• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] Wales vs England (27/02/21)

Then let us wait for the match assessment to see the final call.
Just a quick point : UK and Irish players are often surprised at the way the French ref a game (breakdown, offside when kicking, playing while off your feet ...). Itoje would be sanctioned every 5 min in a top 14 match, the Irish 6 to 8 would be in trouble for the way the come into a maul. You have a French ref once in every 3 games in a 6N.
French players are often surprised at the way the UK or Irish ref a game (breakdown, coming on the side of a maul, being offside in a maul while bound with an opponent player). They have UK or Irish refs 4 or 5 times in a 6N.
That's the reason why southern hemisphere refs were called in, to provide for more diversity.
Gauzere did not play into Wales tactics, he has been an international referee for 7 years. The way Hill and Itoje played just did not fit his standards. You have to play the referee. The Welsh did.
And in the end, the penalty count for England was very similar to what it was against Scotland and Italy. Biased referees there as well ?
Well firstly, we DID have the same ref in the Scotland game and SH teams complain about French refs too. In fact everyone that isn't French complains about French refs. Also part of "playing the referee" includes the bit where if you aren't infringing and the other side are, he punishes them as much and also doesn't make 2 dodgy try calls. so since 2019 he alone has contributed to 3 clear tries being awarded against England that shouldn't have, 2 directly as a result of his own actions.

Water carriers are only allowed on during a break in play due to injury or when the ref orders a water break due to condition of high heat and/or humidity. So Farrel's complaint of water carriers still being on is invalid as they shouldn't have been there anyway. But it probably, subconciously, made the England team think Biggar was preparing a shot at goal. But if May was alert, why not the others?
Well if they shouldn't have been there, that's also on the referee as it's his job to make sure they aren't.

Well firstly, we DID have the same ref in the Scotland game and SH teams complain about French refs too. In fact everyone that isn't French complains about French refs. Also part of "playing the referee" includes the bit where if you aren't infringing and the other side are, he punishes them as much and also doesn't make 2 dodgy try calls. so since 2019 he alone has contributed to 3 clear tries being awarded against England that shouldn't have, 2 directly as a result of his own actions.
I found someone who does not complain about French referees. He's Welsh, nobody's perfect...

Last edited:
He like JD2 has been struggling for form and keeping himself fit since the world cup. Speaking of JD2, he still doesn't look fully fit and I would rather play Johnny Williams or Halahollo for the last two games.
yeah possibly both need some game time, but Halaholio a good call I think.

I found someone who does not complain about French referees. He's Welsh, nobody's perfect...

Typical Stephen Jones.
Surprised he didn't fit in Warburton being the greatest 7 in all of rugby ever in the article.

I do like how all his examples are from the amateur era and involved welsh players.

Ah the old conservation of momentum chestnut....never fails to amuse me people still don't understand it and/or deliberately forget it to deflect attention fro other things.
if you look at the hands after he's thrown it, his hands look forward, so that I thought was the definition of a forward pass:rolleyes:

if you look at the hands after he's thrown it, his hands look forward, so that I thought was the definition of a forward pass:rolleyes:
Its the direction of arms that matter (according to the defintion of forward throw) and honestly its hard to tell at that angle. It could forward but marginally so, the type that gets missed or accidentally called several times in a match.

No problem arguing on those grounds but a whole bunch of people are trying to say its because the ball goes forward relative to the pitch.

Typical Stephen Jones.
Surprised he didn't fit in Warburton being the greatest 7 in all of rugby ever in the article.

I do like how all his examples are from the amateur era and involved welsh players.
He's right that France have had the best referees recently, no question at all there. Gauzere just isn't one of them at the moment, he was fantastic at the world cup though.

Gauzere also reffed England v Ireland in the ANC fwiw, was far from biased against England in that first half.

Its the direction of arms that matter (according to the defintion of forward throw) and honestly its hard to tell at that angle. It could forward but marginally so, the type that gets missed or accidentally called several times in a match.

No problem arguing on those grounds but a whole bunch of people are trying to say its because the ball goes forward relative to the pitch.
Just pointing out that that is the reason it looks forward to some. very flat but but OK I think.

It's weird seeing the highlights in the latest O2 inside line with no fake crowd noise and no commentary etc.
It's weird how much it sounds/looks more like a training session than a game

Also Gauzere literally lies to Farrell's face on the crossfield, ha - When Farrell questions him he says "I said back on, time" when.....he very much did not

It's weird seeing the highlights in the latest O2 inside line with no fake crowd noise and no commentary etc.
It's weird how much it sounds/looks more like a training session than a game

Also Gauzere literally lies to Farrell's face on the crossfield, ha - When Farrell questions him he says "I said back on, time" when.....he very much did not

He did didn't he. He just said time on when the ball was halfway on its way to Josh Adams. Lol.

Honestly, hand on heart, if that had happened against us I'd be more annoyed at the Welsh players than the ref. The knock on though, that's a different matter. I would've gone mental if that try was allowed against us.

When did Andrew Brace become Gauzere?

Even if Gauzere had reffed the Scotland game then England should learnt how to play him

When did Andrew Brace become Gauzere?

Even if Gauzere had reffed the Scotland game then England should learnt how to play him
By not allowing the team to score after a knock on? ;)

1614790975530.png

Easier than that here's the definition of a Throw Forward

Throw forward: When a player throws or passes the ball forward i.e. if the arms of the player passing the ball move forward

Basically all that matters of the directions of George's arms as he throws the ball, this is after he throws the ball but it's pretty hard the angle to tell which way they are pointed.

The French players arms at point of release are clearly foward.

View attachment 9552
When I saw it live it looked forward but the images suggest it was not due to forward motion of players etc. Also Watson is starting to move infield which may alter perception. I also can't believe is that much faster than Watson.
Hope this reply isn't too late. ;)

Could you link me to where I said I agreed with it. By the way two weeks ago I wasnt in the UK and I certainly didn't have access to online forums :D
It's the fact that you made it come a cross as if it was something new for mr Owens to do and was completely unheard of, that was at-least the way it read to me.

Latest posts