• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2023-2024 transfers

Ok, so there is a separate cap for the academy then.
With the size of academies at the moment, 200k is absolutely nothing!

And I certainly wasn't suggesting an academy contract long term, just for this term with a proper contract starting in July - ala Hill and Lawrence. Pathetic contract whilst there's no money, proper contract to start next season once the squad has been shuffled.

With the size of academies at the moment, 200k is absolutely nothing!
Yeah, I was surprised at how low that is - obviously minimum wage is different for different ages, but at the top end that's only 10.7 academy players on fulltime minimum wage

Yeah, I was surprised at how low that is - obviously minimum wage is different for different ages, but at the top end that's only 10.7 academy players on fulltime minimum wage
I wonder if, like the seniors, they only count towards the cap if they play (more than X minutes)?

Otherwise, I just don't see how £200k can be viable as a cap for the academies with 20+ players (far more if it's going down to 16 yoa) in them.

Can't be arsed, especially on the tablet, but it's been the case for many, many years.

It even passes the common sense test - if you don't play for a club, then your salary isn't counted towards the cap.

Can't be arsed, especially on the tablet, but it's been the case for many, many years.

Nope it hasn't people just misread the rules

Remuneration for a Player who has not played or been a replacement for the Club in (i) any match in the Gallagher Premiership, European Challenge Cup, European 2021-22 Salary Regulations (Board Approved 23.09.21) Page 53 of 70 Champions Cup, Premiership Rugby Cup or (ii) more than three matches in any other Competition.

Missing, the provided that
the Salary Cap Director is satisfied that the Player's limited participation has been caused by an injury; and 1.7.2. the Club does not use an Injured Player Credit.

Last edited:
And yet, they keep allowing it for reasons other reasons - such as season-long loans, or combination of injury and loan.
Or have they removed that allowance in the last couple of years? (which certainly is possible, given the other changes to the cap)

Last edited:
It would make sense, but why have you taken that from that release?
Him and Odogwu are best mates/live together/run a business together - Odogwu was heavily linked to Benetton before getting the injury joker gig at Stade Francais

I dunno, it's a complete guess but just seems like the stars are aligning for it

Him and Odogwu are best mates/live together/run a business together - Odogwu was heavily linked to Benetton before getting the injury joker gig at Stade Francais

I dunno, it's a completely guess but just seems like the stars are aligning for it
Ah right, I thought you picked out a hint in the article!

Umaga gone to Benetton until 2024

Suggests, to me at least, that Odogwu will go there after his short-term deal at Stade is up
100% these two get on like a house on fire. If both are there i wouldn't be surprised if 1-2 others went, especially if not in England picture.

Rekeiti Ma'asi White and Asher Opoku-Fordjour have joined our academy from Wasps

Won't pretend to know anything about them but our academy coaches usually have a good eye for talent spotting

Rekeiti Ma'asi White and Asher Opoku-Fordjour have joined our academy from Wasps

Won't pretend to know anything about them but our academy coaches usually have a good eye for talent spotting
So Ma'asi White was hugely rated by Everard (Wasps Academy Coach) and then England u20's. Often played outside centre and has appeared in Prem Cup. Opoku-Fordjour has come out the Wasps Academy and again hugely touted tight head. Two good signings there.

Latest posts