• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] Ireland Squad

I don't know how much we need Healy, but he is a safety valve who will hold up the scrum. It will be tough to get past our reliance on him, but Kilcoyne is better and Healy will bring nada from the bench. Can trust O'Sullivan at 17 while we find someone else to develop whoever that may be. I even think we have a few guys around the provinces who are outside of the squad right now (Byrne, Buckley, Cronin) who wouldn't let us down at 1 in an international, which is unlike the 10 situation where we are still way off being ready for post Sex(ton) Clarity. Don't begrudge Healy his deal, but I don't think the man needs to be starting games or even in the 23 next year.

'Athletically, he is phenomenal. We really don't produce guys like him in Ireland' https://the42.ie/5372936

He needs to improve his ruck accuracy and his height in the carry at times but by gum the sky is the limit for Baird. Ridiculous athlete.

Amazing to think a few years ago Ulster and Leinster had the route 66 programme because Ireland didn't produce athletic guys of that height now they're all popping out of the woodwork and the likes of Soroka are ending up in the backrow instead.

'Athletically, he is phenomenal. We really don't produce guys like him in Ireland' https://the42.ie/5372936

He needs to improve his ruck accuracy and his height in the carry at times but by gum the sky is the limit for Baird. Ridiculous athlete.

Amazing to think a few years ago Ulster and Leinster had the route 66 programme because Ireland didn't produce athletic guys of that height now they're all popping out of the woodwork and the likes of Soroka are ending up in the backrow instead.
By gum? Did your dentures fall out writing that?

So after the weekends inter pros I thought I'd jot down a few thoughts on players who are currently in the Ireland conversation:

Munster vs Connacht:
Haley - scored a great try, good overall game and has been in good form recently
Conway - fairly anonymous, a long way from the form he was in this time last year, no idea where he was on the first Connacht try
Farrell - had some strong carries but passing was very inconsistent, pretty standard for where he's been for a while
Daly - had a kick blocked down, one or two decent runs, doesn't really look like he should be in the squad at the moment
Casey - good service and looked to probe with snipes once or twice but not his best game, also got charged down
Coombes - would have liked to see more from him, can't really remember him doing a huge amount, apparently had 6 more carries than the next closest forward but didn't have a great metres per carry

Aki - looked busy and dynamic but gave away at least two stupid penalties, not nearly enough to displace Henshaw
Carty - embodied the inconsistency he's famous for and that a lot of players had in this game, the pass for Healy's try and grubber before the half were class but also had a pass to no one and a bunch of pointless kicks
Heffernan - had double the most metres of any forward and joint most tackles, but seem to remember a few overthrows despite Connacht having lineout dominance
Dillane - doesn't really show up on the basic stats but had some steals and blockdowns, good performance but there's a lot of secondrows around at the moment
Boyle - took his try well and held up a Munster one, probably lacks the top athletic traits of an international 8 but turns up in the right places

Ulster vs Leinster
Lowry - looked dangerous on the counterattack and showed his versatility slotting in at 10, would like to see him involved in any summer squads that happen
Baloucoune - obviously he's just back from a long term injury but this guy will be an international, makes good defensive reads and is very dangerous ball in hand as well as being a strong finisher, would love seeing him in the squad now
Hume - great feet, has a number of work ons but would also have him in a summer squad
McCloskey - had some good moments, offloading for the try, some good carries and a steal but don't think his passing game is there
Stockdale - quiet enough, winning a good highball and holding up JOB were the highlights, would still stick him in the 23 next week
Cooney - don't think he did a huge amount, outplayed by his opposite number
O'Sullivan - really feel for him, this was a pretty shocking game from him, got pulled on 25 minutes before coming back on due to Warwicks red and was subbed again for Moore, poor in the scrum and looked weak in the tackle, passing was good though
O'Toole - first missed tackle since 2019, set piece wasn't good enough but his loose play is very good, seem to remember some penalties though

