• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2021 Super Rugby Aotearoa - Round 2

Predictions this week:
Chiefs v Highlanders - I think the Highlanders have got enough to sneak this one, the Chiefs might still be affected by what happened last season.
Crusaders v Hurricanes - I'm picking with my head and not with my heart. I'm desperate for the Canes to get the upset here but it's going to be very tough. The Crusaders will remember what happened in this game last year and will be on their guard. Home win by 10.

re the Chiefs v Highanders

We only beat the chiefs last year n the first game due to a Gatland Droppie at the death and a last minute try to Sio

Gatland now wearing the other jersey and Sio long overdue for a card and some time on the bench so i think the Chiefs might ave this one

Aaron Smith on the bench?. Interesting call. I know Fakatava is very highly rated but it is still surprising. No doubt there will be some Highlanders fans that are far more ITK than i am. Mind you in what will probably be a tight game it's not a bad thing to have the best scrum half in the game on the bench to close it out.

we've been talking about it for the last year or more, Fakatava is one of the 3 or 4 guys sticking their hand up to replace smith

Smith has just re signed but its believed it may all be part of some long term planning to bring through Fakatava. We all hoped Fakatava would get more gametime this year and some starts but a little surprised to see a start this early

I hope he can see a future like smith had with us, smith came in under Cowen who was one of the AB halfbacks and played apprentice for a couple of season before stepping up, SMith has said he wants to do exactly the same thing for fakatava

its a bit of gamble as we havent resigned him past this year so if we can lock him down he may see a better future with someone like the Crusaders who have both their halfbacks off contract at the end of the year

If the Chiefs were going to win 1 game this year (which would be an improvement) you'd think it would be hosting the Highlanders or Hurricanes so this game is massively important to their confidence. And mine.

Chiefs please
Saders

If the Chiefs were going to win 1 game this year (which would be an improvement) you'd think it would be hosting the Highlanders or Hurricanes so this game is massively important to their confidence. And mine.

Chiefs please
Saders
Not expecting much from the Blues or Crusaders then?. To be honest I think your summary is pretty accurate. The Chiefs have surely put this game into the "must win" column. I definitely think there is a bigger gap between the top and bottom of the NZ conference than there has been for a long time. Is it too early to say that the Highlanders, Chiefs and Hurricanes are playing for the crumbs off the dinner table?. From a betting perspective I'd make the Blues and the Crusaders hot favourites in every game apart from when they play each other.

I find that a bit of an exaggeration

we only lost to the saders by 13 points the other day and we're deemed to be the bottom of the pack

There's been over a decade where the blues couldn't buy a win against he other NZ teams and before that us again

I would say the last couple of years have been some of the closest, yes, the saders are definitely firm favs...but i dont think we're going to see 30-40 point wins as we have other years

I don't really disagree with either of you.
I don't think it's about the blow out wins but is anyone thinking it won't be a Crudaders/Blues final? Obviously I'm hoping for a bit of intrigue this season but realistically as a Chiefs fan I'm just hoping for a good battle in the bottom 3.

Ironically if I had to list my teams in order of support it would be Chiefs, Highlanders, Canes, Blues then Crusaders which if I had to put money on would be the complete opposite of how I expect the table to be at the end of the season. And I only put Chiefs ahead of the Highlanders because I'm being optimistic.

For the record I realize I sound really pessimistic but I look forward to and love every single second of this competition! As a kiwi overseas this is a huge tie to home and I wear my Chiefs and Highlanders jerseys watching every game.

Well it turns out that the Highlanders had more than enough about them to get the win today. Bit of an ominous start for the Chiefs when you think that was their most winnable fixture on paper.

Latest posts