• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] Wales vs England (27/02/21)

Does that just mean he cheats a lot?

Because he wouldn't even make the top 4 best opensides in England
Personally I just dont think Tipuric is physical enough as an openside, great hands, link play, agile runner, but he doesnt dominate a game enough. Thats just my opinion, but I think he doesnt hold a candle to the monstrous hellfire that is Hamish Watson. Or even Sam Underhill, who's running lines are really really good, he dominates collisions, and disrupts ball.
First and foremost I like my forwards to act like forwards
you haven't even got any centres that are better than Tipuric. Lol.
Tbf this is a good point, it's a shame he didnt come through as he's got the skill level for it (EJ would have loved to try this)

Personally I just dont think Tipuric is physical enough as an openside, great hands, link play, agile runner, but he doesnt dominate a game enough. Thats just my opinion, but I think he doesnt hold a candle to the monstrous hellfire that is Hamish Watson

Tbf this is a good point, it's a shame he didnt come through as he's got the skill level for it (EJ would have loved to try this)

Hamish Watson is nowhere near the all round footballer Tupuric is. They're both totally different players though so hard to compare other than they play the same position.

Hamish Watson is nowhere near the all round footballer Tupuric is. They're both totally different players though so hard to compare other than they play the same position.
Hamish Watson may not kick grubbers like Tipuric could, or flight a 25 yard pass, but who cares when talking about an openside flanker? Its not like his skillset is really that useful or match defining. Watson is better over the ball, he's a dynamic, feisty little **** of a ball carrier, he dominates tackles, and can jump in a lineout when needed. He's fast, strong, everything you want in an openside

Proudfoot yesterday

"The one really on top of the pile is Tipuric - if you look at his skillset defensively, attacking-wise, what he does in the line-out, he is a special player."

Proudfoot yesterday

"The one really on top of the pile is Tipuric - if you look at his skillset defensively, attacking-wise, what he does in the line-out, he is a special player."
I'm not saying he isnt talented. His lineout work is very good, him and POM are comparable as fantastic backrowers at this component. If you're talking about attacking decision making in wide channels, sure he wins. But at the basics of openside play, Hamish Watson is superior. Who would you say is better over the ball? Or dominant tackles? Could you really argue its Tipuric?

He is talented, but as well (because its an England thread) if he was an England player, I dont think he'd break up the Undercurry partnership. But EJ would 100% be trying to convince him to play centre

Hamish Watson may not kick grubbers like Tipuric could, or flight a 25 yard pass, but who cares when talking about an openside flanker? Its not like his skillset is really that useful or match defining. Watson is better over the ball, he's a dynamic, feisty little **** of a ball carrier, he dominates tackles, and can jump in a lineout when needed. He's fast, strong, everything you want in an openside

I definitely agree it's what you're looking your 7 to do which is ultimately dictated by look in at the blend of the back row as a unit rather than 3 separate individuals.

Personally, with al this talk of Tipuric not being physical enough, I can hardly think of a time when he has been dominated individually. Did Watson smash him up the week before last?

I definitely agree it's what you're looking your 7 to do which is ultimately dictated by look in at the blend of the back row as a unit rather than 3 separate individuals.

Personally, with al this talk of Tipuric not being physical enough, I can hardly think of a time when he has been dominated individually. Did Watson smash him up the week before last?
If my openside isn't trying to get turnover ball and dominating to do that then he's not really an openside and the team suffers considerably. English fans remember Haskshaw......

I'm not saying he isnt talented. His lineout work is very good, him and POM are comparable as fantastic backrowers at this component. If you're talking about attacking decision making in wide channels, sure he wins. But at the basics of openside play, Hamish Watson is superior. Who would you say is better over the ball? Or dominant tackles? COuld you really argue its Tipuric?
Tipuric is fantastic over the ball and defensively is one of the best so yeah I could argue it. Watson is a better ball carrier, that's about it but even then only in the sense of running at faces not spaces. I like my open sides to have nice footwork as well. It's personal preference at the end of the day and,
Like I say, about the blend of the back row in general.

If my openside isn't trying to get turnover ball and dominating to do that then he's not really an openside and the team suffers considerably. English fans remember Haskshaw......

If he's such a poor 7 and not very good at doing opendside things then why do you think he gets such universal plaudits?

If he's such a poor 7 and not very good at doing opendside things then why do you think he gets such universal plaudits?
Because he's a talented player, we all know that. I just dont think he manhandles a game and wrestles control in the way that undercurry can, Watson can for their respective teams
You can say all you want about him getting praise, but it doesnt change the fact that he isnt a dominant tackler, and isnt as effective a jackler or carrier as Watson. Thats a 3 pronged backrow attack, and for all the different skills Tipuric has (he may read an attack better) he doesnt really stand out to me as a difference maker. Talk about back row balance all you want, but Watson gives you all 3 components of a back row
I think we'll hvae to agree to disagree
Because he looks good on highlights, like Tom Croft

And this

There's a reason Sam Warburton kept him out of the team for so long

Because he's a talented player, we all know that. I just dont think he manhandles a game and wrestles control in the way that undercurry can, Watson can for their respective teams
You can say all you want about him getting praise, but it doesnt change the fact that he isnt a dominant tackler, and isnt as effective a jackler or carrier as Watson. Thats a 3 pronged backrow attack, and for all the different skills Tipuric has (he may read an attack better) he doesnt really stand out to me as a difference maker. Talk about back row balance all you want, but Watson gives you all 3 components of a back row
I think we'll hvae to agree to disagree

And this

I'd also argue that barr early retirement for Warburton, Tipuric wouldnt even be starting for Wales.

Yeah agree to disagree, like I said initially they're different types of players at the end of the day. Navidi and Watson would be the more similar comparison in my opinion.

Yeah agree to disagree, like I said initially they're different types of players at the end of the day. Navidi and Watson would be the more similar comparison in my opinion.
That's like saying I'm comparable to Eben Etzebeth. And I'm ****

Latest posts