• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] Ireland Squad

I'm very meh about this at best. There's a lot more scenarios where this is a failure over a success or irrelevant (which I think is the most likely outcome).

Two biggest potential failures for me are:
- we don't have the money to offer a younger starter a contract that can keep them in Ireland because of this or;
- POM is not the best option in his position but gets a starting spot as he has a central contract (although the narrative that players are auto picked because of CCs rings false to me)

Happy from a Munster POV if slightly nonplussed about it from an Ireland POV. If he's not selected for Ireland he will be very valuable for Munster having our captain week in week out. I would imagine he will continue to make matchday 23s though. I would also hope that being CC's isn't a tiebreaker for selectors as O'Mahony was barely holding his spot this year pre ban. Not entirely sure he will manage to stave off challengers for his jersey in Munster as well with the 6 options we have, and the hopeful emergence of Hodnett at 7.

Sexton's contract has been criticised, somewhat fairly, despite him still being the best 10 we have.

At six I'd back Beirne, Stander and Doris ahead of him, Coombes and hopefully McCann will overtake him before the world cup. At seven there's Connors and VdF with Penny and hopefully Leavy ready to jump in ahead of him too. It's a brain dead signing.

Sexton's contract has been criticised, somewhat fairly, despite him still being the best 10 we have.

At six I'd back Beirne, Stander and Doris ahead of him, Coombes and hopefully McCann will overtake him before the world cup. At seven there's Connors and VdF with Penny and hopefully Leavy ready to jump in ahead of him too. It's a brain dead signing.
I reckon O'Mahoney knew he had the IRFI over a barrel in negotiations though. There'd be uproar if he wasn't offered a central contract and left, it would be a PR disaster for them.

I reckon O'Mahoney knew he had the IRFI over a barrel in negotiations though. There'd be uproar if he wasn't offered a central contract and left, it would be a PR disaster for them.
Maybe, not quite the same stature but they let Zebo and Ryan go who both looked set for a spot on the plane to Japan and copped massive criticism. (Although mostly for Zebo with Ryan proving to be the wrong call)

I don't think they make this signing without thinking he has significant value to bring to the starting XV which is upsetting.

Maybe, not quite the same stature but they let Zebo and Ryan go who both looked set for a spot on the plane to Japan and copped massive criticism. (Although mostly for Zebo with Ryan proving to be the wrong call)

I don't think they make this signing without thinking he has significant value to bring to the starting XV which is upsetting.
It was specifically the reaction to the Ryan thing that made me think they'd be cautious about doing it again. I guess time will tell whether he's still an Ireland starter for Farrell.

This is a bad deal. Not the best option now and definitely not the best option in two years. A one year deal like Sexton would have been okay, two is poor.

All about good negotiating. But Sexton getting IRFU deal paved way. And I'll say I disagree with both as it flaws system of national team and combined it 1m thar could be better spent elsewhere

All about good negotiating. But Sexton getting IRFU deal paved way. And I'll say I disagree with both as it flaws system of national team and combined it 1m thar could be better spent elsewhere
500k a year? Jesus

Right 600k for Sexton at this stage is madness. Not sure how big his international offers would be given his injury profile.

Right 600k for Sexton at this stage is madness. Not sure how big his international offers would be given his injury profile.
Madness isn't the word. Like say he gets an injury that puts him out for 12 weeks. He doesn't play too much as it is and those games for Ireland he needs to play less bow

The issue is with all like Ireland don't need Healy or Sexton or POM for year as nextbyear should be kind of developmental. We missed a shot with Covid to blood alot of youth. We would have taken a beating in some games but it in a strange time and when normality returns we'd have been in better place. I'm not saying any of the above should be completely shunyed out but financially it strange deals.

Latest posts