• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] Wales vs Ireland (07/02/21)

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
1612171967354.png

Based on last year's form we really should be winning this game. We're not great but a win here and some momentum going into the France game should be the aim. Wales might not be as rubbish as they were last year but still. Overall hard to get too excited with the

From the squad we've got the team should probably look a bit like (not what I'd pick)

Healy
Herring
Porter
Beirne
Ryan
Stander
POM
Doris
Murray
Sexton
Dunno (Larmour couldn't catch a ball against Munster, Lowe has barely played, Conway is well out of form and I'm not convinced they'd start Daly)
Henshaw
Ringrose
Earls
Keenan

Kelleher
Kilcoyne
Furlong/Porter
Henderson/Dillane
Van der Flier
Casey
Burns
Larmour

Which isn't particularly enthusing. Only thing worth being excited about is the prospect of Casey off the bench and even then I wouldn't be shocked to see JGP. Would probably start Kilcoyne at LH if I was picking the team. Would also start Ruddock but can't see that happening. Lock is also up for debate but given their respective circumstances coming in I'd give Beirne a shot here. Not convinced he has what it takes to play better teams though.

Based on last year's form we really should be winning this game. We're not great but a win here and some momentum going into the France game should be the aim. Wales might not be as rubbish as they were last year but still. Overall hard to get too excited with the

From the squad we've got the team should probably look a bit like (not what I'd pick)

Healy
Herring
Porter
Beirne
Ryan
Stander
POM
Doris
Murray
Sexton
Dunno (Larmour couldn't catch a ball against Munster, Lowe has barely played, Conway is well out of form and I'm not convinced they'd start Daly)
Henshaw
Ringrose
Earls
Keenan

Kelleher
Kilcoyne
Furlong/Porter
Henderson/Dillane
Van der Flier
Casey
Burns
Larmour

Which isn't particularly enthusing. Only thing worth being excited about is the prospect of Casey off the bench and even then I wouldn't be shocked to see JGP. Would probably start Kilcoyne at LH if I was picking the team. Would also start Ruddock but can't see that happening. Lock is also up for debate but given their respective circumstances coming in I'd give Beirne a shot here. Not convinced he has what it takes to play better teams though.
Think you're probably right there, Byrne as 10 cover would be my guess though. Fairly depressing reading.

I would probably start Kilcoyne even if he's barely played. Also would start Kelleher, Herring offers so little and our lineout hasn't even been good with him. I don't know what to do with wing either, but I actually don't hate the idea of any of Larmour, Lowe or Daly. Tempted just to let Larmour play as at least he is exciting, used to this level and will score tries. If Lowe is fit I am happy to parachute him in either. Don't think Daly would let himself down either, but doubt he starts. If Ruddock is being picked I'd like to see him on the bench to cover BR at least. 0 point in carrying a player of his age not to play him. If Casey doesn't make the squad I will be fuming. Suppose I'd take Burns on the bench over Byrne. Pretty sure we'll be seeing a lot of whoever has the 22 jersey.

In pretty much every case I think the 50/50 will go to the low risk player Farrell knows. He will be under serious pressure to win games and place high in this tournament given the financial state of the unions. For that reason I could see a few of my preferences not happening.

Crazy how low the expectations have dropped around the Irish team. I share the feeling but still. Hope we get a good win here, excited to see the backrow go well and hopefully Ringrose and Henshaw continuing their form in the centres.

It's a pity fight between the Ireland and Wales fans, who has it worse? :p
I've not felt this pessimistic about a Wales team in a while. (not even when Howley was in charge!) I'm not asking for much, not even a win. Need to see improvement in the scrum and lineout and a bit better shape in attack. Jon Davies really looks off the pace at the moment so 13 is a rather big question mark.

Always good to start with the wooden spoon game and get it out the way.

Is this the dance of the desperates?. I can see this being a tense borefest with very little attractive rugby being played by either side. I'll still watch it though!. Haven't got a clue who is going to win, I really haven't. Prediction: Wales 17 Ireland 20. Ireland may be the better of two average teams but I wouldn't put any money on it.

Crazy how low the expectations have dropped around the Irish team. I share the feeling but still. Hope we get a good win here, excited to see the backrow go well and hopefully Ringrose and Henshaw continuing their form in the centres.
To be fair, I totally expect to win this. Problem is we have the talent in the country to challenge for a grand slam this year (our schedule is perfect) but we haven't used it. Coombes, Harry Byrne and Casey were the injection of youth the squad needed and only one was picked, two left at home for lads who'll never make a long lasting impact on Irish rugby in Burns, Byrne and Ruddock. It'd also be nice to have a LH prop born in the 90s.

Possible Ireland XV v Wales: Hugo Keenan; Jordan Larmour, Garry Ringrose, Robbie Henshaw, Keith Earls; Johnny Sexton (captain), Conor Murray; Cian Healy, Rob Herring, Andrew Porter; Tadhg Beirne, James Ryan; CJ Stander, Peter O'Mahony, Caelan Doris.

A forward thinking person in the IRFU*: "Hey boss, we have a lot of young talent in the country, we probably should pick less than 7 players over 30 in our starting XV"

Andy Farrell:

*It's a fantastical post, it doesn't need to be realistic.

'Caelan Doris and Quinn Roux have returned to their respective Provinces for further medical assessment.

Caelan has flagged some symptoms that could be associated with concussion. He has returned to Leinster to allow his symptoms to be appropriately assessed and investigated.

Quinn has a neck complaint that has not settled so he has returned to Connacht.

Munster backrow Gavin Coombes and Leinster lock Ryan Baird will train with the Ireland squad this week'

Well ****

Given that we won't pick either of them (sigh) I hope we have the sense to start Ruddock instead of going for the good old "two flankers who can't carry" approach that's consistently shown it doesn't work.

Yeah hopefully Ruddock in, maybe Connors to bench to make sure he's ready for England.

Happy to see Coombes and Baird will at least get the chance to impress Farrell and force the issue a bit if they're bossing it in training. Two hugely promising guys who will inevitably be in green. Awful for the two injured lads obviously and in particular for Doris who would obviously have wanted to put his stamp on the jersey with so many talented backrows around. His complaint of Concussion related issues does not sound good at all. If we don't play Coombes (we won't) then Ruddock to 6 Stander to 8 is probably the best bet. I've no fear of Ruddock letting us down.

Murray's assists, Keenan's scores, set-piece - Where Ireland's tries came from in 2020 https://the42.ie/5342685
Interesting read, seems we continue to be pretty limited in how we create tries. Shows the advantage for us in having potential x-factor lads on the wing who can create something themselves, in particular Stockdale. Not sure who I'd start at wing personally with the match coming up.

Also saw someone suggest Beirne to 6 on the leinster forum. With Hendy in the row I think it looks like potentially our best option, what is everyone elses thoughts?

Latest posts