• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] Wales vs Ireland (07/02/21)

I'd like to give Beirne a go in the row. Henderson has flattered to deceive in an Ireland shirt most of his career and with Baird on the way up we don't need to rely on him long term anymore.

^ Should save Pivac the problem of who to select on one wing. His form has been pretty poor by all accounts so may not have made the matchday 23 anyway.
Agreed....what an idiot.

I'd like to give Beirne a go in the row. Henderson has flattered to deceive in an Ireland shirt most of his career and with Baird on the way up we don't need to rely on him long term anymore.
Front row it is. Done!

Fair enough, I'm a subscriber to the view that Ryan/Beirne and Ryan/Baird might be too light. Think we play better with Henderson in the team even if I agree he never hit the heights we hoped he would.

Okay, who had a winger from the Wales squad at a gender reveal party in the forum Bubble Cluedo sweepstake?

I would say it's unbelievable, but it's so utterly predictable. It all smacks of the WRU's definition of a bubble being very loose or their preparation being terrible. If they reformed their bubble yesterday, how long are they going to have to prepare for a test match after they have isolated everyone for long enough to verify that they aren't bringing in the virus from the outside world?

The stupidest (on his part) part is that any breach of Covid regulations could see the whole tournament called off as France have been very clear that they're not overly keen on the whole thing and want all rules and guidelines followed to a T

Interesting read, seems we continue to be pretty limited in how we create tries. Shows the advantage for us in having potential x-factor lads on the wing who can create something themselves, in particular Stockdale. Not sure who I'd start at wing personally with the match coming up.

Also saw someone suggest Beirne to 6 on the leinster forum. With Hendy in the row I think it looks like potentially our best option, what is everyone elses thoughts?

I have a feeling they'll go Lowe and Earls with Larmour on the bench.

I've been a big advocate for Beirne being played at six but I doubt it'll happen. With Henderson lacking match fitness and Dillane being the only other lock available (don't think Farrell rates him) it makes more sense for the coaches to go with a standard backrow. Even if it'll lack carrying ability. I'm expecting VDF or Connors to come in which definitely frustrates me, probably fine for Wales but proven not to be up to it for France/England. I think Henderson is underrated on here, although he definitely doesn't play to his absolute best with enough regularity. It seems that he may be just too nice (I actually hate this criticism but it seems to have some truth for him) when he wants to smash people he does, but he doesn't seem to want to all that often. Still think he is our best tighthead lock and he obviously has respect and leadership qualities.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if they start Beirne at six. I think it would help a lot of our lineout troubles, gives more of a turnover threat and allow us to play the looser game the coaches seem to kind of want to play.

He would be contention to play every game but in these circumstances I would send a message to others and drop him for the entire 6 nations. It weakens Wales but it's the right thing to do in the current climate.
Yeah, it's not even marginal. Gender reveal is very definitely non essential.

He would be contention to play every game but in these circumstances I would send a message to others and drop him for the entire 6 nations. It weakens Wales but it's the right thing to do in the current climate.
Gets better (well, more tragic).

Gets better (well, more tragic).

Here's what he said.

"When out of camp, at the weekend, I made an error of judgement," said Adams. "I attended a small gathering of immediate family to celebrate a family milestone.

Family milestone? A bloody gender reveal party. How is that a worthwhile family milestone worth ignoring covid restrictions. Not even worth doing in normal circumstances, let alone now.

I don't get this 'gender reveal' rubbish either. Just an excuse for more attention imo.

Onto the game, I'd love to see a Wales team of:

Wyn Jones, Owens, Francis
AWJ, Ball
Navidi, Faletau, Tips

Williams, Evans
Williams, Watkin,
LRZ, Halfpenny, North

Dee, Jones, Lewis, Beard, Wainwright, Davies, Biggar/Sheedy, JD2/Amos

I'd like to see the Blues halfbacks given a run, because both are box office. Evans needs to mature as a game manager, but in attack he's one of the best in Europe, while he's also a solid tackler as well.

For me JD2 is too far off the pace. Pivac will likely select him though, so let's hope we see some improvements. If Adams hadn't of been an idiot I would have been very tempted to go with North at 13, but he's needed out wide now.

That's a side which is more than good enough to beat Ireland, but I'm very nervous. So many of our basics were poor last year, so we'd need to see significant improvements across the board to stand a chance really. If our set-piece malfunctions like it did the last time we played Ireland should walk this, even if they're also struggling a little. I'm hopeful with Wyn Jones, Owens, Francis and Navidi back in the pack that we should see some improvements there though.

Backs just need some decent ball to attack with, maybe then we can see some of that flair that Pivac/Jones were brought in to provide.

North likes to tear Ireland a new one every few years, he's due another one of those displays. His form looks promising in that regard.

After the scrum last year, Wales have to go with their strongest scrummaging front 3. Which is Wyn Jones, Owens and Francis. Navidi back should give the back row some extra firepower going forward. I would like to see Evans given a go but Biggar is the safe option and considering the pressure Privac is currently under I'm sure he will opt for the safer option.

TBH this year I find the oncoming 6N , my favourite competition , as very underwhelming , I just cannot get interested , any one else feel similar , and its not just how crap Wales are , it just seems wrong.

TBH this year I find the oncoming 6N , my favourite competition , as very underwhelming , I just cannot get interested , any one else feel similar , and its not just how crap Wales are , it just seems wrong.

My dad feels the same, I suppose this normally a social aspect about watching he 6 nations which we can't do and that is a bit of a downer. My rugby interest has stayed strong but since corona I've started to get less and less interest in football.

2022851_5_articlesmall_B39I3293.jpg

Latest posts