• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] Wales vs England (27/02/21)

I thought he pinged England off the park in 2018 when England lost to Scotland and was pretty inconsistent, remember a number of times Watson getting away with murder at the breakdown for the same offences England got pinged for, add to that I also recall him telling England to retreat they did as instructed then a score for it disallowed on the bases of that same infringement he originally allowed on the basis of them following that instruction, I never felt he intentionally went out of his way to unfairly penalise England just through their perceived poor discipline at times reffed on reputation rather than on what's actually occurring, it also felt like last week he was going out of his way to discredit England trys basing it on a direct violation for a Law which apparently doesn't exist which later transpired to apparently be some kind of directive.

This is the thing, though, it's one thing to say he makes mistakes and is inconsistent or is a **** ref but another thing entirely to say his motive to do these things is to penalise England.

It's like his view on the May try, do you honestly think he hates England so much that he would make something up? I was listening to a pod and they had Wayne Barnes on who confirmed that when they asked 30 or so English refs about the May try they were almost split dead down the middle.

Even Jiffy, I repeat: JIFFY, said no!

The knock-on was 50/50 - I think it's a knock-on because he lost control of the ball and that's the deciding factor (otherwise hacked on dropped passes could be declared drop goal attempts), but can understand the argument for it given so it's just one of those things

The first one is probably the worst call for a try I've ever seen, and only gets worse on seeing the replays
In terms of jammy Welsh tries there's no way it beats the one they scored against us with the wrong ball.

This is the thing, though, it's one thing to say he makes mistakes and is inconsistent or is a **** ref but another thing entirely to say his motive to do these things is to penalise England.

It's like his view on the May try, do you honestly think he hates England so much that he would make something up? I was listening to a pod and they had Wayne Barnes on who confirmed that when they asked 30 or so English refs about the May try they were almost split dead down the middle.
But this is the point he originally came across as saying there was no debate, no interpretations it was a complete and direct violation v clear cut, this has been proven to be factually incorrect there is no direct law dealing with thisjust a directive none of us are privy to added to that the officials can't consistently agree.

But this is the point he originally came across as saying there was no debate, no interpretations it was a complete and direct violation v clear cut, this has been proven to be factually incorrect there is no direct law dealing with thisjust a directive none of us are privy to added to that the officials can't consistently agree.

I haven't heard him say there's no debate or anything. I thought he said if you think he's diving for the line then fine if you think he jumped to avoid the tackle then it's no try. I have no idea what his first comment was or where it was though so happy to be proven wrong.

And as I say at least 15 English refs agreed with him but there were a lot who didn't as well.

Over It Reaction GIF by Bounce

May jumping/diving again

I haven't heard him say there's no debate or anything. I thought he said if you think he's diving for the line then fine if you think he jumped to avoid the tackle then it's no try. I have no idea what his first comment was or where it was though so happy to be proven wrong.

And as I say at least 15 English refs agreed with him but there were a lot who didn't as well.
'If Jonny May dives to score then play on and try. If he jumps up first to avoid the tackle then it's a penalty. So in my humble opinion it should be no try and pk to Italy'

Pretty sure we are going over old ground here but to me believing Jonny jumped the tackle or not is actually not relevant here, to my understanding there is no law saying a tackle can't be jumped simply that it's most often going to be covered by specific dangerous play components of the Law, as a result it has generally been believed and accepted that jumping a tackle is Illegal, so really in my mind the ultimate question has to be asked is was Mays actions dangerous to the opposing player and to me that is simply a No, back to my original point Nigels post implies it's a lot more clear cut than it actually is.

Genuine question, what games did he ref that shaped your opinion on him being a biased ref?
If you are French, we have plenty of those in our bag, he hammered us with dubious penalties all along his career...but yeah I guess it never made it to the first pages of british newspapers as our opponent were quite often british (and it was never that obvious than dodgy calls like yesterday). I felt for England yesterday, because I quite often felt exactly the same, helpless, as french in face of dubious reffing by quite often british referees (but Owens has certainly the top spot in the dubiousness)

I was sim racing all day yesterday so only got round to watching the game today. While I'm happy with the win, I'm sad I missed all the drama live. :p
First impressions it was a good Welsh performance made to look a lot better with two really jammy tries. I think that was probably a knock on with would have been given 99 times out of a 100. First try was pretty harsh on England to say the least, need to watch it again to see what the ref does in all of it though.
This is one of the games where people can't look past the big decisions. It's easy to look at those two tries and say this is why England lost. But England did completely lose the plot in that 2nd half. After fighting their way back into the match, it was penalty after penalty.

'If Jonny May dives to score then play on and try. If he jumps up first to avoid the tackle then it's a penalty. So in my humble opinion it should be no try and pk to Italy'

Pretty sure we are going over old ground here but to me believing Jonny jumped the tackle or not is actually not relevant here, to my understanding there is no law saying a tackle can't be jumped simply that it's most often going to be covered by specific dangerous play components of the Law, as a result it has generally been believed and accepted that jumping a tackle is Illegal, so really in my mind the ultimate question has to be asked is was Mays actions dangerous to the opposing player and to me that is simply a No, back to my original point Nigels post implies it's a lot more clear cut than it actually is.
Yeah we're going over old ground but at the end of the day if he said it was no try because he hates England so much that he made something up then how do you explain 15 English refs coming to the same conclusion as him. Again, that's not proof that it was the right decision I just think you need to rethink his motive.

