• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2022 Six Nations] France vs Ireland (12/02/22)

I'm not too upset either. We were not far off there. In terms of changes to that side, there's not many I want. Look it's always a bit aspirational to do big changes for Italy but it rarely happens. I dont think anyone is suggesting otherwise, but we don't need to overcorrect with selections. JGP, Keenan and a few other were not their best today, but despite that we were close.

It's very harsh and rough for the lad, but Carty may be done in green. Can't come into a game like that and make mistakes like that.

O'Mahony may be crocked so would be good to see Coombes. I don't think Hume will make it sadly just as the imperative will probably be leaving our centres be or getting Henshaw fit. Lowry starts or he doesn't play at all I would say. I'd like Casey ahead of Murray on the bench, but again unlikely. Baloucoune might get a shot somewhere!

I'd like to see Coombes start against Italy at 8 rather than 6 tbh. If we are planning to play ball in hand I think he has all the skills needed, and I think Doris, despite having a big error count today, is potentially a world class 6 and probably needs a chance to get over today. I'm a huge fan of Keenan's but I thought he was under par last week and downright poor today, and I think Lowry brings a bigger attacking threat and deserves a shot. I wouldn't like to see too many changes as we need to see how the newly introduced players play in a decent side rather than a cobbled together one. I would also like to see Doak training with the squad because I believe he's our future at 9.

Today I thought Hansen, Beirne and Furlong were again our best players, with most of the rest being a mixed bag, and some were downright poor, but I can't ever remember a French side in the 6ns playing with such sustained intensity from the first minute, so I wouldn't be too harsh. In fact I think it was a huge achievement for us to be so close at the end, and the fact we were actually in with a chance of winning was borderline miraculous.

Just registered so please be gentle.

ive read this thread but haven't seen any mention of the refs bizarre penalty advantage decision when Ireland were attacking. I've never seen an advantage over decision being made so quickly, and it was in marked contrast to, for instance, the penalty advantage that he allowed France before calling them back for their first penalty. It came at a really critical point in the match, and I thought initially I'd mistaken his call for a scrum advantage.
Being nice biggest mistake the team of 4 made was not giving French try. Even BOD said it was a try .However the ref is sole arbiter of decision on pitch he called no try so no definite evidence to overturn.
Other calls were 50/50 calls no fan of A G but at least he is good on telling players what he wants.
Home crowd certainly thought he gave them nowt.

Firstly what a great game that was, it lived up to the hype. France in the first half looked like they could blow Ireland away but the way the Irish played in the second half was brilliant. They put the phases together, Carbery slotted into the Sexton role almost seamlessly. They looked like they could cut through the French defence at any moment. France though showed a lot of maturity to steady themselves at 22-21 and see the job through, but it was never comfortable for the French. I know we say it all the time but Dupont really is just the best player around at the moment. First half he was unbelievable, he's a freak. The main conclusion after that one is that France and Ireland are the two best teams in the northern hemisphere by a mile.

France are going to walk the Slam now, I thought Scotland could beat them in Murrayfield but they've disappointed me so far. The French will get through that one and then will comfortably beat Wales and England. If France blow it from here id be shocked. The gap between France and the rest bar Ireland is huge.

I'd like to see Coombes start against Italy at 8 rather than 6 tbh. If we are planning to play ball in hand I think he has all the skills needed, and I think Doris, despite having a big error count today, is potentially a world class 6 and probably needs a chance to get over today. I'm a huge fan of Keenan's but I thought he was under par last week and downright poor today, and I think Lowry brings a bigger attacking threat and deserves a shot. I wouldn't like to see too many changes as we need to see how the newly introduced players play in a decent side rather than a cobbled together one. I would also like to see Doak training with the squad because I believe he's our future at 9.

Today I thought Hansen, Beirne and Furlong were again our best players, with most of the rest being a mixed bag, and some were downright poor, but I can't ever remember a French side in the 6ns playing with such sustained intensity from the first minute, so I wouldn't be too harsh. In fact I think it was a huge achievement for us to be so close at the end, and the fact we were actually in with a chance of winning was borderline miraculous.
Good post. Think Ringer and Ryan can be added to those players as our best so far this tournament. Josh had a poor first half but has been otherwise excellent.

A bit worrying that the new guy with a fraction of the professional appearance as the other two is comfortably our best back three player. Mack, Lowry, Balacoune would be my back three for Italy with our strongest side elsewhere and Coombes on the bench.

The Virgin lads were saying Carbery should get the start v Italy but I don't think it really matters re his development, he needs a start in NZ this summer and at least one more big game against top opposition prior to the world cup but he's surpassed the level of needing to play Italy.

