• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] Wales vs England (27/02/21)

He made more ground than any other player on the pitch. Fullbacks and wingers would be happy to have made 123 metres in one game; for an 8 its pretty good going. And unlike the past few games, it was actually taking multiple people to bring him down rather than 1 on 1s. I'm by no means saying that he's back to his best or that he had an outstanding game, but it was a major improvement on his recent form.

Is that all over the gainline or does that count the metres made from the run up after receiving a long kick?

Run up metres count as well, it's why fullbacks always have about twice as many as anyone else

Spare a thought for me. I've got work today. Now in fact.
1614506244524.gif

Thought, officially spared!

Is that all over the gainline or does that count the metres made from the run up after receiving a long kick?
It does include metres running back from kicks. However, every 8 returns kicks for their team, it's a pretty universal tactic and yet yesterday Billy made more metres than any other 8 has in a game this 6N. Billy was also returning kicks last week against Italy, and he made a total of 13 metres. So again, while I'm by no means saying that Billy had a great game, I am saying that it was a pretty enormous improvement on his recent showings.

No, if you look at the assistants, they are not under the posts, they stayed on the touchline. That in itself was telling but no English player seems to have noticed. While all the Welsh players are in position and look at their 10, they have not taken a break...
Clearly a rehearsed move by Wales that took the English defense flat footed. Just like the Hardy move for the 3rd try.
None of that really matters it doesn't matter what Biggar was going to do. This about how a referee should restart a game after pausing it. Now whether he was technically correct in doing so it brings into question how the game should be officiated.

If you think anyone in Wales would be happy if AWJ was told to talk to his players and ref restarted the game without warning after that and another team scored I think you'd be greatly mistaken.

It comes down to one question.

Should a referee restart a game without warning if the penalty is not actually taken quick? By quick I mean within seconds of the penalty being given not the type of penalty kick the attacking side has decided to take.

It does include metres running back from kicks. However, every 8 returns kicks for their team, it's a pretty universal tactic and yet yesterday Billy made more metres than any other 8 has in a game this 6N. Billy was also returning kicks last week against Italy, and he made a total of 13 metres. So again, while I'm by no means saying that Billy had a great game, I am saying that it was a pretty enormous improvement on his recent showings.
I agree with you TBF with exception of Daly all the recent under performers had a marked improvement, regardless of result.

He made more ground than any other player on the pitch. Fullbacks and wingers would be happy to have made 123 metres in one game; for an 8 its pretty good going. And unlike the past few games, it was actually taking multiple people to bring him down rather than 1 on 1s. I'm by no means saying that he's back to his best or that he had an outstanding game, but it was a major improvement on his recent form.
I had a very interesting debate with a friend of mine, re Faletau vinapolo, SP he favoured the crash ball style of vinapolo I was for the more creative Faletau. my argument was that someone who just charges is easily dealt with, yet faletau had far more skills therefore was more difficult to contain, I have to admit the debate went on for some time.

It doesn't say enough for me about Billy's game other than he was in the receiving position a lot and ran it back - which, assuming kicking is out of the equation, is his only option. I'd like to know how many metres he made once the run up was complete and I have a very vivid memory of a very long run up for something like a metre, which was a huge anti climax considering that is 100% of his offering.

Granted, he was involved more in this game but I was always taught 8's should offer more than strong carrying, that's what we have props and locks for and that's why Brad thorn was shifted from 8 to lock when he switched to union.

As a side note, it's usually touted that Billy at his best sucks in defenders which is true, but most defensive systems teach tackling as a three man job anyway, with 'reloading' quickly being the defenders job.

So England actually raised their game for Wales...

View attachment 9512
Haha not sure if by raised their game you mean Faz had a little attacking intent and his boot didn't generally miss fire, Billy ran with some aggression and intent, the stars aligned perfectly and reminded Youngs he can actually snipe and didn't slow every ruck down to a snails pace I guess we can call it that.

Haha not sure if by raised their game you mean Faz had a little attacking intent and his boot didn't generally miss fire, Billy ran with some aggression and intent, the stars aligned perfectly and reminded Youngs he can actually snipe and didn't slow every ruck down to a snails pace I guess we can call it that.
Just pulling your leg a little off of the back of a few of the pre-match comments on this thread about England always lowering themselves when facing Wales.

None of that really matters it doesn't matter what Biggar was going to do. This about how a referee should restart a game after pausing it. Now whether he was technically correct in doing so it brings into question how the game should be officiated.

If you think anyone in Wales would be happy if AWJ was told to talk to his players and ref restarted the game without warning after that and another team scored I think you'd be greatly mistaken.

It comes down to one question.

Should a referee restart a game without warning if the penalty is not actually taken quick? By quick I mean within seconds of the penalty being given not the type of penalty kick the attacking side has decided to take.
- it is not a penalty attempt, so it is game on at any moment. Farrell had 15 seconds to talk to his team about discipline. As another poster pointed out, it was not a tactical rethinking with powerpoint presentations and a coffee break in the middle. The Stadium is empty, so no need to huddle, how long does it take to say : Guys, discipline at the breakdown ?
- if you look at the position of the English players when the game restarts, they are not discussing, they are on their line, but going back into position veeeery slowly and without even looking at the ball. Seriously, this is not cricket, you have to be on alert any moment.

I had a very interesting debate with a friend of mine, re Faletau vinapolo, SP he favoured the crash ball style of vinapolo I was for the more creative Faletau. my argument was that someone who just charges is easily dealt with, yet faletau had far more skills therefore was more difficult to contain, I have to admit the debate went on for some time.

The faletau v Billy debate is very similar to the Tipuric v Watson debate. Both unbelievable players who offer different things but I always go for a more skilful player and not to slate Billy as he is word class on his day but Faletau is special in my book but I would say that obviously.

Just pulling your leg a little off of the back of a few of the pre-match comments on this thread about England always lowering themselves when facing Wales.
We said that this thread? I've said it in the past when England were a better side than are now but after Scotland it's hard to see how they could.lower themselves further.

- it is not a penalty attempt, so it is game on at any moment. Farrell had 15 seconds to talk to his team about discipline. As another poster pointed out, it was not a tactical rethinking with powerpoint presentations and a coffee break in the middle.
- if you look at the position of the English players when the game restarts, they are not discussing, they are all in a line, but going back into position veeeery slowly and without even looking at the ball. Seriously, this is not cricket, you have to be on alert any moment.
The referee could tell them to hurry up.

No pundit Welsh or otherwise was saying what happened should of. And I'd bet quite happily Wales would be just as angry if it happened to them.

Latest posts