• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] Scotland vs Wales (13/02/21)

So it seems Fagerson has got a longer ban than O'Mahony... Can't see how that makes sense as POMs looked worse.

So it seems Fagerson has got a longer ban than O'Mahony... Can't see how that makes sense as POMs looked worse.
Procedural. POM accepted wrongdoing, Fagerson contested it.

I absolutely don't agree with giving an incentive not to argue a case especially when world rugby suspensions seem like lucky dips already.

Procedural. POM accepted wrongdoing, Fagerson contested it.

I absolutely don't agree with giving an incentive not to argue a case especially when world rugby suspensions seem like lucky dips already.

Pleading guilty knowing it will reduce your sentence has never sat well with me. How many people (both in rugby and other legal areas) know if they act sorry, regardless of if they are, that they will get a reduced sentence. Very similar to how appealing in sport nearly always seems to end up with a reduction at the very least.

In this case Fagerson gets an extra week for saying he didn't think it was worth a red card. What gets me though is that the say POM has a good record when he was red carded in October. I can't find exact numbers but he has at least 2 reds and 3 yellows, with all but 1 of those yellows coming in the last year (I reckon if the high tackle laws were in place earlier in his career there would be more). Fagerson as far as I can tell only had 1 yellow before this. There definitely seems to be some inconsistency here.

Maybe he thought it was worth contesting seeing as the TMO wanted to give a yellow but ref gave red. Might've thought he had a half chance the panel would agree with the TMO. If so he was being very optimistic.

Maybe he thought it was worth contesting seeing as the TMO wanted to give a yellow but ref gave red. Might've thought he had a half chance the panel would agree with the TMO. If so he was being very optimistic.
I saw someone ask on a rugby channel, has anyone ever contested a red and had the panel agree it wasn't? Seems like a pointless exercise. Just admit guilt and get the automatic reduction, it's a stupid system. Just like the "expressing remorse".

I saw someone ask on a rugby channel, has anyone ever contested a red and had the panel agree it wasn't? Seems like a pointless exercise. Just admit guilt and get the automatic reduction, it's a stupid system. Just like the "expressing remorse".
The panel would be very reluctant to disagree with a on-field reffing call that was properly looked at, at the time of incident. You would essentially have to prove there was something wrong in the decision making and they hadn't followed the procedure for determination. Or they just made a law up. All of which is incredibly unlikely.

Perosnally I'd remove the plea and everything from the tribunal and just make it an automated thing that happens and judgement passed down with full explanation. A player can appeal but like a normal court they'd have to explain their grounds before its even heard.

I think sometimes they win against stuff against the citing officer but never the on-field ref or TMO

Yeah, I don't think there's any way they scrap the ban - it'd be saying the ref and TMOs and also the previous citing panel, were all wrong

I'm sure I've seen bans increased (or at least: reductions removed) for appealing, in the past, but I doubt that'd be the case with this

Apparently appeals committee have said club games count, so he will be back for Italy.

Apparently appeals committee have said club games count, so he will be back for Italy.

So what we can take from the recent citing case? If you contest and appeal you won't get good behaviour but you can include whatever games you want and vice versa when you accept guilt... Making it up on the spot.

So what we can take from the recent citing case? If you contest and appeal you won't get good behaviour but you can include whatever games you want and vice versa when you accept guilt... Making it up on the spot.
Yep, inconsistency is ridiculous.

Will he?

Because with France now postponed that's 2x6n + 2xClub games.

The 6n would be Ireland and Italy

I saw someone ask on a rugby channel, has anyone ever contested a red and had the panel agree it wasn't?
Yes, George Smith when he was at Bristol a couple of years back.

Red carded vs Sarries at their place, successfully contested and had the red rescinded at the hearing. Bristol were winning at the time of card too but can't overturn the result. Especially memorable as Skelton put a massive shoulder to head of defenceless Will Hurrell who was trapped in ruck, very clear and obvious on TV cameras (worse than any of the incidents this past week) and nobody said or did anything, especially TMO. Citing officer didn't fancy it either apparently which given the Smithy situation was rubbing salt in a wound.