• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] Ireland v England (20/03/2021)

To be fair no one knows what's going on at HQ atm - he got results in the Autumn, despite the terrible performances, so the alarm bells only would have been ringing the past few weeks
If he does have performance related clauses they would only get triggered at the conclusion of the 6N

I doubt he'll get the sack, though - too close to a RWC and who else is there?
The whole "Bring EJ in while we nurture the next generation of international coaches" quickly **** the bed when Gustard quit, went to Quins and was terrible, then disappeared off to Italy(?), and Borthwick quit and went off to Club rugby
Not even like we've got the Saxons going and can promote from within there
I think it's a major weakness of England that hasn't been addressed, we don't really have a pathway for developing international coaches.

And this ladies and gents is why you need a performance clause in the contracts... He had one originally relating to getting to a certain point in the 2019 WC so wonder why he doesn't appear to have one now, unless it's just the same and solely looking at the WC?

Because Bill Sweeney is an incompetent tool.

I think it's a major weakness of England that hasn't been addressed, we don't really have a pathway for developing international coaches.
Wasnt this specifically part of Jones' remit when he got the job?
Im sure I remember something about it at the time.

Lancaster is doing well at Leinster....... :p
You joke but I rate him still. Probably not suited to a head coach role, or at least he wasn't with England but I think he has potential and has a chance to coach another international team. Unlikely he will ever be back in the England setup though.

Wasnt this specifically part of Jones' remit when he got the job?
Im sure I remember something about it at the time.
He was supposed to groom a successor yes, that all fell apart because the supposed successors left. Whether that is down to Jones or not remains to be seen.

Eddie executes his masterplan to have as few English players ruined by the Lions as possible. Nice one, Eddie! :p

I've only watched the highlights so far. Is it worth me watching the full match or is it likely to make my eyes bleed?

Eddie executes his masterplan to have as few English players ruined by the Lions as possible. Nice one, Eddie! :p

I've only watched the highlights so far. Is it worth me watching the full match or is it likely to make my eyes bleed?
Don't bother, it was just shocking. Eddie The bellend Jones need shooting for that.

There were highlights?

I'd say watch the full match ;)

I mean it was a pretty dire match, Ireland are only happy cause they won.
I wouldn't say that, the first 20mins was truly awful rugby but we were fairly accurate and dominant in contact from the Earls try until the hour mark when England put a bit of pressure on and forced cards. Still far from clinical enough and the level of performance isn't sustainable with a lot of the lads who played yesterday but it was finally a sign that Farrell's game plan can work and put games to bed early. A lot of improvement needed but we were fairly good yesterday.

Times this morning said Itoje took over as skipper. Just another thing, among many, that I'm confused about at the moment.
Definitely thought Itoje was with Genge when Raynal was speaking to Genge and an Irish player.

You joke but I rate him still. Probably not suited to a head coach role, or at least he wasn't with England but I think he has potential and has a chance to coach another international team. Unlikely he will ever be back in the England setup though.

He was supposed to groom a successor yes, that all fell apart because the supposed successors left. Whether that is down to Jones or not remains to be seen.
I think his post-England career has shown he is World Class when in the right role.

Is the issue more a structure and chemistry thing for England.

I think his post-England career has shown he is World Class when in the right role.

Is the issue more a structure and chemistry thing for England.
I think his biggest weakness was he was too nice, I don't think he had the stubbornness to stick to his guns and I think by the end, Farrell was essentially calling the shots. The fact England suddenly became ultra conservative with an incredibly defence orientated plan in the world cup after slowly improving attack in the preceding years makes me think he didn't have the confidence to stick to what had been built and just went with what his defence coach wanted, which turned out to be exactly the wrong call. Also the fact Farrell Jr played 10 in those key games again stinks of daddy calling the shots.

England was too much too soon for Lanc I reckon. Iirc he was initially hired in an interim role and got the job off the back of a 4/5 six Nations campaign and beating NZ? They needed someone with a lot more experience than him and Farrell had in that set up somewhere. Still, 16/20 in a period of the 6n when Ireland and Wales were always as talented if not moreso than England and perfect in his Autumn Internationals (from memory, SA might have had a win or two) showed his potential. He probably lacked the ruthless streak that he's developed with Cullen in Leinster, he's had no problems dropping lads like Sean O'Brien and Scott Fardy for younger and unproven players like Leavy and Baird.

Despite Farrell deservedly earning himself more time on Saturday I'd still have Lancaster and Leo over him and Catt in a heartbeat, two more talented coaches in my opinion.

I agree, I think he did make mistakes, with both tactics and selection (Burgess.....) but he wasn't helped with the most talented of teams at the times, especially compared with the team currently. I thought the plan with Jones was for him to slowly handover to an English coach but with a panic stations dismissal I suppose they will have to take the best available

Latest posts