following on from that I was listening to someone (think it was the Dragons winger Ashton Hewitt though might be getting mixed up) but anyway he was making a similar point to you kind of. He said it's frustrating, and quite common, when you see people automatically write off these racist scum bags and idiots abusing players by saying "they aren't rugby fans" when they ******* are. We might not like it or find it uncomfortable to acknowledge it but these people, as depressing as it is, are rugby fans. To sweep it under the carpet by saying these aren't proper rugby fans as rugby means X Y and Z is counter productive.

As you say, **** has definitely changed in recent years in some respects but online has taken things up to a whole other stratosphere of ****.
I think the issue (in Wales particularly... but probably affects other nations to varying degrees too) is that rugby is so deep-rooted into the culture of being Welsh that... some of/most of these idiots probably 'consider' themselves rugby fans simply because they are patriotic & in Wales' case rugby is the ultimate emblem of our nation/culture.

I think the issue (in Wales particularly... but probably affects other nations to varying degrees too) is that rugby is so deep-rooted into the culture of being Welsh that... some of/most of these idiots probably 'consider' themselves rugby fans simply because they are patriotic & in Wales' case rugby is the ultimate emblem of our nation/culture.

True, but F me, if you watch the Dragons play every game then you are a hardcore masochist of a fan.

True, but F me, if you watch the Dragons play every game then you are a hardcore masochist of a fan.
Yeah... funny thing is I've just bought a new build in Dragons territory. It'll be built by September, so by that point I'll no longer be a blue (well no one will by that point to be fair) and I'll be a man of Gwent.

I'm not particularly into masochism but I do love an underdog, so I'll give them the old college try if you know what I mean.

Can't answer for prominent rugby playing areas but certainly being a rugby fan here (East Sussex Sussex, pretty close to Marlor) puts me in a huge minority I know very few other rugby fans outside of those I grew up playing with. I don't think there is a huge wide spread fan base or passion by comparison but of course there is a degree of idiots that will watch the 6 Nations flock to social media to spout what ever Hatred they can conjure.

Can't answer for prominent rugby playing areas but certainly being a rugby fan here (East Sussex Sussex, pretty close to Marlor) puts me in a huge minority I know very few other rugby fans outside of those I grew up playing with. I don't think there is a wide spread
Yeah, to be honest... and this is not me casting shade at other nations etc. just my opinion (informed by over 40 years in this country... but part of the audience of the British and therefore English media) there are very few other places in the world where rugby is such an intrinsic facet of a nation. Obviously New Zealand (but they don't get half the hurt us Welsh do)... and to a lesser extent South Africa (obviously cricket is very popular... and football amongst the black population is the most popular sport there). Then maybe the Pacific Islands.

I think this dictates Wales is a perfect storm for this kinda thing when Rugby is concerned. I'd imagine that England would suffer similar incidents when the national football team is involved.

What's wrong with Dragons games? Why is it a masochism?
Until recently they were massive whipping boys. Since Dean Ryan has taken over, this has changed somewhat, they still struggle but they do now win the occasional game.

1616446156103.gif

I can see why you think that but I think it was because he was talking about the unacceptable abuse Williams got and that just rolled that Into a "it's especially unacceptable considering he did nothing wrong" kind of thing. That could be me being too generous to him but I didn't quite hear it the same way you did but that's probably my bias as well.

"What is even more unacceptable here is the fact that Liam Williams did nothing wrong whatsoever.

It's brilliant play by Liam Williams here. He gets back to his feet, legally, then [Antoine] Dupont has lifted the ball off the floor.

This means now, even if it was a tackle or a ruck, that phase is now over. It is now open play.

Liam Williams is quite entitled to do the tackle technique that he does. That should have been play on.

The only thing you could argue is did it touch Liam Williams' hand in the process of making a tackle?

It may have done and, if so, it would have been a knock on only and a scrum. But it's certainly not a penalty."

The penalty was allegedly for going off feet, which Owens said he didn't do.
But if it was a deliberate knock (as surely he wasn't trying to take the ball with one hand) then he might have walked for that and a penalty would have resulted.

Imagine if an England centric rugby show wheeled out a retired English ref to suggest England were robbed?

Sore losers, arrogant, etc.
It could easily be he (scrum 5) who pays the piper (Owens) calls the tune or put simply 'dont bite the hand that feeds you...Nigel'

Am technically agreeing it would look like that but it's more likely owens is pandering to the paymasters.
Or just to the 'fans' who want to hear that their team should've won if not for this or that... every country has them

Just a word on the officials yesterday. I thought both Luke Pearce and Wayne Barnes as TMO both did a great job. Pascal Gauzere should take note.

Excellent display from Wales but more than naive in the last 10 minutes with the lead they had. They must be gutted to lose that from the position they were in.

Wales should provide more Lions after yesterday, but I still wouldn't take AWJ. There are 6 better locks in England Ireland and Scotland (Itoje, Kruis, Ryan, Henderson, Beirne and J Gray)
LRZ find of the 6 Nations, Dupont , Beirne, Navidi , Watson and Curry top players for their respective countries IMO.
Yes it was a good job for Luke Pearce and Wayne Barnes no problem but ask them to do it in french and the result may be less obvious. For Pascal Gauzere and TMO Ruiz It would have been better to let them chat in their native language and then give their decision to the players in English

Yes it was a good job for Luke Pearce and Wayne Barnes no problem but ask them to do it in french and the result may be less obvious. For Pascal Gauzere and TMO Ruiz It would have been better to let them chat in their native language and then give their decision to the players in English
It seems obvious that they should be speaking to each other in their first language. Some of the decisions are so convoluted that a small translation error can make a big difference.

But saying that, I've noticed that French refereeing teams seem to take a lot more time and care over their discussions. e.g. instead of just replying "that's correct" the TMO often re-states the decision step by step.

*edit - plus, if they were speaking French, we monolingual English speakers could pretend any decisions against us were obviously a conspiracy...

It seems obvious that they should be speaking to each other in their first language. Some of the decisions are so convoluted that a small translation error can make a big difference.

But saying that, I've noticed that French refereeing teams seem to take a lot more time and care over their discussions. e.g. instead of just replying "that's correct" the TMO often re-states the decision step by step.

*edit - plus, if they were speaking French, we monolingual English speakers could pretend any decisions against us were obviously a conspiracy...
It sounded like Pearce wanted too much info. And was lacking confidence. Instead of stating on field decision is a try he might have been better simply asking if there was any reason not to award a try. Then Barnesy wouldn't subconsciously have felt his hands were tied.

It sounded like Pearce wanted too much info. And was lacking confidence. Instead of stating on field decision is a try he might have been better simply asking if there was any reason not to award a try. Then Barnesy wouldn't subconsciously have felt his hands were tied.
If Pearce gave atry he must have seen the ball grounded. Yet he asked if there was any evidence that it wasn't grounded. Which in effect casts doubt on what he says he saw

Latest posts