• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2023-2024 transfers

In another situation you are probably right, but do you not think the fact that wales are very thin on the ground they are far less likely to argue semantics untill the WC has passed?
I dunno, they've been pretty stubborn about Gatland's law in the past
I reckon they'll probably include him and say he's not linked up with a foreign club yet so is still eligible, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them cut off their nose to spite their face

I could be completely inventing this but I'm sure that there was a clause in Gatland's law that said that if a Welsh region didn't offer you a contract and you went to play abroad then you were still eligible to play for Wales?

I think it was Thomas Young who was able to keep playing at Wasps and still be eligible for so long because no Welsh region offered him a contract when his Wasps contract ended
That used to be the case, but that loophole was closed a number of years ago, as was as the 'exceptional circumstances' clause. My understanding is that it's a very clear 60 cap rule now.

I might be imagining things, but I think I read that he turned down an extension in the summer.

As I understand it Rowlands disagreed with the pay band he was in. Despite being named Welsh player of the year, he still wasn't eligible to be considered in the top pay band as that's reserved for Lions test players. No idea why that should matter, but that's the WRU for you. So he may have been able to re-sign with the Dragons under his current pay band, but understandably he wasn't happy with that.

It's a real shame as he's been getting better and better at Dragons recently, and he's been a real driving force behind the improvements at the region this season. It'll also be a huge loss to Wales if he is ineligible for the WC!

As I understand it Rowlands disagreed with the pay band he was in. Despite being named Welsh player of the year, he still wasn't eligible to be considered in the top pay band as that's reserved for Lions test players.
Ohhh...so that's why the union is financially ******. They were like "we're only going to have 2-3 players max on that band" and then Gatland came along. When they saw Adam Beard picked they were like "oh ffs he's done it again. How the hell do we afford this?"

On a serious note Rowlands decision makes sense now as he's never going to get a wage rise unless Gatland coaches the lions again.

On a serious note Rowlands decision makes sense now as he's never going to get a wage rise unless Gatland coaches the lions again.
There's a process to challenge the pay band a player is in, which Rowlands used to appeal his pay band. But this is where the current stalemate on funding has caused issues, it seems the WRU aren't considering appeals until the funding has been agreed.

The regions are going to struggle to offer new contracts when they don't know how much they have to spend though, so more could leave Welsh rugby if the ragions can't make them an offer.

LCD to Montpellier upgraded from "all but done" to "done"

@Geordiefalcon on the Chiefs thread said Mcguigan and Radwan coming our way to replace him and O Flahery. Just a rumour at this stage.

And this was as bad a kept secret as Simmonds leaving.

But damn losing LCD Hill Skinner Simmonds and O Flaherty is big. Plus a few other names. Quite abit of cap space freed woth some good young players and smart young signings. Hope it works out in the long run.

Radwan to replace Nowell i would have thought...as he is also leaving.

Joe Simpson has retired,
I thought he was under contract until the end of the year but must have only been 3 months

Means we've only got Gus Warr and Nye Thomas for this weekend now/until Raffi/Cliff are fit

edit: Sounds like it's actually a retirement at the end of the year not immediately, from the Sale press release

Joe Simpson has retired,
I thought he was under contract until the end of the year but must have only been 3 months

Means we've only got Gus Warr and Nye Thomas for this weekend now/until Raffi/Cliff are fit

edit: Sounds like it's actually a retirement at the end of the year not immediately, from the Sale press release
Absolute champ of a player, and in a side note hell of a beer pong player when i met him at a party. Good bloke on and off the field for Wasps.

Not a signing...but Jamie Blamire signs a new two year contract.

Great signing as I thought he'd be away.

I think this gives more substance to McGuigan going to Exeter next season, as Blamire will go first choice and we'll have the physical and talented young Fletcher and Smith coming through and Maddison a very useful back up squad member....

Luke Morahan from Bristol to Bayonne with immediate effect

Salary cap inspectors sniffing around? 👀

Should go for Shilcock or Searle
They'll be annoyed Atkinson and Smith have been snapped up already

"While he will provide extra cover in the absence of Jack, he's with us for the long term, and I'm excited to see the role he can play in helping the club reach its ambitions this season and beyond."

Hopefully Newcastle got a fat fat cheque cause that's a mad signing mid-season

Latest posts