• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2022 Six Nations] England vs Ireland (12/03/22)

Hell there isn't even the sign of something we are trying but it simply isn't clicking, the whole thing looks clueless.
This is the most frustrating part of it - we're doing the same thing over and over, and when it doesn't work we just do it some more
If we came into this 6N with a new gameplan that wasn't clicking then you could excuse it, but it's more of the same (though vs Ireland the kicking game actually worked, which is a vast improvement)

Maybe we all owe Farrell an apology, because our attack is equally as rudderless with Smith at 10, unfortunately

This is the most frustrating part of it - we're doing the same thing over and over, and when it doesn't work we just do it some more
If we came into this 6N with a new gameplan that wasn't clicking then you could excuse it, but it's more of the same (though vs Ireland the kicking game actually worked, which is a vast improvement)

Maybe we all owe Farrell an apology, because our attack is equally as rudderless with Smith at 10, unfortunately
I don't think it's fair to blame Smith for Englands shortcomings in attack.
At quins he has Dombrandt at 8, care at 9 and Andre the giant outside him, and quins play a high tempo, high risk high reward style of rugby.
Whilst with England he has no idea who his 8, 9 or 12 will be wk to wk, add to that Jones mantra of kick & clap rugby and the lad has nowhere to go.
Englands problems in attack were evident long before Marcus Smith came along!!

I don't think it's fair to blame Smith for Englands shortcomings in attack.
I'm doing literally the opposite
We look just as clueless with Smith as with Farrell, which suggests it's a coaching issue not a player one, because otherwise we'd have seen improvement with the severely out of form Farrell gone

We look just as clueless with Smith as with Farrell, which suggests it's a coaching issue not a player one, because otherwise we'd have seen improvement with the severely out of form Farrell gone
That is true enough, I think it's beyond question that the problem lies with Jones and his ever revolving coaching set up.
It's a catalogue of incoherent selection, bluff & bluster and bullshit pyschobabble.
I don't think he has any idea what his best team would look like.

Literally the definition of insanity. (As often attributed to Einstein, although he probably didn't say it).

And that is what is so brilliant about it. Doing precisely what we've over and over every time before, is exactly the last thing they'll expect us to do this time.

You can't compare the two.

Smith replaced Ford.

Farrell has been replaced by Slade who is a massive problem more than he is a solution.

While I agree there is a coaching/ tactics problem, we constantly change players who are very different and expect things to work.

Eddie Jones is bordering on insanity.

That is true enough, I think it's beyond question that the problem lies with Jones and his ever revolving coaching set up.
It's a catalogue of incoherent selection, bluff & bluster and bullshit pyschobabble.
I don't think he has any idea what his best team would look like.
I think he knows what his best team looks like (or more accurately, he knew what his favourite team looked like until this year). The issue is he is utterly clueless about any players beyond that and clueless about any gameplans that don't involve them. It's why England with all players fit are suddenly much sharper but once injuries hit, our form drops off much much more than it should. Having lots of players at a high level should mean our form should drop the least when players are injured compared to say Wales or Scotland. Because of Jones though, the opposite seems to happen. He is so focused on 1 team and strategy that our form crumbles worse than many other nations as soon as we don't have the team or the strategy isn't quite clicking. It's insanely rigid.

You can't compare the two.

Smith replaced Ford.

Farrell has been replaced by Slade who is a massive problem more than he is a solution.

While I agree there is a coaching/ tactics problem, we constantly change players who are very different and expect things to work.

Eddie Jones is bordering on insanity.
In one sentence you said all that needs to be said.

I think he knows what his best team looks like (or more accurately, he knew what his favourite team looked like until this year). The issue is he is utterly clueless about any players beyond that and clueless about any gameplans that don't involve them. It's why England with all players fit are suddenly much sharper but once injuries hit, our form drops off much much more than it should. Having lots of players at a high level should mean our form should drop the least when players are injured compared to say Wales or Scotland. Because of Jones though, the opposite seems to happen. He is so focused on 1 team and strategy that our form crumbles worse than many other nations as soon as we don't have the team or the strategy isn't quite clicking. It's insanely rigid.
This is what used to grind my gears so much. It wasn't that Farrell was playing, it was that when another 10 came on, he would just move out one position. Considering Jones seems to take pride in his "what ifs" he never seemed to consider the eventuality of Farrell not being available at all.

Squidge did a video on England v Wales, and noticed how England looked good with shape for the most part, despite free style form they're looking for out of their forwards, but the big issues came when Smith took the ball on a run and was on the ground out of the game, everything looked headless for 1/2 phases, and failed to capitalise on any momentum built from breaking gain line, which is something you'd point the finger at Slade for. Smith's running threat has its pros and cons, and actually marshalled the game well v Ireland in terms of territory and playing in the right areas

The IRFU deciding which player to poach to replace Sexton

Screenshot 2022-03-14 at 16.33.28.png

I see Jones has blamed poor old max mallins for defeat last wk!!.
Meanwhile upfront, nic dolly, isiekwe, barbeary and chessum are all back in the travelling 28.
It's like the ******* hokey cokey.

36 pages criticising Jones for not dropping Malins.
Within 1 page of Jones dropping Malins, we see posts criticising Jones for dropping Malins.

hmmm, I wonder why one or two of us feel that TRF en masse has lost objectivity when it comes to Jones...

Latest posts