• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] Wales vs England (27/02/21)

Yeah, this is the oddity to me. Before the tournament Pivac was on the hotseat because he was losing and the team's performances were poor. Now he's won 3 from 3 (and let's face it, Italy is a given and France are still a penalty-and-red-card machine, despite Galthie's improvements, so it could even be a GS), Welsh fans seem very happy and believe he's taking the team forward. But from the outside, it just looks like he's got a bit lucky rather than any major improvements in play.
Of course he's ridden his luck in this tournament and results have come more quickly than expected. Luck, good and bad, always plays a part.

After the Autumn experiments Pivac went more pragmatic for this tournament. But the point is he did experiment and has an idea of their strength in depth and who may cut it in future as 'his' team takes shape. In the Autumn fixture 6 of yesterday's Welsh team started against 12 of Eng's and I'm sure Launch and Underhill would also have played yesterday if not injured. You didn't have to be Nostradamus to work out that our sole bit of experimentation of JJ on the wing was ludicrous and where is he now?

Just seen another rip from Itoje at 13 mins, brilliant play but just penalised. Can quote penalties all you want, but actually he's been borderline, and the only really poor one was jumping across lineout. The others were marginal and almost Amazing pieces of play to turnover ball.
Also have to say that a really harsh one against Farrell before being asked to speak to his team. Didn't obstruct quick ball at all, so why was he penalised?
I can only say these calls are harsh, and very pernickety
However one thing really annoyed me is Farrell is told by the ref "please, i go first", after the try, says his piece then runs away and ignores anything the captain wants to ask him. That's poor

Of course he's ridden his luck in this tournament and results have come more quickly than expected. Luck, good and bad, always plays a part.

After the Autumn experiments Pivac went more pragmatic for this tournament. But the point is he did experiment and has an idea of their strength in depth and who may cut it in future as 'his' team takes shape. In the Autumn fixture 6 of yesterday's Welsh team started against 12 of Eng's and I'm sure Launch and Underhill would also have played yesterday if not injured. You didn't have to be Nostradamus to work out that our sole bit of experimentation of JJ on the wing was ludicrous and where is he now?
Think your forgetting the sabotaged Ollie Lawrence experiment proving that without the Ford and Faz Axis England have nothing.

I nabbed a couple of hours... I really aint looking fotward to work tomos though as I can already tell it's gonna be one of those multiple-day hangovers. It's all good though.
Haven't had one of those for a while, Mrs giving you a new borne telling you it's all self inflicted has a way of putting you off lol.

Just seen another rip from Itoje at 13 mins, brilliant play but just penalised. Can quote penalties all you want, but actually he's been borderline, and the only really poor one was jumping across lineout. The others were marginal and almost Amazing pieces of play to turnover ball.
Also have to say that a really harsh one against Farrell before being asked to speak to his team. Didn't obstruct quick ball at all, so why was he penalised?
I remember the Itoje rip. He was too late ripping, he and Hardy were already on the ground = tackle completed. Penalty every day of the week, especially with the new way tackles are being called i.e. knees down = tackle.

I can only say these calls are harsh, and very pernickety
However one thing really annoyed me is Farrell is told by the ref "please, i go first", after the try, says his piece then runs away and ignores anything the captain wants to ask him. That's poor

I'm still on good vibes so no beef but are you referring to the tip when he was blatantly on the deck. Was t even close in my opinion. You let them go when the rip has started taken place as the player being ripped is on his way down but Itoje ripped the ball when both were on the deck. Clear pen for me. Jiffy said it was fine margins but we all know he talks crap.

I didn't think Billy had as great a game as everyone is saying. All I noticed was that I actually noticed him, which just says how crap he has been of late. He did indeed run hard but I didn't see much ground gained for such a large man and after 65 minutes he had made 5 tackles. He just seems like an extra prop on the pitch when there are players who offer so much more.

Daly was personally responsible for butchering multiple attacks either through error. One back move looked extremely promising until the ball got to ***s-for-hands and another went wanting when he decided to hand off instead of pass. How can he remain in the starting team?

Overall, some terrible reffing in that first half to haul England back time after time (Farrells penalty? Not obstructing the ruck at all and itojes intentionally knock on...) but when you get the momentum back, and crawl yourself back to 24 - 24 and still lose, I think we've got huge problems other than a dodgy ref.