Full on match. Credit to Ire for getting back into it but Fra will be disappointed they let them. Seemed to be a pretty big drop off after they subbed their front 5.

You've got to fancy them for a GS now. And I think they've got a fair bit more in them.

I'd start Carbery because it would serve the dual purpose of giving him game time and a chance to build on his improved second half today, and also give Sexton more recovery time, and take him out of the firing line and save him for games where we really need him.

Hansen has been a revelation, and today proved that last week wasn't a flash in the pan. Leaving aside his try, his overall game was excellent, and he was completely unfazed by the occasion. While I think it's a bit harsh on Conway I'd love to see Balacoune get an opportunity, but I'm not sure Farrell will make two changes in the back three. I think it's actually more likely Balacoune rather than Lowry will start. Whatever the side it's unpecedented to have so many quality options.

I'd play Sexton as much as possible until BPs are secured, then immediately bench him for Carberry to give him a little more gametime. At least while the tournament is still potentially there for the taking.

On all changes what needs to happen.

Back 3.
Keenan was poor today. But that is a rare occasion. No issue there. Still want to see us have a 2nd option here.
Wingers. Hansen has earned his stripes and I like that he comes in off wing but is effective in the carry. Conway has struggled and again there should be more competition here.

On 10 shirt I think Joey has cemented his spot as backup now. He was 1 of our best players and as I predicted this week this was a game that would suit him.

On 9 shirt - I'm still a bit unsure. JGP is best option at moment for this style. But is very inconsistent. Can do good things like the try but also some awful stuff. Murray was slightly better when he came on BUT is not suited to this style as a starter. Casey is closer to what is needed but needs to prove it too.

On backrow - Alot of ye mentioned Gav. From his comments on Friday he seems to be a long long way from a jersey in 23 in his eyes. As I said he is recovering still from a rough November but seems to be nowhere near Ireland. Was sent back to us Tuesday night and won't return until Monday week (if he is recalled).

I really don't see many changes for Italy though as they want to bounce back and fact it is in middle of 2 rest weeks will mean no need to rest guys. Sexton will start and Joey to 22. Not sure what Kelleher or POM injuries are. They may dictate changes. Can see Beirne in at 6 and Henderson in at lock too.

On all changes what needs to happen.

Back 3.
Keenan was poor today. But that is a rare occasion. No issue there. Still want to see us have a 2nd option here.
Wingers. Hansen has earned his stripes and I like that he comes in off wing but is effective in the carry. Conway has struggled and again there should be more competition here.

On 10 shirt I think Joey has cemented his spot as backup now. He was 1 of our best players and as I predicted this week this was a game that would suit him.

On 9 shirt - I'm still a bit unsure. JGP is best option at moment for this style. But is very inconsistent. Can do good things like the try but also some awful stuff. Murray was slightly better when he came on BUT is not suited to this style as a starter. Casey is closer to what is needed but needs to prove it too.

On backrow - Alot of ye mentioned Gav. From his comments on Friday he seems to be a long long way from a jersey in 23 in his eyes. As I said he is recovering still from a rough November but seems to be nowhere near Ireland. Was sent back to us Tuesday night and won't return until Monday week (if he is recalled).

I really don't see many changes for Italy though as they want to bounce back and fact it is in middle of 2 rest weeks will mean no need to rest guys. Sexton will start and Joey to 22. Not sure what Kelleher or POM injuries are. They may dictate changes. Can see Beirne in at 6 and Henderson in at lock too.

I tried to think of a team I'd like to see vs Italy but it was difficult. I don't see the need to be playing the likes of Furlong / Porter / Beirne / Aki since they've been solid and bashing Italy 50-17 or whatever isn't going to help them.
But at the same time I agree with not wanting to make too many changes.

Also that's a shame re Coombes really could have used his power today.

Really enjoyed that one. Dupont is an exceptional player and the out and out best s/h in World rugby right now.
Credit to Ireland for not folding after being outplayed in the first half. Good comeback, but some poor decision making didn't help.
Dupont Motm for me but Furlong ran him close. Very impressive French pack too. No question, the best team in the tournament.

Been watching bits back and take back what I've said about Keenan. He had a huge game, apart from being pushed out by Villiere he really added a lot to our game and is a big reason why we're attacking wide channels so well.

The kick at the end was a bit nuts but Conway also looked like he was calling for it.

I tried to think of a team I'd like to see vs Italy but it was difficult. I don't see the need to be playing the likes of Furlong / Porter / Beirne / Aki since they've been solid and bashing Italy 50-17 or whatever isn't going to help them.
But at the same time I agree with not wanting to make too many changes.

Also that's a shame re Coombes really could have used his power today.
I think it will be treated as a game we need a huge score as well as letting lads who played poorly get back on it.

