• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] France vs Wales (20/03/2021)

If Pearce gave atry he must have seen the ball grounded. Yet he asked if there was any evidence that it wasn't grounded. Which in effect casts doubt on what he says he saw
I cant agree with everyone saying what a good match the officials had. The penalty which was given against Wales right at the end was outrageous, made worse by the fact that France committed exactly the same offence 1 minute later (first man at the breakdown off his feet)

I cant agree with everyone saying what a good match the officials had. The penalty which was given against Wales right at the end was outrageous, made worse by the fact that France committed exactly the same offence 1 minute later (first man at the breakdown off his feet)
I have to say I thought it was reffed better than any game so far
Clear communication, no BS, and actually went through the rules process, ticking boxes as he went to decide the scope of the offense.
Going off feet is deemed okay as long as you attempt to ruck and then are forced to the ground, however refs are tighter on players just folding over the ball when they're killing game time, this has been set out before I think. As such, there was a keen eye on Wales at the time, and they got pinged for playing too cautiously, rather than playing rugby
I didnt see the penalty given at the end, but even so, I dont think Wales can have many arguments.
If you looked back on a lot of rugby matches you'd find a lot of minor offences at rucks getting called or missed, if its seen, its pinged, but sometimes you get away with it. Its the nature of the game, part of rugby is the art of bending the rules to make sure you can cheat without getting caught

Hi - so what you are saying is that if the same rule gets broken the referee has sole discretion to either punish it with a penalty or not punish it at all. I must look that one up in the laws of Rugby.

Hi - so what you are saying is that if the same rule gets broken the referee has sole discretion to either punish it with a penalty or not punish it at all. I must look that one up in the laws of Rugby.
Not at all, but there is an art to being deceptive, there is so much going on on a rugby page at any one time, its a nightmare for a ref to manage, so they pick focus points to look at. In general, unless its blatantly obvious, sealing off at a ruck is less penalised, however when a team is trying to kill clock and not even go forward with the ball, the other offences diminish in terms of likelihood, meaning a higher focus on sealing off by the offensive team
I dont know the incident you're referring to, re France sealing off, so I cant even argue whether it was legal or not, it may have been and you'd need to send me a clip for me to understand where you're coming from
Judging a ref on one decision that you think didnt go your way though is a bit harsh, especially if its a subtle one. If someone punched Biggar in the face and he did nothing, then I'd see more of the argument

Surely in the dying minute why would France seal off? They were not trying to run the clock down so sealing off would put them at a disadvantage.

Surely in the dying minute why would France seal off? They were not trying to run the clock down so sealing off would put them at a disadvantage.
They might potentially to make sure they didnt get turned over, as I mentioned, I cant say without seeing the incident. Numerous sealing off offences go unpunished in a game, its usually just the blatant ones getting called, where its particularly obvious

When we say that referees do a good job it is also in comparison to the very controversial refereeing of Wales/England.
For France/Wales the refereeing as a whole was good, the decisions clear but it was obvious that in the last ten minutes the tension went up a notch and the pressure was such that inevitably Wales committed mistakes by absolutely wanting to maintain its advantage in the score and I do not think sincerely that Luke Pearce wanted to advantage France by not sanctioning it for possible fouls.
I watched again at the end of the match and I admit that even though I was happy with this victory in which 10 minutes earlier I no longer believed I had a little compassion watching these Welshmen upset by this defeat who maybe that night did not deserve it

A masterclass in whinging from the Welsh team

The term 'Masterclass' is probably overstating the contest there just a bit tbh... if you do want some real examples of how to moan and whinge after a loss though, Wales Online is probably still one of the best sources around ;).

&

Last edited:

This been posted before? Only checked last two pages.

I get the impression he's not very popular here? I'm not a massive fan, and a bit unconvinced by some of the analysis, but glad there is someone relatively popular putting stuff out.

Considering everything that went on in that last quarter I don't think they did a bad job at all, on balance I think you would be hard pushed to say that Wales didn't get far more decisions in their favour over the duration of the six nations, I know it's hard to accept a loss especially at the death after both teams gave a positive account of themselves and played some exciting attacking rugby more often that not there will be a loser take it on the chin and don't look to blame refs based on the odd incorrect descision, pretty sure if you put your France has on you could question how AWJ managed to stay on the pitch etc, etc.

Considering everything that went on in that last quarter I don't think they did a bad job at all, on balance I think you would be hard pushed to say that Wales didn't get far more decisions in their favour over the duration of the six nations, I know it's hard to accept a loss especially at the death after both teams gave a positive account of themselves and played some exciting attacking rugby more often that not there will be a loser take it on the chin and don't look to blame refs based on the odd incorrect descision, pretty sure if you put your France has on you could question how AWJ managed to stay on the pitch etc, etc.

Considering everything that went on in that last quarter I don't think they did a bad job at all, on balance I think you would be hard pushed to say that Wales didn't get far more decisions in their favour over the duration of the six nations, I know it's hard to accept a loss especially at the death after both teams gave a positive account of themselves and played some exciting attacking rugby more often that not there will be a loser take it on the chin and don't look to blame refs based on the odd incorrect descision, pretty sure if you put your France has on you could question how AWJ managed to stay on the pitch etc, 80mins.

It's become his forte. He is the master at gamesmanship whilst surviving 80mins.

Screenshot_20210327-112202.png

Deleted the above pics I posted on the France v Scotland thread last night and this morning

I'm assuming that was you as well as you just admitted to moving my posts without explanation

Latest posts