• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

(2022 Rugby Championship - Round 4) - Australia V South Africa (03/9/2022)

TRF_stormer2010

TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
Wallabies:
15 Reece Hodge, 14 Tom Wright, 13 Len Ikitau, 12 Hunter Paisami, 11 Marika Koroibete, 10 Noah Lolesio, 9 Nic White, 8 Rob Valetini, 7 Fraser McReight, 6 Jed Holloway; 5 Matt Philip, 4 Rory Arnold; 3 Allan Alaalatoa, 2 Folau Fainga'a, 1 James Slipper (c)
Substitutes: 16 David Porecki, 17 Scott Sio, 18 Taniela Tupou, 19 Darcy Swain, 20 Rob Leota, 21 Pete Samu, 22 Jake Gordon, 23 Andrew Kellaway

Sprinbokke:
15 Willie le Roux, 14 Canan Moodie, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Damian Willemse, 9 Jaden Hendrikse, 8 Jasper Wiese, 7 Franco Mostert, 6 Siya Kolisi (captain), 5 Lood de Jager, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Malcolm Marx, 1 Steven Kitshoff
Substitutes: 16 Deon Fourie, 17 Ox Nche, 18 Trevor Nyakane, 19 Kwagga Smith, 20 Duane Vermeulen, 21 Cobus Reinach, 22 Frans Steyn, 23 Warrick Gelant

Last edited:
I'm hoping for:

1 Kitshoff
2 Marx
3 Malherbe
All because I am a fan of the logic behind starting your best team and giving yourself every opportunity to win games. As a Stormers supporter I really do hope Dweba can regain confidence even if only for the URC. Only send him in if Marx is injured or unable to make a run.

4 Etzebeth
5 De Jager
We know what we have here and with Snyman set to return some time in the future we don't need to worry about depth here at least.

6 Fourie
7 Kolisi
8 Wiese
My biggest concern is here rather than the front row. Kolisi, PSdT and Vermeulen are all unfit. In Vermeulen's case I question his continued selection. He is anonymous and I just have to assume its fitness/age. With Smith, Wiese, Roos and Louw we have options. Kolisi is not an openside- never has been and that coupled with PSdT also being unfit and losing Vermeulen meaning losing a jackal threat means I'd want an actual open-side and actual jackal threat, Fourie is in the side. Use him. With Smith on the bench as an all-rounder and his skills being more useful later on.

Here I am at a loss. Pollard remains our best option at 10 with Goosen being a a non-option between his injuries. I feel Pollard would be helped by a player like Willemse outside him and with De Allende being in the same boat WRT fitness/impact ala PSdT and Frans Steyn also old and looking it ala Vermeulen:

12 Willemse
13 Am

11 Mapimpi
14 whoever is fit- I know we have a number of injuries here (Kolbe/Nkosi/Moodie/etc etc)
15 Gelant
Gelant to partner and complement Willemse but also in order to build that depth with Le Roux on the bench.

Hoping we do a number on Aussie. I havn't been ****** in a good long time. I do however feel we have it in us.. I can't imagine EVERYTHING again going Aussie's way just like I couldn't imagine round 2 everything going our way again v NZ.

That team that @TRF_stormer2010 picked would beat Australia but you just know the Springboks won't pick that team. I think the Wallabies will win by 3. Unless SA are bold in selection and more ambitious in game-plan it will be rinse and repeat from the last 3 times they've played in Australia.

Ja, I'd be surprised if we made big changes. Nienaber has shown that his MO is to "back" players. Largely I agree BUT it frustrates me that players get to find their form in the actual tests. I am convinced these are good players, the likes of De Allende and PSdT and so on, Dweba as well. But having them get fit on the job as if these test are little more than practice runs I find points towards an absolute disregard for anything other than the RWC- and I am not even convinced we actually gain in that regard even from continuing with out of form players. Depth development has its own value.

That game vs Wales I almost feel as if Nienaber hung the rookies out to dry and my paranoia has me imagining him almost hoping for a loss so as to allow him to continue along the lines of "backing" his out of form players. Couldn't we have had a team with stalwart players in form AND those few newbies rather than going all in on one side or the other? But I'm just rambling now out of frustration because I think you are right- I can't see Nienaber make changes especially with his win % now below 60%. I think he'll just turtle it rather than what I think he views as taking risks.