O'Brien - didn't have as much time as he does at 15 but had a solid performance, arguably lucky not to see a tougher sanction early on the way such decision usually go
Ross Byrne - solid professional performance, tried to be more of a threat at the line and his kicking was at his usual high standard
McGrath - outplayed Cooney, has played some great stuff over this period
Ed Byrne - strong performance, took his try well and had thrown a lovely offload in the build up, scrummaged well and stopped Coetzee in his tracks early on
Bent - not actually in the Ireland conversation but wanted to say he's playing his best rugby at the moment
Ruddock - physical presence that was involved everywhere, smashed Baloucoune in a double hit, whatever about the legality, did get sat down a bit easily for the disallowed try and had his own yellow at the end
Van der Flier - was playing with a point to prove, looked unusually strong as a carrier, unfortunately failed a HIA at the half
Penny - unlucky that there's so many 7's at Leinster and that he's had his own injury problems, should also be involved in any summer squads

So after the weekends inter pros I thought I'd jot down a few thoughts on players who are currently in the Ireland conversation:

Munster vs Connacht:
Haley - scored a great try, good overall game and has been in good form recently
Conway - fairly anonymous, a long way from the form he was in this time last year, no idea where he was on the first Connacht try
Farrell - had some strong carries but passing was very inconsistent, pretty standard for where he's been for a while
Daly - had a kick blocked down, one or two decent runs, doesn't really look like he should be in the squad at the moment
Casey - good service and looked to probe with snipes once or twice but not his best game, also got charged down
Coombes - would have liked to see more from him, can't really remember him doing a huge amount, apparently had 6 more carries than the next closest forward but didn't have a great metres per carry

Aki - looked busy and dynamic but gave away at least two stupid penalties, not nearly enough to displace Henshaw
Carty - embodied the inconsistency he's famous for and that a lot of players had in this game, the pass for Healy's try and grubber before the half were class but also had a pass to no one and a bunch of pointless kicks
Heffernan - had double the most metres of any forward and joint most tackles, but seem to remember a few overthrows despite Connacht having lineout dominance
Dillane - doesn't really show up on the basic stats but had some steals and blockdowns, good performance but there's a lot of secondrows around at the moment
Boyle - took his try well and held up a Munster one, probably lacks the top athletic traits of an international 8 but turns up in the right places

Ulster vs Leinster
Lowry - looked dangerous on the counterattack and showed his versatility slotting in at 10, would like to see him involved in any summer squads that happen
Baloucoune - obviously he's just back from a long term injury but this guy will be an international, makes good defensive reads and is very dangerous ball in hand as well as being a strong finisher, would love seeing him in the squad now
Hume - great feet, has a number of work ons but would also have him in a summer squad
McCloskey - had some good moments, offloading for the try, some good carries and a steal but don't think his passing game is there
Stockdale - quiet enough, winning a good highball and holding up JOB were the highlights, would still stick him in the 23 next week
Cooney - don't think he did a huge amount, outplayed by his opposite number
O'Sullivan - really feel for him, this was a pretty shocking game from him, got pulled on 25 minutes before coming back on due to Warwicks red and was subbed again for Moore, poor in the scrum and looked weak in the tackle, passing was good though
O'Toole - first missed tackle since 2019, set piece wasn't good enough but his loose play is very good, seem to remember some penalties though

O'Brien - didn't have as much time as he does at 15 but had a solid performance, arguably lucky not to see a tougher sanction early on the way such decision usually go
Ross Byrne - solid professional performance, tried to be more of a threat at the line and his kicking was at his usual high standard
McGrath - outplayed Cooney, has played some great stuff over this period
Ed Byrne - strong performance, took his try well and had thrown a lovely offload in the build up, scrummaged well and stopped Coetzee in his tracks early on
Bent - not actually in the Ireland conversation but wanted to say he's playing his best rugby at the moment
Ruddock - physical presence that was involved everywhere, smashed Baloucoune in a double hit, whatever about the legality, did get sat down a bit easily for the disallowed try and had his own yellow at the end
Van der Flier - was playing with a point to prove, looked unusually strong as a carrier, unfortunately failed a HIA at the half
Penny - unlucky that there's so many 7's at Leinster and that he's had his own injury problems, should also be involved in any summer squads
Nice summary, agree with you on both Stockdale and Baloucoune. I feel at times Stockdale is a victim of the very high expectations of him. He'll make nice half-breaks or breaks and the commentators won't even mention them.