If you are French, we have plenty of those in our bag, he hammered us with dubious penalties all along his career...but yeah I guess it never made it to the first pages of british newspapers as our opponent were quite often british (and it was never that obvious than dodgy calls like yesterday). I felt for England yesterday, because I quite often felt exactly the same, helpless, as french in face of dubious reffing by quite often british referees (but Owens has certainly the top spot in the dubiousness)

I think there's a common theme that refs get hated on when your team loses. This is universal in all sports. French refs get a lot of bad rep over here so I'm not surprised to hear that over in France it's the other way round.

On the subject of England's discipline, they've now conceded 42 penalties in 3 matches by my count. Some of them may be dubious, but the sheer volume is shocking.

Having now rewatched the match with a cooler head, I went through the penalties to see which were stupid play, which were edgy play, and which I feel the ref just got wrong (not crying bias or anything, it's a fast flowing game and I have the benefit of slow mo and rewinds!)

Something that struck me was that Itoje wasn't actually that bad. He had 5 penalties listed against his name: One of them was actually Jamie George being offside at 27 minutes, but Itoje got pinged.

His deliberate knock on at 3 mins was stupid.
His side entry to a maul at 4 minutes; he binds on Alun Wyn at the front and swings round without letting go of AWJ, which I think is legal? But I can see how the ref missed it, it does look for all the world like he comes in at the side... but on another day this would be smart play.
On 13 minutes he rips, but it's after his knees are on the ground in the tackle so it's playing on the floor. Illegal, but it feels more like playing on the edge than being stupid. Not like he was lying on the floor, but at the same time when you've already been pinged twice in the last 10 mins edgy play probably counts as stupid play
At 27 minutes he's pinged for offside; right call, wrong player, as George was offside.
Then he didn't infringe until 65; this one I found interesting because he goes up in the lineout, lands at the side of the maul, and turns to look at the touch judge. TJ motions for him to step off, and he immediately releases, raises his arms and gets back into line. Got pinged anyway.

I came away from the game with the impression that he'd been an idiot all game, but really he started badly and then cleaned right up.

England as a whole almost did the same thing; in the first half an hour England gave away 8 penalties up until Billy V being offside on 29 minutes. Then, in the next half an hour there were 3 penalties; Mako catching a knock-back in an offside position (instinct?), Hill being an eejit leading to Wales' 3rd try, and Curry's side entry.

In that half an hour the whole demeanour of the team changed. When the ref shouts 'back', pretty much the whole line takes a step back, even those who are clearly onside.
Itoje and Hill, when looking for the chargedowns, were checking their feet to make sure they were onside. If the ref told them to stay they actually shuffled back.
Ref says 'three, no' and Sinckler basically leaps off of the ruck.
There was one where the England line starts to rush, and the ref points at Curry and says 'stop'; whole line stops, Curry raises his arms and backpedals.

I could go on, but England really did make a pretty stellar effort to play to the ref around the breakdown and with offside. Where they fell short were individual dumb moments, like Hill's clearout, Robson changing lines, Ewels jumping/being thrown across the lineout.

And there's an interesting contrast here; in the Scotland game England got pinged three times at the breakdown in the first five minutes alone (off feet and two not rolling) and continued to do so throughout the match. But Faz's was the only 'not rolling' in the Wales game, and Genge's 'off feet' is another dubious one to my mind. Perhaps it's differences in reffing style, but England did seem far, far cleaner in and around the breakdown.

This is one of the games where people can't look past the big decisions. It's easy to look at those two tries and say this is why England lost. But England did completely lose the plot in that 2nd half. After fighting their way back into the match, it was penalty after penalty.
I think a lot of the English on here would agree with you.

Yeah we're going over old ground but at the end of the day if he said it was no try because he hates England so much that he made something up then how do you explain 15 English refs coming to the same conclusion as him. Again, that's not proof that it was the right decision I just think you need to rethink his motive.
The irony is this all started because I complimented him on not being biased, I don't know what motivated him to make up that Mays try shouldn't have stood but made up he did, I've already gone out of my way to explain why.

The irony is this all started because I complimented him on not being biased, I don't know what motivated him to make up that Mays try shouldn't have stood but made up he did, I've already gone out of my way to explain why.

He didn't make anything up mate.

Do you think the 15 English refs that agreed with him were making it up as well?

He didn't make anything up mate.

Do you think the 15 English refs that agreed with him were making it up as well?
Buddy read his statement he is saying that if u believe it was a jump it's no try, implying this is almost a commandment though shout not jump a tackle, such a law does not exist, he has at the very least implied something as a fact which it clearly isn't.

Having now rewatched the match with a cooler head, I went through the penalties to see which were stupid play, which were edgy play, and which I feel the ref just got wrong (not crying bias or anything, it's a fast flowing game and I have the benefit of slow mo and rewinds!)

Buddy read his statement he is saying that if u believe it was a jump it's no try, implying this is almost a commandment though shout not jump a tackle, such a law does not exist, he has at the very least implied something as a fact which it clearly isn't.

And the 15 English refs who agreed with him?

Latest posts