• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2023-2024 transfers

Attwood retiring at the end of the season. Job lined up with a law firm.

My kind of lock. Very underrated in my book.
Screwed over by Lancaster's change of tack ahead of RWC15 - told to lose weight, work on mobility and expecting to go 80 at a higher pace; then dropped for not being as powerful as he had been before doing what he was told.

A prime example of how the RFU were right to drop Burt, however well he's developed since then.

Last edited:
Raft of departures from Bath announced yesterday:
https://www.bathrugby.com/news/eight-senior-players-to-depart-bath-rugby/
None of them regular starters, but a couple of surprises in there:
Darren Atkins, Tom Doughty, Max Green, Gabriel Hamer-Webb, Valeriy Morozov, D'Arcy Rae, Will Spencer and Wesley White.

Doughty and Green going means we only have 2 senior hookers and 2 senior scrum-halves (pending academy graduates). I suspect that those 2 + GHW are more victims of the continued reduced cap, and timings of previous contracts than anything much else.

No news yet on Schoeman, Jonker, Verden, FLW, Tonks, Van Velze, Francis and JJ - all of whom are thought to be out of contract this summer, except for JJ who's surplus to requirements, but might be struggling to find another club for a mid-contract switch.

It puts Bath's transfer business at 2 in, 15 out, so far.
ETA: Oh, and 2 coaches out as well.

Last edited:
Screwed over by Lancaster's change of tack ahead of RWC15 - told to lose weight, work on mobility and expecting to go 80 at a higher pace; then dropped for not being as powerful as he had been before doing what he was told.

A prime example of how the RFU were right to drop Burt, however well he's developed since then.
The RFU's obsession with wanting players to drastically change their body composition is infuriating
"You're great at what you do, so we've picked you for the international squad - now put on/lose 10kg of muscle which will impact your ability to play they way you do usually and we'll drop you and not pick you again 👍"

It puts Bath's transfer business at 2 in, 15 out, so far.
ETA: Oh, and 2 coaches out as well.
And Lee Blackett's in for Maddock: https://www.bathrugby.com/news/lee-blackett-to-become-bath-rugby-assistant-coach/
Rumour has it that Richard Blaze is Hatley's replacement, completed but waiting to announce.

Looks like we're getting the coaching turnover we ought to have had last year; and this time, they're JvG's appointments (Maddock came in during JvG's tenure, but was a Hooper appointment)

Sale confirm 8 more leavers:
  • Ben Carlisle
  • Matt Postlethwaite
  • Kieran Wilkinson
  • Jason Woodward
  • Dom Barrow
  • Sam Hill
  • Elliot Gourlay
  • Ryan Mills
Shame to lose Mills as I think we're going to be light in the midfield early in the season if Manu and Ford go to the RWC

Imagine Gourlay will sign with Caldy (been there the last two seasons on loan)

Barrow and Woodward I think will retire

Wonder if any will land at Wasps?

Sale confirm 8 more leavers:
  • Ben Carlisle
  • Matt Postlethwaite
  • Kieran Wilkinson
  • Jason Woodward
  • Dom Barrow
  • Sam Hill
  • Elliot Gourlay
  • Ryan Mills
Shame to lose Mills as I think we're going to be light in the midfield early in the season if Manu and Ford go to the RWC

Imagine Gourlay will sign with Caldy (been there the last two seasons on loan)

Barrow and Woodward I think will retire

Wonder if any will land at Wasps?
Maybe?

Apparently there is an expectancy that players and staff are lined up. Nice part of Wasps coming back is players will have another club to go to.

Soooo what now then? Really **** for him, don't see what the alternative is now? If it's that bad, noone is going to want him surely

That's going to have tanked his contract value
I wonder if Exeter will take him back? Japan?
I know French medical exams(/insurance?) is more strict than a lot of leagues but anyone that signs him now will be under the microscope

That's going to have tanked his contract value
I wonder if Exeter will take him back? Japan?
I know French medical exams(/insurance?) is more strict than a lot of leagues but anyone that signs him now will be under the microscope

A trip to Japan must be on the cards if this is true (stay off the Sake) because the Chiefs are well stocked with, currently, sub-international hookers.

I'm sure Rob and Tony would sort him out though if needed. France does seem strict doesn't it? I wonder what Vakatawa is up to now...

A trip to Japan must be on the cards if this is true (stay off the Sake) because the Chiefs are well stocked with, currently, sub-international hookers.

I'm sure Rob and Tony would sort him out though if needed. France does seem strict doesn't it? I wonder what Vakatawa is up to now...
Certain club in the championship is coming back...... we need a hooker....

Id definitely keep him at Chiefs for a season be great for Frost and Innard to get experience, also i dont rate Innard that mutch, he's ok but never going to be anymore than a decent prem player IMO.

Id definitely keep him at Chiefs for a season be great for Frost and Innard to get experience, also i dont rate Innard that mutch, he's ok but never going to be anymore than a decent prem player IMO.
I really rate Harris too now he's back from injury. Did we sign Frost on for longer than Harris' injury cover? I really hope so

I really rate Harris too now he's back from injury. Did we sign Frost on for longer than Harris' injury cover? I really hope so
I'm really not sure how you let Frost get away in the first place. He was unbelievable for us when we had him.

Latest posts