• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] Ireland v England (20/03/2021)

A badly needed win today, england have been a shitshow apart from the france game. Ireland played well at times and we reverted back to the ireland of old with some of our tactics. Was a very Joe Schmidt like performance.
AMAZINGLY we looked like we had a gameplan for once.. the jury is still out on farrell but today was an improvement.
Big problems are obvious, how do we replace sexton before next world cup. He needs to start playing the likes of Byrne while johnny is still there as backup.

Overall a mixed bag of a six nations, saved our best for last 2 games. We probably should have been closer to winning it but we didnt start firing early enough.

Last word to CJ Stander, wonderful career. Gave everything for Ireland and Munster. A true warrior

Last edited:
Well done Ireland. On another day I think you would've been on for a GS as you were better than us on the opening weekend. Furlong, Beirne, Ryan, Henshaw look like shoo-ins for the lions.

Well done Ireland. On another day I think you would've been on for a GS as you were better than us on the opening weekend. Furlong, Beirne, Ryan, Henshaw look like shoo-ins for the lions.
Not too sure. While Ireland have had some good moments their attack has been found wanting and their red zone efficiency has been very poor. For all their possession and turnovers they actually haven't scored as much as they should. On the other hand Wales have been very clinical which is why they nearly took it yesterday. Ireland certainly improved yesterday and were easily the better team, but they have a big issue about turning possession and territory into consistent points.

Not too sure. While Ireland have had some good moments their attack has been found wanting and their red zone efficiency has been very poor. For all their possession and turnovers they actually haven't scored as much as they should. On the other hand Wales have been very clinical which is why they nearly took it yesterday. Ireland certainly improved yesterday and were easily the better team, but they have a big issue about turning possession and territory into consistent points.

Yeah but as we've seen with Wales, or with any 6N champions, momentum is huge and who knows if Ireland would've raised their game if they had not suffered that deflating loss against Wales.

Massive Congratulations to Ireland on the win yesterday. They dominated England in every single department. Murray and Sexton rolled back the years and the pack was back to the level of Irish packs in the past where they have bullied the opposition. I think Ireland have had a fairly good Six Nations in the end. After a poor start they have improved match by match. So definitely progress there. England were dreadful again. We have had 1 good game out of 5, it's not acceptable. Changes to the playing personnel have to be made. I thought yesterday we looked shocking in attack, why do we revert to this slow, kick-dominated type game when we play away from home?. Don't understand it. Our pack was also mullered yesterday, very disappointing. There's a few players in that team that need to be phased out.

Irish twitter trying to cancel Genge now smh

You know chiropractor charge around £80 for a session for what Genge did to Sexton. Can't win with the Irish sweet Eddie Jones pleading with Sexton to think of his parents due to his concussion a few years ago got met with rage and now a free neck adjustment from Bristols finest gets a equal reaction.

The issue with this is that in the wider context of the game its not that simple.

Many of the HIAs we see are called on defenders injured in the tackle. Often by hips, knees or elbows. I saw a study on head injuries commissioned before the World Cup in '19 by WR and it showed across the pro game 75%+ of HIA failures were by defenders. There was a trial in an U17 competition in France based on tackles only below waist level in youth rugby and it had to be abandoned after one round of games because of the massive amount of head knocks to defenders.

So ultimately asking defenders to go lower could evidently lead to more head injuries.
Players put in hits like Akis today because it allows them to safely spot a location for their head.

In the end WR have gone down a road that they can't come back up and its going to bite them either way
Surely in the process of spotting a safe location for your head, it's on you to spot a safe location for the opposing players head? Like, not on the end of your shoulder?

How many of those injuries were down to the emphasis on tackling being moved away from below the waist, IE, bad technique? In the age where this was the generally accepted method of tackling, head injury studies weren't a thing so I don't see how one tournament can be a deciding factor.

The only head injury I suffered tackling this way was getting my head the wrong side and catching a knee in the face, which is my fault.

Going low, the onus is on you to get it right or you're going to get hurt.
Going high, the onus is on you to get it right or someone else will get hurt and you'll potentially get a red.

Don't know if it's already been mentioned but... Curry doing all the post-match media, maybe a sign that Jones is considering giving him the captaincy moving forwards?

Don't know if it's already been mentioned but... Curry doing all the post-match media, maybe a sign that Jones is considering giving him the captaincy moving forwards?

Hopefully it won't be Jones' decision to make, I'm refreshing the news every 20 minutes hoping to see an "Eddie sacked" headline.

Hopefully it won't be Jones' decision to make, I'm refreshing the news every 20 minutes hoping to see an "Eddie sacked" headline.
1616329679637.gif

It won't happen. Even if he RFU did want to, which I doubt they do, it would cost too much to buy him out of his contract and RFU can't afford it.

It won't happen. Even if he RFU did want to, which I doubt they do, it would cost too much to buy him out of his contract and RFU can't afford it.
And this ladies and gents is why you need a performance clause in the contracts... He had one originally relating to getting to a certain point in the 2019 WC so wonder why he doesn't appear to have one now, unless it's just the same and solely looking at the WC?

And this ladies and gents is why you need a performance clause in the contracts... He had one originally relating to getting to a certain point in the 2019 WC so wonder why he doesn't appear to have one now, unless it's just the same and solely looking at the WC?
Didn't he renegotiate after the WC? I imagine after that they were happy to give him until the next world cup off the back of that unlike Pivac who wasn't proven at the time.

To be fair no one knows what's going on at HQ atm - he got results in the Autumn, despite the terrible performances, so the alarm bells only would have been ringing the past few weeks
If he does have performance related clauses they would only get triggered at the conclusion of the 6N

I doubt he'll get the sack, though - too close to a RWC and who else is there?
The whole "Bring EJ in while we nurture the next generation of international coaches" quickly **** the bed when Gustard quit, went to Quins and was terrible, then disappeared off to Italy(?), and Borthwick quit and went off to Club rugby
Not even like we've got the Saxons going and can promote from within there

Latest posts