• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] Wales vs Ireland (07/02/21)

So team for next week?

1. Kilcoyne
2. Kelleher
3. Porter
4. Henderson
5. Beirne
6. Ruddock
7. Van Der Flier
8. Stander
9. Murray
10. Byrne
11. Lowe
12. Henshaw
13. Ringrose
14. Larmour
15. Keenan

Wouldn't be opposed to baby Byrne starting, or Stockdale coming in at 11.

Ireland will be kicking themselves.

After they've finished kicking POM and Burns

So team for next week?

1. Kilcoyne
2. Kelleher
3. Porter
4. Henderson
5. Beirne
6. Ruddock
7. Van Der Flier
8. Stander
9. Murray
10. Byrne
11. Lowe
12. Henshaw
13. Ringrose
14. Larmour
15. Keenan

Wouldn't be opposed to baby Byrne starting, or Stockdale coming in at 11.
Seems about right to me honestly. Dread the thought of Ross Byrne but we've made our own bed in that regard. Is Sexton actually I hired do we know?

I feel for Billy Burns in a way. He will probably never outgrow that kick as a stopgap player for Ireland and I doubt he will be given much chance to make ammends.

God losing the first game of a six nations is just demoralising. Can't really see much development in this Ireland team.

Not much point blaming BB when the team was lucky to even be in that position.

Worst game from Earls I've seen in a long time.

To be fair alot isn't on Farrell.
Sexton is done. It's been evident for few months now but today showed against a poor team. Imagine against a good team. We should be moving on for better of Irish rugby. He has been a great servant but like all time has served him his notice.
Will start in front row.
Props - Can't fault. The 4 best around are there. At 2 Herring is a journeyman and Kelleher needs to sort throwing. But we need more here.
2nd row. Big success as Tadgh Beirne brought his form and Henderson too was good. James Ryan was loss too.
Backrow I may be unpopular in this but don't think Ruddock is answer. Was poor vs us in Thomond Park and age isn't on his side. Think also much better options. Doris and Stander of back are best comvo of 6&8, then Tadgh Beirne again a better option. Leavy not there yet but qill be better too and Coombes is a better option too with longer term view.
But for the now Doris, VDF Stander and if Doris out Beirne to 6 and Henderson in.
9. Murray did well then like rest dropped but Gibson Park brought standard way way down. Casey needs a crack.
10. We screwed. Noone is getting up to Sextons level of old but he's dived faster than Tom Daly down to.their level.

Centres. Ringrose showed why he is a different act to others and Henshaw was the Robbie of old. Seemed fitter and just has the edge over Aki when in that form.

Back 3. At 15 very happy with Hugo. Was involved and I thought he was good. Lowe seems to divide opinions. He has poor pace for an international winger but we knew that before but for strike running etc he is good and was good today. If executed right he deserves spot.
Earls I said for ages is off form for Munster. Wasn't picked on form and well that is concern. 100% see why Larmour wasn't pucked as his issues are still there in how teams have targeted his corner last few games but would've been better than Earls maybe.

I'm happy we say improvements and looked to play bit more rugby. Yes there alot of room for more improvement but alot wasn't on Andy.

Sexton been the worst player wasn't on him
POM red not on him
Billy B at end wasn't on him
Poor decision making not on him like for North try from Ringrose offload there was 2 or 3 at fault.

Must add the pack were excellent and credit to POC as alot here doubted him but he had them going well and lineout was superb too

Last edited:
Herring, Earls, POM, Burns all let us down and none of those selections were needed. Easy conclusion - Farrell's not HC material, can't pick a team.

Inspired
To be fair.
On Herring, Kelleher hasn't taken shirt which says more, POM was deserving of starting shirt today and Burns again was best of available. Made few errors but Sexton was alot worst before him. Can't hang these on a coach beong fair

I'm not sure how much of that is on Farrell. Some of the stuff from today was beyond coaching.
1. Kilcoyne
2. Kelleher
3. Porter
4. Henderson
5. Beirne
6. Ruddock
7. Van Der Flier
8. Stander
9. Murray
10. Byrne
11. Lowe
12. Henshaw
13. Ringrose
14. Larmour
15. Keenan
Can't disagree with any of that. I'd almost by tempted to start Billy anyway though Ross isn't up to it and I thought Billy was an upgrade on Sexton while he was there. BabyByrne and Healy should be parachuted in for Italy, France could ruin them. Wouldn't be opposed to giving Daly a start either. Coombes and Casey on the bench too.

Sexton getting a lot of stick and Burns getting left off is BS by the way. Sexton wasn't good but look how much worse Murray looked when Burns was his 10.

Also loads of this is on Farrell lads, cop on. Herring, POM, Earls and Burns just wasted a test cap. We have Coombes, Larmour, Kelleher and Harry Byrne available, none would do worse and all have the capacity to improve unlike the rest. If we'd lost a freak game but showed positive intent fine but we didn't, this was coming all last year when we were beating better teams but totally uncompetitive elsewhere.

Farrell has been in the set up long enough and it's brought more bad than good. This has to be his last test window if we want any success before 2023.

Sexton getting a lot of stick and Burns getting left off is BS by the way. Sexton wasn't good but look how much worse Murray looked when Burns was his 10.

Also loads of this is on Farrell lads, cop on. Herring, POM, Earls and Burns just wasted a test cap. We have Coombes, Larmour, Kelleher and Harry Byrne available, none would do worse and all have the capacity to improve unlike the rest. If we'd lost a freak game but showed positive intent fine but we didn't, this was coming all last year when we were beating better teams but totally uncompetitive elsewhere.

Farrell has been in the set up long enough and it's brought more bad than good. This has to be his last test window if we want any success before 2023.
No not really BB we knew wasn't at this level. Sexton was held to higher accountability and has been in decline for nearly a year.

On lads you mentioned. POM has been in good form and played well the last few months. Don't disagree on moving on but not 1 person was saying he shouldn't staop.
Larmpur was targeted last few games and seems to have hurt his chances. Kelleher too has throwing issues.

Think Farrell getting too much blame. Not totally off hook mind you.

Can't believe I'm actually saying this in 2021 but Madigan anyone? Not completely incompetent and has done it before. Would have Carty though.

Don't know if I've said it on here but I think Johnny could be a great 22 if he readjusts to being a sub, his kicking and decision making is still class, just needs more time v tired legs.

Harry Byrne, Ben Healy and hopefully Carvery are options at 10 going forward, we're not in trouble there. Forget about Carty, Burns and Byrne, Byrne was the only one who ever looked capable but he couldn't step up.

That performance and result from that selection shows incompetence from top to bottom in the Ireland squad. Change in some form is desperately needed and I would be amazed if Farrell has it in him to bring it.

Don't know if I've said it on here but I think Johnny could be a great 22 if he readjusts to being a sub, his kicking and decision making is still class, just needs more time v tired legs.
I was thinking that earlier that if he's serious about lasting much longer this is the best role and he could be good at it. Would make life easier for the whoever is at 10 too. The problem is that we haven't properly committed to that transition yet.

Last edited:

Latest posts