• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] Wales vs England (27/02/21)

Good player but maybe ok? Sorry that doesn't make any sense to me but we're all entitled to our opinion. Here's a very recent article that cites SOB views on Tips:

"Justin Tipuric is one of my favourite players. Throughout my career, any time I've played against him or with him, he has had the full package and skill set. 'Tips' is not the biggest person in the world, but he hits hard, he's strong over the ball and his skills are by far the best of all the backrowers that I've played with. He's the complete footballer.

"He's very quick, so if he gets up a head of steam, you're not going to knock him down easily. He's an all-rounder and but for his career coinciding with Sam's, he would have had a lot more caps."
And yet SOB would get picked over him in a heartbeat. Because hes strongER over the ball, also very fast, hardER to bring down, and also hits biggER. He's a cracking player, he's an international so obviously. But there are better ones about, maybe less skillful, but beter back rows.
I feel like you're argument would be the same thing as picking a prop who plays out half, but cant scrum or lift in lineout.

Also old pals on tours etc always talk nicely of each other, or usually anyway. SOB is a simple guy, he'd get on with most, he wouldnt be the type not to talk nicely about someone. How often has a rugby player said "nah he was crap" about a fellow international

And yet SOB would get picked over him in a heartbeat. Because hes strongER over the ball, also very fast, hardER to bring down, and also hits biggER. He's a cracking player, he's an international so obviously. But there are better ones about, maybe less skillful, but beter back rows.
I feel like you're argument would be the same thing as picking a prop who plays out half, but cant scrum or lift in lineout.

Also old pals on tours etc always talk nicely of each other, or usually anyway. SOB is a simple guy, he'd get on with most, he wouldnt be the type not to talk nicely about someone. How often has a rugby player said "nah he was crap" about a fellow international

It was in his autobiography I believe. He singled him out as the best, most complete backrower he's played with or against.

Disagree with him if you like. I know we live in this brexit age where experts opinions don't matter but if you want to chalk this off as he's just being nice then I guess he's being really really nice. Could've just said he's a very good player rather than all the extra stuff. Funnily enough Marler and AWJ were meant to be mates on tour but that didn't mean he said nice things about AWJ. He singled out Tipuric as did Proudfoot as did Monye etc etc. I see a pattern here.

just read some more posts, it seems there are many more here who think Tipric is not the flanker you suggest he is, is that why your exiled

Yeah and I've cited a f**k tonne of non Welsh professional rugby players and coaches that disagree with them. It's fun this opinion lark isn't it.

It was in his autobiography I believe. He singled him out as the best, most complete backrower he's played with or against.
Citation Needed

Like fair enough if it's true but prove it is before just saying it.

Citation Needed

Like fair enough if it's true but prove it is before just saying it.
Just googled it and first thing to come up was him trashing rob howley on 2017 tour as being completely useless and ignored LOL

Right so basically SOB says he's got a lot of skills - this is fair, pretty universally accepted, though as Ive also said, couldnt give a monkeys about my opensides 25 yd miss pass or kicking ability.
Is he good over the ball. Yes, he's an international. Is he near the best? No
Is he a decent carrier? I'd argue average bar space to run into in wider channels. Is he the best? No
Is he a solid tackler? Yes. Is he a dominant tackler, No. Actually he loses ground too often for me whenever there's a modicum of footwork involved

SOB is better at all of these than him
Warburton was comfortably better, hence why he was picked ahead of him
CurryHill are Better
Watson is better
Dan Leavy fit is better
Who gives a monkey about his outstanding skill set when its not his damn role. Its a bonus that he's got the skills to do it, but no more

Apologies. I got it from here. I've not read the autobiography

And in that quote he doesn't say anything about him being the best or most complete backrower. He says complete footballer and favourite. So you inferred word that weren't there and those word have different meanings.

I'm no fan of SOB's but no matter who he thinks his best opponent was he definitely thinks he was better himself.
Let's be honest here the lad played against McCaw and anyone who doesn't say he wasn't the best openside they played against is clearly off their rocker or trying to be edgy for quotes.

And in that quote he doesn't say anything about him being the best or most complete backrower. He says complete footballer and favourite. So you inferred word that weren't there and those word have different meanings.
Bit pedantic. You're right though. He said his skills are by far the best out of any back rowers he's played with. He's the complete footballer.

Bit pedantic. You're right though. He said his skills are by far the best out of any back rowers he's played with. He's the complete footballer.
Huge difference between "he's the best" and "his skills are the best". Huge

Huge difference between "he's the best" and "his skills are the best". Huge

Ha ha. Ok mate. You really don't want to accept he's clearly a world class 7 do you. No matter how many of his peers and coaches I throw at ya,you know best. Did you vote brexit and ignore all those pesky experts? We don't like experts do we. Much prefer the opinions of some rando's on the net who have never played professional rugby they know best. lol.

Tipuric is the sort of guy who would be brilliant if you had to choose players whose names would be plonked in a hat and then pulled out to play in positions at random. He could probably do better than many players averaged across every position on the pitch. That's not the point though, the point is how good is he at a single position and he actually doesn't perform much better than the alternatives.

It would be like on Fifa having a player with 70 in every single stat. That's pretty good across the board and would have a high average score but would you say for any specific position they would be the one you'd choose?

Come tomorrow, no one outside of the red rose is my friend. Be warned chaps.

Latest posts