• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2022 Six Nations] France vs Ireland (12/02/22)

I think Sexton made a joke prior to the Wales game commenting on Biggar's captinancy saying something like "I don't think the ref will like the fact us 2 are captains" he knows he's just as bad. It's a 10 thing (being an annoying, moaning prick is a prerequisite for being a 9 as well to be fair)

You could have added in cocky, prima donna, diva and even 'God complex' otherwise good summing up of a half back :)

We should have abandoned this year's 6N and just had a France v Ireland tri test series.

Last edited:
Sexton sulking and getting snotty with officials and his game slipping has happened a fair few times I distinctly remember the game against England pre World Cup it resulted in Slade intercepting around the 22, he was literally like a petulant child that game, but tbf that's something Bigger and Faz are all pretty guilty of, at time of writing My original comment Irelands pack were just getting beaten constantly which is obviously very unusual, under those conditions I don't think Sexton could have done much and think there is a genuine possibility he would just irritate the ref. With all that said clearly the second half Ireland manage positive collisions and were not dominated in the pack hence the score, if I was Irish I would be bloody proud of that second half performance, when you think where you were this time last year compared to now, France are a few tournaments in with their current group and really it is becoming an increasingly if not now then when for them, Ireland probably the only team able to mount a descent challenge this tournament unless France don't turn up.

I read your post as only talking about his effect on refs but parking that for a sec. The Slade intercept came in the 75th minute when Ireland were down by more that 7 points which is pretty much the time you should be forcing things. 2019 was a down year for Sexton but outside talk overall he wasn't in our top 5 reasons for the team slump that year.

With regards to the ref, people online make a big deal about Sexton being 'petulant' (I prefer narky, but to each their own) and how he'll hurt Ireland with the refs. However, you'll also see the same people saying Leinster and Ireland get away with murder at the breakdown or the scrum, and that Sexton is a diver who milks penalties or cards. This seems like a degree of doublethink to me. I understand a lot of people don't like Sexton and his natural speaking pitch does make it sound even worse but actual results and actions show me that refs have a great deal of respect for him. Barnes and Poite in particular seem to have good relationships with him, although it probably is the opposite with Gauzere. He has a great rugby brain and is often successful in getting refs to watch out for something we're not happy with. Sexton is also one of the only captains I've seen convince a ref to check something with the TMO that they weren't going to beforehand.

A lot of Irish fans were unhappy with Gardner yesterday. If Sexton was playing yesterday, I think non-Irish fans would have been ****** off about the way he was talking to the ref but Ireland would have had a decision or two more go their way. Overall, I just feel the Sexton being bad with refs narrative is one that's pushed based on the feelings of who's saying it rather than based off what's actually happening on the pitch.

I definitely am proud of the second half performance overall, we played possibly the best team in the world away without or star player and could have, should have, would have. There's some hugely promising signs that we're doing that well and still shooting ourselves in the foot at times but I'd still rather we weren't shooting ourselves in the foot.

You could have added in cocky, prima donna, diva and even 'God complex' otherwise good summing up of a half back :)

We should have abandoned this year's 6N and just had a France v Ireland tri test series.
Ha ha. True.

I agree that while Ireland and France look head and shoulders above the rest at the minute I definitely wouldn't rule out England beating either, or maybe both of, France and Ireland.

Edit , or Scotland getting a sneaky win either. France still have a lot to do to convince me they won't have any brain farts and throw away victories.

I read your post as only talking about his effect on refs but parking that for a sec. The Slade intercept came in the 75th minute when Ireland were down by more that 7 points which is pretty much the time you should be forcing things. 2019 was a down year for Sexton but outside talk overall he wasn't in our top 5 reasons for the team slump that year.

With regards to the ref, people online make a big deal about Sexton being 'petulant' (I prefer narky, but to each their own) and how he'll hurt Ireland with the refs. However, you'll also see the same people saying Leinster and Ireland get away with murder at the breakdown or the scrum, and that Sexton is a diver who milks penalties or cards. This seems like a degree of doublethink to me. I understand a lot of people don't like Sexton and his natural speaking pitch does make it sound even worse but actual results and actions show me that refs have a great deal of respect for him. Barnes and Poite in particular seem to have good relationships with him, although it probably is the opposite with Gauzere. He has a great rugby brain and is often successful in getting refs to watch out for something we're not happy with. Sexton is also one of the only captains I've seen convince a ref to check something with the TMO that they weren't going to beforehand.

A lot of Irish fans were unhappy with Gardner yesterday. If Sexton was playing yesterday, I think non-Irish fans would have been ****** off about the way he was talking to the ref but Ireland would have had a decision or two more go their way. Overall, I just feel the Sexton being bad with refs narrative is one that's pushed based on the feelings of who's saying it rather than based off what's actually happening on the pitch.

I definitely am proud of the second half performance overall, we played possibly the best team in the world away without or star player and could have, should have, would have. There's some hugely promising signs that we're doing that well and still shooting ourselves in the foot at times but I'd still rather we weren't shooting ourselves in the foot.
Not exclusively his interaction with the refs just his general influences on a game not going to plan guess we will have to Agree to disagree on Sexton I don't doubt his ability at all, I just don't think he is a particularly positive influence with a team struggling for momentum, he's not that use to it, in my example of the intercept I was highlighting the pinnacle of his poor influence, he had many more throughout the game and much earlier on, either way I
Don't think he or any other 10 could really have done a lot in that first half, if there was a time he would like wind up a ref this would be it.

I think he was probably our best back after Ringer and Hansen, the two mistakes I mentioned and the deadball kick were poor but otherwise he was doing everything to an extremely high level as per. Still want Lowry to have a shot but not with any real look to ousting him.

View attachment 13274

Scotland post polishing process
To be fair I thought Joey and Mack were out best 2 backs by a distance. Ring rose towards then end became fatigued and it told. But regardless not saying Keenan was awful. Just not great. Do think he was going of our better backs but that says more about our backs On a whole. Agree Lowry needs shots so we have alternative. Don't think Keenan should be gone at all

Latest posts