Nice summary, agree with you on both Stockdale and Baloucoune. I feel at times Stockdale is a victim of the very high expectations of him. He'll make nice half-breaks or breaks and the commentators won't even mention them.
Id also add madigan lookee fantastic to me. Well managed game, and actually the poor decisions were mostly on cooney with some idiotic box kicks, but defensively especially was very impressed with mads, his passing is quick and he's a threat ball in hand. Should be in ireland squad ahead of burns and Byrne for my money if he shows that regularly (notably best performance last year also against Leinster)

Id also add madigan lookee fantastic to me. Well managed game, and actually the poor decisions were mostly on cooney with some idiotic box kicks, but defensively especially was very impressed with mads, his passing is quick and he's a threat ball in hand. Should be in ireland squad ahead of burns and Byrne for my money if he shows that regularly (notably best performance last year also against Leinster)
Finally, after 10 years on this forum, something worth reading.

Stockdale in Daly out (and listed as injured), VDF to go through RTP with Ireland.

Can understand why Baloucuone isn't there but still disappointed.

Stockdale in Daly out (and listed as injured), VDF to go through RTP with Ireland.

Can understand why Baloucuone isn't there but still disappointed.
Shane got injured against Connacht towards end but this was happening regardless. Next week only swap will be POM in to squad for Ruddock

Ryan and Ringer out.

POM goin on a rampage bby
So it will be Tadgh in at lock and POM at 6 as I predicted before English game. Although had Henderson as injury.

In centre. Ignore alternatives. It will be Farrell or Aki.
Facts:
Aki starts it has to be at 12 which I feel hurts us as Henshaw is on fire as a 12 and both positions differ.
Farrell has been brought as a spare man for all the games Aki has not. Maybe this was to allow him play with Connacht or maybe there was a reason.
Aki and Henshaw probably more comfortable together.

Question is how will this go and I think the simple answer is ..................... Rory Scannell.

So it will be Tadgh in at lock and POM at 6 as I predicted before English game. Although had Henderson as injury.

In centre. Ignore alternatives. It will be Farrell or Aki.
Facts:
Aki starts it has to be at 12 which I feel hurts us as Henshaw is on fire as a 12 and both positions differ.
Farrell has been brought as a spare man for all the games Aki has not. Maybe this was to allow him play with Connacht or maybe there was a reason.
Aki and Henshaw probably more comfortable together.

Question is how will this go and I think the simple answer is ..................... Rory Scannell.
Do you think Baird might even start at second row, and keep tadgh beirne at 6?
Just having been in the squad, might happen, though i wouldnt be betting on it without good odds

Just having been in the squad, might happen, though i wouldnt be betting on it without good odds

I'd say Conan is more likely given when himself and Baird have been brought on the last few games. Would be my preference. Think we'll end up with POM though.

No - They will hold him back. He is still a bit raw but more so he has ability to impact game off bench. Not saying he isn't good enough or anything more he is impact. I think starting him will loose a bit of his impact as he will be up against fresh legs. And if he starts a POM or whoever will not be as much of an impact off bench.

9 will be interesting too as I think JGP could be seriously found out here and well if that happens we bring in a cold Connor Murray with no game in 5 weeks.

Faz:
51tfbp.jpg

POM and Connors aren't physical enough between them but units don't matter. Keenan and Earls don't offer enough in attack between em but they'll continue. I'd probably go Henshaw and Farrell to keep Henshaw at 12 but that won't happen, it would have been nice to have had a look at Hume who's been offering something different at 13 in Europe and a Pro 14 final. Farrell's 2020 failings are about to be thoroughly exposed in my opinion.

Faz:
View attachment 9899

POM and Connors aren't physical enough between them but units don't matter. Keenan and Earls don't offer enough in attack between em but they'll continue. I'd probably go Henshaw and Farrell to keep Henshaw at 12 but that won't happen, it would have been nice to have had a look at Hume who's been offering something different at 13 in Europe and a Pro 14 final. Farrell's 2020 failings are about to be thoroughly exposed in my opinion.
I think Farrell will be at 13 based on selections as 24th man. Henshaw has chance to nail Lions jersey as 12 too I feel so needs to play there

Latest posts