• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] Scotland vs Ireland (14/03/21)

Biggest fear for me is these wins will justify picking older guys and even more so halt the transition we need.

Next week POM will replace Conan at 20 and maybe Stockdale for Lowe. That is not what we need regards POM. Stockdale no issues with

Biggest fear for me is these wins will justify picking older guys and even more so halt the transition we need.

Next week POM will replace Conan at 20 and maybe Stockdale for Lowe. That is not what we need regards POM. Stockdale no issues with
Picking a Winger as a winger might actually see them get somewhere near their brilliant breakthrough season.

Picking a Winger as a winger might actually see them get somewhere near their brilliant breakthrough season.
To be fair I won't slam Farrell or Lowe. Farrell picked a good winger. Lowe has been excellent at club level but struggled a bit international. On wingers he has picked fairly. Stockdale is a winger but can see why they want him 15. Don't want him there myself but Keenan may have fixed that issue now regardless

Thought the first ten mins or so was classic Ireland and I was thinking that Scotland were going to get thumped, but boy did things take a turn. And another turn. And some more turns. And then Poite got tackled. Then in a ruck. Then tackled and broke his whistle. Weird game. Weird weird weird.

Congratulations to the Irish and commiserations Scottish in equal measure. Obviously Mother's Day so I struggled to catch a lot of the game as she just wouldn't shut up but the match looked pretty much as tight as I was expecting.

Happy for Ireland as it is a well needed victory against decent opposition... can't help but feel bad for the Scots though, it looks like they have all of their ducks in a row this time but it still just ain't working out for them. Hopefully they'll get a decent amount of Lions this year anyway though, should the 'tour' go ahead.

Last edited:
I like Lowe but that's Stockdale's shirt next week, that Lowe went off instead of Earls would suggest that Andy is thinking the same thing.

The Ryan-Henderson-Beirne thing is excellent. Wouldn't swap it for anyone else's options in those positions right now. We're far from great but provided Ryan is fit next week I think we've got a good chance of finally ending our rubbish run against England. I've also wanted a change at 9 for a long time but this wasn't exactly what I had in mind, 80 minutes of JGP is weird.

Henshaw is in Lions form right now.

I like Lowe but that's Stockdale's shirt next week, that Lowe went off instead of Earls would suggest that Andy is thinking the same thing.

The Ryan-Henderson-Beirne thing is excellent. Wouldn't swap it for anyone else's options in those positions right now. We're far from great but provided Ryan is fit next week I think we've got a good chance of finally ending our rubbish run against England. I've also wanted a change at 9 for a long time but this wasn't exactly what I had in mind, 80 minutes of JGP is weird.

England are there for the taking, however Ireland are usually responsible for initiating the decline so who knows.

Ryan Henderson and Tadgh all earned their colours. Can see Tadgh Beirne in Lions if a full tour due to form and versatility.
Henshaw has been left concentrate on 12 and when he's left do that he was beast. Summed up at 1 point when he hopped VDM in to touch in 2nd half and was straight up revved for more.

I think Earls is only finding his form now at right time but think Lowe going off was due to lapses in defence. As great as any guy going forward is you need D at this level and Lowe has not shown that. The door isn't shut remember Stockdale didn't have have it at start of his career but you need it and more so in Lowes case when he lacks that top speed.
As I said the worry is more the win will be used to justify issues needing addressing.
At 9 JGP is as bad as Murrays form but to make it worst is trying to play a Murray style game whoch makes him look even worst.
Like and then to not use Murray. If we had lost I think Andy would've been hung out on that alone.

Next week could be terrible only silver lining is England aren't playing great

It's not only speed Lowe lacks in defence it's awareness too. I don't want to crap on the guy too much but it's not like he's a raw 20 year old, he's 28 and an experienced player, he should be doing better.
To be honest before the game I looked at that back row of Beirne, O'Conner's and Stander and wondered would it work against Scotland? I was totally wrong and they as well as the whole pack were fantastic, thoroughly beat Scotland up at front, physical in defence and attack but also athletic at getting round the park. The past few years I don't think Stander has played as well as he could be he's really hitting top form now and easily a contender for Lions 8. For all how good the pack was, I'm still a bit confused as to what they are trying to do in the backs, Henshaw was great, Ringrose wasn't but we know how good he can be but 9/10 is still a massive issue. Sexton has had an amazing career and deservers praise for what he has achieved but I don't think he's getting the best out of players behind him, he wasn't helped by a bit of a meh performance for JGP but I suppose it's just praying time that Carberry get's back to full fitness.

It's not only speed Lowe lacks in defence it's awareness too. I don't want to crap on the guy too much but it's not like he's a raw 20 year old, he's 28 and an experienced player, he should be doing better.
To be honest before the game I looked at that back row of Beirne, O'Conner's and Stander and wondered would it work against Scotland? I was totally wrong and they as well as the whole pack were fantastic, thoroughly beat Scotland up at front, physical in defence and attack but also athletic at getting round the park. The past few years I don't think Stander has played as well as he could be he's really hitting top form now and easily a contender for Lions 8. For all how good the pack was, I'm still a bit confused as to what they are trying to do in the backs, Henshaw was great, Ringrose wasn't but we know how good he can be but 9/10 is still a massive issue. Sexton has had an amazing career and deservers praise for what he has achieved but I don't think he's getting the best out of players behind him, he wasn't helped by a bit of a meh performance for JGP but I suppose it's just praying time that Carberry get's back to full fitness.
To be fair to Lowe, and I am one of his biggest critics the last few weeks, I think it is styles as ROG said a few weeks ago. Defending in a Northern Hemisphere team and a Southern Hemisphere team are 2 complete different worlds.
Like @The Alpha Bro said yesterday some have it in for him. I have to disagree. I am basing my views solely on his D. As this is a foundation for international rugby and he has struggled hugely. Also this morning it was asked if this was under Schmidt would he have got as much leeway.

But the hardest bit for Lowe is as you say he is older. Can he kill old habits that he succeeded at home doing and learn new habits for suitability of up here.

Stockdale looked reasonably handy on Friday, although it was the Dragons. Does Farrell not want him on the wing anymore? I think Keenan has done alright to be fair,

Stockdale looked reasonably handy on Friday, although it was the Dragons. Does Farrell not want him on the wing anymore? I think Keenan has done alright to be fair,

He's just back from injury. Wouldn't be surprised to see him in for Lowe next week.

He's just back from injury. Wouldn't be surprised to see him in for Lowe next week.
Agreed. He will be back on wing too.

Keenan is a great example. Nobody had him as a starter in Autumn but got a sniff, made a few errors (as anyone would) and made a place in back 3 then got sniff at 15 and well being honest Keenan and Haley are the only 2 I want in as 15. Stockdale is a worldclass winger I prefer him there, Conway is a class 15 but you need to play there regularly to be on form.

Latest posts