• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] Wales vs England (27/02/21)

Most players most money. Your record is embarrassing. Far more embarrassing than little old Wales never getting to a WC final.
1614355573858.png

Might as well post it again.

I say this with no joke I'd trade every 6 nations GS and championship for that one world cup.

How funny. Just listening to a pod with my favourite all time player Joe Marler and he just said the following

"Tips, he just blows my mind, is he playing this weekend? He is just ridiculous he's got to be up with the best player I've ever played with and I just think he's never really got enough plaudits I know people think he's brilliant but he's unbelievable he's not just brilliant"

Rule 1: Never take anything Marler says at face value. Ever.

Tips is clearly a good player, but not real A list. 25 minutes Lions test action from 2 tours under his national coach says as much. And he isn't likely to see much game time against the monsters of RSA this year either.

He has a very different skill set to most. Not better, just different. In the right circumstances he'll look stellar, but I'd take Underhill or Curry at 7 every day of the week.

Rule 1: Never take anything Marler says at face value. Ever.

Tips is clearly a good player, but not real A list. 25 minutes Lions test action from 2 tours under his national coach says as much. And he isn't likely to see much game time against the monsters of RSA this year either.

He has a very different skill set to most. Not better, just different. In the right circumstances he'll look stellar, but I'd take Underhill or Curry at 7 every day of the week.

Normally I'd find a response like this disingenuous as it's basically cognitive bias whereby you ignore evidence from a source that has no love for Wales or Welsh players because it fits with your view. However, in this case with Marler, you may have a point to be fair.

What about Proudfoot, though? Should we not take his "Tipuric is top of the pile and a special player" comment at face value? Or does he not really know what he's talking about? What about Sir Clive Bell End? Or Ugo Monye or Courtney Lawes? Those are just the ones off the top of my head I could probably find more if researched.

Fair points re Lions but this takes us back to the point about what kind of game you want to play and the roles you want performed. I was a massive fan of Warburton but I preferred Tips but he was never going to get ahead of Sam under Warren. I agree with you in terms of Tips not likely to see much game time against SA and I would understand Gats' rationale behind that, you could say it's not a race run at Tipurics pace. AWJ's however, is made to play against SA but obviously he'll be dismissed out of hand for completely different reasons.

Normally I'd find a response like this disingenuous as it's basically cognitive bias whereby you ignore evidence from a source that has no love for Wales or Welsh players because it fits with your view. However, in this case with Marler, you may have a point to be fair.

What about Proudfoot, though? Should we not take his "Tipuric is top of the pile and a special player" comment at face value? Or does he not really know what he's talking about? What about Sir Clive Bell End? Or Ugo Monye or Courtney Lawes? Those are just the ones off the top of my head I could probably find more if researched.

Fair points re Lions but this takes us back to the point about what kind of game you want to play and the roles you want performed. I was a massive fan of Warburton but I preferred Tips but he was never going to get ahead of Sam under Warren. I agree with you in terms of Tips not likely to see much game time against SA and I would understand Gats' rationale behind that, you could say it's not a race run at Tipurics pace. AWJ's however, is made to play against SA but obviously he'll be dismissed out of hand for completely different reasons.
Because there are better second rows than AWJ, yes

Also Hamish Watson is faster than Tipuric, just FYI... and because there are better openside flankers than Justin Tipuric

james harden dancing GIF by NBA

Having said that even though I've more or less erased the semi final from my memory but Tips was very good against SA. In fact, considering how injury ravaged we were the whole team fronted up well. This is why I don't buy the Tips can't do the nitty gritty narrative.

Because there are better second rows than AWJ, yes

Also Hamish Watson is faster than Tipuric, just FYI... and because there are better openside flankers than Justin Tipuric

What are the speed stats for the 2. Genuinely interested. Not doubting.

Just had an odd thought, does anyone here reckon George Ford would be a really good scrum half?

Nope, he can do everything. He's a special player in my opinion. If he was kiwi I reckon he might even get the nod over Cane. Imagine Tipuric alongside Savea at 6. I'm clearly biased, though.
Can't agree with that, good player? maybe ok but no more than that, a modern no7 needs to be able to stand firm at the breakdown/tackle area, he doesn't do that at all he's to easily moved, Ellis Jenkins will take the 7 shirt off him if he can get back to full fitness.

Can't agree with that, good player? maybe ok but no more than that, a modern no7 needs to be able to stand firm at the breakdown/tackle area, he doesn't do that at all he's to easily moved, Ellis Jenkins will take the 7 shirt off him if he can get back to full fitness.

Good player but maybe ok? Sorry that doesn't make any sense to me but we're all entitled to our opinion. Here's a very recent article that cites SOB views on Tips:

"Justin Tipuric is one of my favourite players. Throughout my career, any time I've played against him or with him, he has had the full package and skill set. 'Tips' is not the biggest person in the world, but he hits hard, he's strong over the ball and his skills are by far the best of all the backrowers that I've played with. He's the complete footballer.

"He's very quick, so if he gets up a head of steam, you're not going to knock him down easily. He's an all-rounder and but for his career coinciding with Sam's, he would have had a lot more caps."

just read some more posts, it seems there are many more here who think Tipric is not the flanker you suggest he is, is that why your exiled

Just had an odd thought, does anyone here reckon George Ford would be a really good scrum half?
No but better than Youngs, but real question is who do you play at fly half....I think the answer would make me scream.

just read some more posts, it seems there are many more here who think Tipric is not the flanker you suggest he is, is that why your exiled
Good player but maybe ok? Sorry that doesn't make any sense to me but we're all entitled to our opinion. Here's a very recent article that cites SOB views on Tips:

"Justin Tipuric is one of my favourite players. Throughout my career, any time I've played against him or with him, he has had the full package and skill set. 'Tips' is not the biggest person in the world, but he hits hard, he's strong over the ball and his skills are by far the best of all the backrowers that I've played with. He's the complete footballer.

"He's very quick, so if he gets up a head of steam, you're not going to knock him down easily. He's an all-rounder and but for his career coinciding with Sam's, he would have had a lot more caps."
you seem to be watching through rose tinted glasses, Sam Warburton, you just destroyed your own case

Latest posts