Damn. Didn't expect this, but oh boy do I like it. Would have played Louw instead of Mostert though, I really dislike Mostert at 7. Kriel at 13 though WTF no.

Springboks –
15 Willie le Roux,
14 Canan Moodie,
13 Jesse Kriel,
12 Damian de Allende,
11 Makazole Mapimpi,
10 Damian Willemse,

9 Jaden Hendrikse,

8 Jasper Wiese,
7 Franco Mostert,
6 Siya Kolisi,
5 Lood de Jager,
4 Eben Etzebeth,
3 Frans Malherbe,
2 Malcolm Marx,
1 Steven Kitshoff.

Subs: 16 Deon Fourie, 17 Ox Nche, 18 Trevor Nyakane, 19 Kwagga Smith, 20 Duane Vermeulen, 21 Cobus Reinach, 22 Frans Steyn, 23 Warrick Gelant.

Marx starts, Boks win, Marx gets dropped

It's the ciiiiiiiircle of life

If Am was fit over Kriel then that would have a decent look... 2 years ago (I'm starting to suspect Mapimpi is losing his edge along with DDA and Le Roux is 33). I hope Willemse stakes a claim at 10 even though he isn't playing there for the Stormers. But with that centre combo outside him I'm not expecting a whole lot.

Elton not picked due to a "hand problem". I think the problem with his hands has been well documented previously. : p

Wow, did not expect THAT but was unaware of the amount of injuries in the Bok camp. It does beg the question though that if we are going to spring a surprise ITO a massively changed line-up why not spring it late to see if we can't get some value out of it?

Deon Fourie over Dweba is a good move though with Marx starting. I've been giving Nienaber flack for poor picks so I'm going to give him kudu's if I see a good one. You want to start Marx and bringing on Fourie retains the jackal threat and adds some mobility even if losing Marx's power.

Would've prefered someone else at 7 to Mostert though, I'm with @Jer1cho on Louw but would've liked any of our other loosies TBH. Even a 6 Smith, 7 Kolisi and 8 Wiese for extra mobility and a jackal threat. Louw on the bench ahead of Vermeulen.

Jesse Kriel is a bit of a bummer especially because it means we're without Am AND alongside an unfit-looking DDA... sheesh. Well, its going to be interesting. I don't like Willemse at 10 from a Stormers POV but maybe for SA its good.

Marx starts, Boks win, Marx gets dropped

It's the ciiiiiiiircle of life
the lion king GIF by Walt Disney Records

Wallabies:
TBA

Sprinbokke:
15 Willie le Roux, 14 Canan Moodie, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Damian Willemse, 9 Jaden Hendrikse, 8 Jasper Wiese, 7 Franco Mostert, 6 Siya Kolisi (captain), 5 Lood de Jager, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Malcolm Marx, 1 Steven Kitshoff
Substitutes: 16 Deon Fourie, 17 Ox Nche, 18 Trevor Nyakane, 19 Kwagga Smith, 20 Duane Vermeulen, 21 Cobus Reinach, 22 Frans Steyn, 23 Warrick Gelant
I believe we should select Bok teams to contest and win every test match. Prepping for a WC every 4 years in not what fans want. Be consistently good like the AB's used to be and if we win a WC that's a bonus. Nienaber can keep his "big picture" strategy! We must select and play to win!

Unchanged starting lineup for Wallabies. Only change is Gordon in for McDermott on the bench.

Unchanged starting lineup for Wallabies. Only change is Gordon in for McDermott on the bench.
And Ben O'Keeffe as their 16th man on the pitch, at least no doubt we will be hearing so by the end of the game.

I'll stick to my prediction from the last game of anything inbetween a 20 point victory for either side. Don't have the slightest clue here.

I'm going to start making predictions for posterity.

Boks by 12+
Willemse and Le Roux look very comfortable alternating between 1st and 2nd receiver
Moodie shows why he a future test centurion

Australia ill discipline continues
Tongan Thor fails to impress, again

Finally, NZ wins and the Rugby Championship goes into September wide open with all teams essentially tied.

I havnt wanted a win quite so much in a while - just to wind up the Boks moaning fans.

I hope we win by a single point on the back of something reeeeeal controversial just to see the collective implosion.

I think the Springboks will win. Just a hunch. 🏉

jump deers GIF

That's harsh. Yellow because there would have been a warning but for the quick tap, dont like that.

Pretty sure SA got away with an in the side clear out on their first advantage too.

Latest posts