• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2022 Six Nations] England vs Wales (26/02/22)

Doesn't Dombrandt captain Quins quite often? Seems to be nailing down the 8 shirt.
Only when Lewies is injured (all the time this year) but yeah he's quite good when captain - good cool temperament imo. I'm not a huge fan of giving intl captaincy this early but **** it we can't do a huge amount worse

Which players are part of the current leadership group? Obviously Curry, Lawes, Genge. Is Maro, Youngs, George? Any others?

Always liked when Aussie Cricket captain was only picked after best 11 were picked.
Having a captain almost means you only form for 1 player is out of the window, unlike the rest in squad.

Old Nigel's completely unbiased opinion on England's solitary try from his piece in the Torygraph

"You cannot obstruct an opponent from jumping at the lineout, and when you watch the footage back it looks like Itoje did that, before Dombrandt subsequently scored.

Normally, if there was any doubt then the referee would refer to the television match official, and because that incident was a moment of foul play it is covered under the protocol of using the TMO

Even if the officials were not aware of the incident, the TMO would be watching everything in the truck and could intervene. I was surprised that didn't happen, particularly when the Wales players were asking the referee to check for foul play. That would normally trigger a review

I was never one for wanting players to tell me to check something, and would tell them to not come chasing me for potential incidents to be reviewed.

But if the captain or the player concerned did so in the correct manner regarding a particular moment, that would make me question whether they have a point and I would ask the TMO to have a look.

"If it had been checked, then the decision centres on whether Itoje obstructed Beard from jumping at the lineout. I would say Itoje probably did obstruct Beard, which means if it had been checked, I would have been pretty surprised if the try had stood.

"If you did not see the incident yourself as the referee, you would be hoping that your assistants and the TMO would intervene. The smile on Itoje's face said everything, really!

"The reason people will be disappointed is because moments like that are why we have the technology in the game.

"I have seen the comments made by Pivac and he is right to be disappointed and to ask the question why it wasn't checked.
Tough ****. Revenge for the two ridiculous tries Wales were gifted in last year's 6N.

I might have missed it, but I don't think I've seen any mention of Francis 'passing' his HIA yet.

The video clip of him stumbling when on his knees looks pretty damning.
Isn't there supposed to be some independent doctor who reviews it?

Tough ****. Revenge for the two ridiculous tries Wales were gifted in last year's 6N.
Those tries didn't effect the score line in the end. This one did as you only won by 4 points. I appreciate no one would've known how the game would've gone in Cardiff last year had that knock on not been given but still, slightly different situations I'd say.

Not arguing about it, though, as I'm not that annoyed about it tbh.

I quite liked Dylan Hartley's take. He was saying the try never would've happened if AWJ had been playing. Would've put a stop to it either himself or via the ref. Dylan knows.

Those tries didn't effect the score line in the end. This one did as you only won by 4 points. I appreciate no one would've known how the game would've gone in Cardiff last year had that knock on not been given but still, slightly different situations I'd say.

Not arguing about it, though, as I'm not that annoyed about it tbh.
Not having a go cause ik you're not arguing this one, but I really do hate that argument.

Scores don't only affect the scoreboard, the affect tactics, subs, mentality etc which all have a wider impact and do dictate the scotr

Not having a go cause ik you're not arguing this one, but I really do hate that argument.

Scores don't only affect the scoreboard, the affect tactics, subs, mentality etc which all have a wider impact and do dictate the scotr
Yeah that is true of course. Just that I don't think the 2 are that comparable when you look at the games, the scoreline and how we really managed and closed that game out in Cardiff. The game just gone, I'm sure, had a lot of nervous Englishman in that last few minutes thinking we were going to sneak it. I mean, just the fact it was 3 tries to 1 as well.

Your point is 100% correct though which is why these conversations are pointless as no one has access to a parallel universe where we can see what would've happened had the knock on been given.

Of course it wasnt the only lineout that Wales completely messed up by over throwing to Dombrandt. In the other case he was clean through again but called back by the ref for some unknown reason

I might have missed it, but I don't think I've seen any mention of Francis 'passing' his HIA yet.

The video clip of him stumbling when on his knees looks pretty damning.
Yep. According to this Sky article his injury warranted an immediate and permanent removal without the need for an HIA. Hot on the heels of the Nowell incident v Ita the game is not covering itself in glory.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sk...inst-england-at-twickenham-heavily-criticised

For all the 'progress' the world of rugby is saying it's making in head injures. This 6 nations has had some poor moments, Francis clearly being concussed then the two England Italy incidents of Nowell and that young lad in the u20s.

Last edited:

Latest posts