• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] Scotland vs Ireland (14/03/21)

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
1615203442046.png

An improved, although it was Italy, Ireland vs Scotland who in classic Scotland style went from grand slam contenders to need to save their season in one round. :p
In all seriousness Scotland simply have to win, with all the talk about changing their mentality into contenders for the ***le they have simply failed to deliver consistent results (in the 6 nations) the past few years.
They need to pick themselves up after the disappointing Welsh result and really come out with a dominate display.

I'd say Ireland also have to win...

Would imagine we'll have the same back 5 on the with the same lads on the bench which I love.

Also expecting Stockdale to come into the 23.

Only other likely changes are Murray in Casey out and possibly Herring starting. Could live with one of them but would be really ****** if both happen.

I'd say Ireland also have to win...

Would imagine we'll have the same back 5 on the with the same lads on the bench which I love.

Also expecting Stockdale to come into the 23.

Only other likely changes are Murray in Casey out and possibly Herring starting. Could live with one of them but would be really ****** if both happen.

This team is in rather different place to Scotland, Ireland still somewhat in 'rebuilding phase'. Scotland also are at home.

Very tough match to call this one. I think Ireland may just sneak it but I don't think it will be an attractive watch. Dour forward grind in store. Could be a no-tries match.

This team is in rather different place to Scotland, Ireland still somewhat in 'rebuilding phase'. Scotland also are at home.

We are but for this coaching staff a loss will definitely lose the fans and a lot of the media. Rightly or wrongly anytime we lose to Scotland we catastrophise also given or recent record vs England would be setting us up for a fifth place finish.

Obviously it's important for Scotland but a win is much needed for us as well.

Don't think home advantage matters as much at the moment either.

This and Le Crunch could be awesome games, can't wait!

I could say this will be a close game that could go either way so no one can laugh at me if I'm wrong, but unfortunately for me I wasn't raised a fence sitting coward. Think we will win this by like 8ish points? I just think our pack are still stronger and we won't be nearly as generous with the penalties and territory as England were in their loss. I would also give zero credence to home advantage this year given how some games have gone now.

I could say this will be a close game that could go either way so no one can laugh at me if I'm wrong, but unfortunately for me I wasn't raised a fence sitting coward. Think we will win this by like 8ish points? I just think our pack are still stronger and we won't be nearly as generous with the penalties and territory as England were in their loss. I would also give zero credence to home advantage this year given how some games have gone now.
I actually rate Scotland atm (was never one to buy in to any of the previous false-dawns but I am tempted now). Their pack is more than adequate at set-piece and at the breakdown and their kicking game is maybe the best in the championship for me this year.

This isn't me saying you're wrong though, I mean how many times we all been here like but I do see Scotland in a new light.

Will be interesting how the possession stats play out. Both sides have had more ball the opposition in each game. Think less possession may actually suit Scotland more as their unstructured attack is better than their structured but I wonder if they play the possession game due to worries over their defensive side.

"Possible" XV from the42 for Scotland

15. Hugo Keenan
14. Jordan Larmour/Keith Earls
13. Garry Ringrose
12. Robbie Henshaw
11. James Lowe
10. Johnny Sexton (captain)
9. Jamison Gibson-Park

1. Cian Healy
2. Rónan Kelleher/Rob Herring
3. Tadhg Furlong
4. Iain Henderson
5. James Ryan
6. Tadhg Beirne
7. Will Connors
8. CJ Stander.

I'd be a lot happier with Larmour and Kelleher starting. I understand the rationale for not starting either of them, but I think too often Irish selection leans toward low-risk rather than high reward players. Otherwise I'm pretty happy, except maybe Kilcoyne to start. Really like the shape of that back 5 in the pack.

15. Hugo Keenan (UCD/Leinster) 9
14. Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster) 91
13. Garry Ringrose (UCD/Leinster) 33
12. Robbie Henshaw (Buccaneers/Leinster) 50
11. James Lowe (Leinster) 5
10. Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster) (capt) 97
9. Jamison Gibson-Park (Leinster) 8
1. Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster) 107
2. Rob Herring (Ballynahinch/Ulster) 19
3. Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster) 47
4. Iain Henderson (Academy/Ulster) 61
5. James Ryan (UCD/Leinster) 34
6. Tadhg Beirne (Lansdowne/Munster) 20
7. Will Connors (UCD/Leinster) 8
8. CJ Stander (Shannon/Munster) 49

Replacements:

16. Ronan Kelleher (Lansdowne/Leinster) 9
17. Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster) 41
18. Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster) 35
19. Ryan Baird (Dublin University/Leinster) 1
20. Jack Conan (Old Belvedere/Leinster) 18
21. Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) 88
22. Billy Burns (Ulster) 6
23. Jordan Larmour (St. Mary's College/Leinster) 27

Really disappointed we went with the conservative selections at 2 and 14. Happy with the back five not super amped on the selection.

Yeah that's a bit of a gut punch. Still think we'll have too much for the Scots, but I'm sure they feel the same way about us!

What's you Irish boys views on Beirne at 6? I'm a massive fan of his so would be a "just get him on anywhere on the pitch" kind of person but I'm not seen enough of him at 6 really. Was good last run out to be fair. 4 to 8 is insanely strong. Whole pack is ridiculous to be honest. Think you'll win this comfortably.

Latest posts