Been watching bits back and take back what I've said about Keenan. He had a huge game, apart from being pushed out by Villiere he really added a lot to our game and is a big reason why we're attacking wide channels so well.

The kick at the end was a bit nuts but Conway also looked like he was calling for it.
To be fair Hugo was not great today but I think it isn't important.
Yes he was important in spreading ball but had errors today. Wasn't terrible either but not great

The 'fear factor' was quite evident today I thought too. Any time Villiere or Penaud got the ball you could see the defensive shape start to break at the edges with players backing off and turning their shoulders, preparing to lose ground before they've even started to accelerate. Conway just doesn't have that threat for me. He's reliable, dependable, versatile, a great squad player.. but he's just not threatening enough. Hansen feels like he has it though, as does Baloucoune and Lowe. By the time the world cup rolls around I'd like to think they will be our top 3 wingers.

I know he was crucial to us in the past for the high ball chase and he was great at getting in the air but to be honest I don't think that's our top priority anymore.

Must say I'm not too upset. We knew this was tough game. Knew we a team building and well we are saying we were missing out 10/captain, played poorly at times regarding errors and left alot behind us. And we still were in it until the end.
Faz and co are doing great job and I for 1 am happy as it is progress and we lost but he would've learned a hell of a lot and 6Nations is still there to be won
Not sure you guys are still team building. I'd say you're more team polishing, which is the same as France and Scotland. Majority of the squad is pretty settled and it's trying to identify the strongest setups and tweak a few positions. England and Wales by contrast are all over the place and have no idea what their best side is. Trying out completely new combinations and hoping to find something that works.

To be fair Hugo was not great today but I think it isn't important.
Yes he was important in spreading ball but had errors today. Wasn't terrible either but not great
I think he was probably our best back after Ringer and Hansen, the two mistakes I mentioned and the deadball kick were poor but otherwise he was doing everything to an extremely high level as per. Still want Lowry to have a shot but not with any real look to ousting him.

Not sure you guys are still team building. I'd say you're more team polishing, which is the same as France and Scotland. Majority of the squad is pretty settled and it's trying to identify the strongest setups and tweak a few positions. England and Wales by contrast are all over the place and have no idea what their best side is. Trying out completely new combinations and hoping to find something that works.

cG0GZGWg.jpg

Scotland post polishing process

We've Italy in the middle week. Historically that has meant very few non-injury enforced changes and more of a focus on keeping momentum.

People like saying this but what actual examples have you got?

I've seen more examples of Sexton helping his team with refs than hurting.
Sexton sulking and getting snotty with officials and his game slipping has happened a fair few times I distinctly remember the game against England pre World Cup it resulted in Slade intercepting around the 22, he was literally like a petulant child that game, but tbf that's something Bigger and Faz are all pretty guilty of, at time of writing My original comment Irelands pack were just getting beaten constantly which is obviously very unusual, under those conditions I don't think Sexton could have done much and think there is a genuine possibility he would just irritate the ref. With all that said clearly the second half Ireland manage positive collisions and were not dominated in the pack hence the score, if I was Irish I would be bloody proud of that second half performance, when you think where you were this time last year compared to now, France are a few tournaments in with their current group and really it is becoming an increasingly if not now then when for them, Ireland probably the only team able to mount a descent challenge this tournament unless France don't turn up.

I think he was probably our best back after Ringer and Hansen, the two mistakes I mentioned and the deadball kick were poor but otherwise he was doing everything to an extremely high level as per. Still want Lowry to have a shot but not with any real look to ousting him.
over the last few champions cups, does he have the kicking game required at international or would he struggle?

Sexton sulking and getting snotty with officials and his game slipping has happened a fair few times I distinctly remember the game against England pre World Cup it resulted in Slade intercepting around the 22, he was literally like a petulant child that game, but tbf that's something Bigger and Faz are all pretty guilty of, at time of writing My original comment Irelands pack were just getting beaten constantly which is obviously very unusual, under those conditions I don't think Sexton could have done much and think there is a genuine possibility he would just irritate the ref. With all that said clearly the second half Ireland manage positive collisions and were not dominated in the pack hence the score, if I was Irish I would be bloody proud of that second half performance, when you think where you were this time last year compared to now, France are a few tournaments in with their current group and really it is becoming an increasingly if not now then when for them, Ireland probably the only team able to mount a descent challenge this tournament unless France don't turn up.
I think Sexton made a joke prior to the Wales game commenting on Biggar's captinancy saying something like "I don't think the ref will like the fact us 2 are captains" he knows he's just as bad. It's a 10 thing (being an annoying, moaning prick is a prerequisite for being a 9 as well to be fair)

Latest posts