Didn't Biggar inform the ref he was going for the posts, which is why England thought he was going for the posts? I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Gauzere even point at the posts to signal a penalty kick.
No, if you look at the assistants, they are not under the posts, they stayed on the touchline. That in itself was telling but no English player seems to have noticed. Whereas all the Welsh players are in position and look at their 10, they have not taken a break... As Biggar has not showed the posts and the ref has not either, it is play on at any moment. Look at Adams as he started running even before the ref restart.
Clearly a rehearsed move by Wales that took the English defense flat footed. Just like the Hardy move for the 3rd try.
Guys, you are playing Wales in Cardiff, this is not training, you have to keep your eyes open and be prepared for everything, not walk back slowly to your position while looking at your shoes!

Last edited:
Wales are definitely getting better and they're winning games, in admittedly bizarre fashion, while doing so, I'd be enjoying the ride as a fan of I was them for sure. I don't hate it that much either, I wanted Scotland to win more out of curiosity to see what happens when their expectations soar more than anything else but I genuinely didn't care who won yesterday.

Wales winning games in the 6n and building momentum is nothing new, it's what they do and everyone should be aware of it by now but there is also far more structure and fight in that team than there was last year. Even their ancient fucks don't cost them rugby games, they will eventually face better players playing well and lose but everyone knows that. It's far better seeing hard fought limited performances than old lads who aren't even the best player in their position in the country losing the head and getting a red like POM or showing zero game management like Scotland even with 15 men, when given a sniff Wales don't blow it unlike any other 6n team, that has to be commended.

Yesterday was always going to result in a **** show, reffing decisions turned what would have been penalty kicks into tries and England played good stuff when two scores down before immediately reverting to what was ultimately losing them the game. It wasn't smart and you're going to lose to less talented but smarter teams when playing like that which is what happened yesterday.

I do hate posters on here having a go at losing teams' fans unprovoked. Every team has fans guilty of it but it's been ridiculous this year in my opinion.

I didn't think Billy had as great a game as everyone is saying. All I noticed was that I actually noticed him, which just says how crap he has been of late. He did indeed run hard but I didn't see much ground gained for such a large man and after 65 minutes he had made 5 tackles. He just seems like an extra prop on the pitch when there are players who offer so much more.
He made more ground than any other player on the pitch. Fullbacks and wingers would be happy to have made 123 metres in one game; for an 8 its pretty good going. And unlike the past few games, it was actually taking multiple people to bring him down rather than 1 on 1s. I'm by no means saying that he's back to his best or that he had an outstanding game, but it was a major improvement on his recent form.

Wales are definitely getting better and they're winning games, in admittedly bizarre fashion, while doing so, I'd be enjoying the ride as a fan of I was them for sure. I don't hate it that much either, I wanted Scotland to win more out of curiosity to see what happens when their expectations soar more than anything else but I genuinely didn't care who won yesterday.

Wales winning games in the 6n and building momentum is nothing new, it's what they do and everyone should be aware of it by now but there is also far more structure and fight in that team than there was last year. Even their ancient fucks don't cost them rugby games, they will eventually face better players playing well and lose but everyone knows that. It's far better seeing hard fought limited performances than old lads who aren't even the best player in their position in the country losing the head and getting a red like POM or showing zero game management like Scotland even with 15 men, when given a sniff Wales don't blow it unlike any other 6n team, that has to be commended.

Yesterday was always going to result in a **** show, reffing decisions turned what would have been penalty kicks into tries and England played good stuff when two scores down before immediately reverting to what was ultimately losing them the game. It wasn't smart and you're going to lose to less talented but smarter teams when playing like that which is what happened yesterday.

I do hate posters on here having a go at losing teams' fans unprovoked. Every team has fans guilty of it but it's been ridiculous this year in my opinion.
1614505560594.gif

I'm still on good vibes so no beef but are you referring to the tip when he was blatantly on the deck. Was t even close in my opinion. You let them go when the rip has started taken place as the player being ripped is on his way down but Itoje ripped the ball when both were on the deck. Clear pen for me. Jiffy said it was fine margins but we all know he talks crap.
Oh it was a penalty yes, but wouldnt call it reckless play, just a split second off. Or poor discipline, because he's trying to rip it before hitting the ground, its a bold effort that just hasn't quite paid off

He made more ground than any other player on the pitch. Fullbacks and wingers would be happy to have made 123 metres in one game; for an 8 its pretty good going. And unlike the past few games, it was actually taking multiple people to bring him down rather than 1 on 1s. I'm by no means saying that he's back to his best or that he had an outstanding game, but it was a major improvement on his recent form.
True, but I'd be interested to know how many of those metres were made from hanging back to field kicks. Obviously a deliberate tactic but just feels like a waste of a big carrier when a back 3 player could do just the same but a bit more creatively than running in a straight line.

Latest posts