• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2022 Six Nations] Ireland vs Wales (05/02/22)

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
Screenshot 2022-01-31 at 14.50.34.png

We're rightly being written off in this game but even I am a little surprised how much so especially when it seems we thrive on it. So I'm not going for a 50 point loss or nothing as some have predicted but I guess it could go that way I just think this could be a lot closer than some are think it will be. I'm going for an optimistic 7–12 point loss 32-20 or some ****. If we're winning the game with 10/15 mins left perhaps we can pull off a minor miracle with the pressure off a bit but not getting my hopes up considering the injuries and Ireland being pretty much fully loaded, in form and at home, obviously.

The Wales team will be interesting. Few decisions for Pivac. Lots of talk of Adams at 13 but I can't see him doing that against Ireland. I'd imagine it'll be something like:

1. Wyn Jones
2. Elias
3. Francis
4. Beard
5. Rowlands
6. Jenkins
7. Basham
8. Wainwright
9. Williams
10. Biggar
11. Adams
12. Halaholo
13. Davies
14. LRZ
15. Williams

16. Roberts
17. Carre
18. Brown
19. Seb Davies
20. Moriarty
21. Davies
22. Anscombe
23. McNicholl

Yeah, for once I'm very confident against Wales to the point I'd say it'd be a disaster if we lose. They haven't won here since 2012 and this is probably the biggest gulf in quality in those years after 2018.

Wales will want to make the match.... Weird, they thrive in awkward games. Currently our gameplan is to avoid those type of affairs and with a strong pack, JGP and Sexton we should be able to implement even if Lowe/Stockdale are big facets to that.

I think we're a bit overvalued coming into this comp, we seem to be joint favourites with France which is a bit mad considering trips to Paris and London rarely go well. Saying that 3 home wins is the minimum for this group.

Ireland looked good in AI. They seemed really well organised in both attack and defence, all players seemed to be in decent form and settled as well. Anything less than 3 wins would be a disappointment for them.
Wales definitely had some decisions go their way last 6 nations but as it went on they were improving and things seemed positive. Then the AI's happened and they have seemed to gone backwards?
Not sure what to expect on the weekend, certainly can't see a Wales win, I would just be happy with them still being in with a chance of wining towards of the end of the game to be fair.

Amongst the sea of Irishman saying how rubbish Wales are and how we don't stand a chance and will lose comfortably (which suits me) it annoys me that Robin Mcbryde couldn't help himself by essentially calling the Irish lazy and how they don't work as hard as the Welsh. Come on Robin, keep it to yourself, guaranteed they'll be out working us come Saturday

I actually think it's less to do with how rubbish Wales are and how outstanding Ireland were in the AI's, even the really comprehensive defeat of Japan isnt something I've seen done to them since they became competitive, the beating of New Zealand were actually Ireland really weren't all that clinical and conceded two tries out of nowhere in that game allowing NZ to be close at all (one was through a lineout move that should be tightened up on for instance), but the Ireland attack and defense, very very ominous for a Wales team that are a little off colour by their usual standards

I actually think it's less to do with how rubbish Wales are and how outstanding Ireland were in the AI's, even the really comprehensive defeat of Japan isnt something I've seen done to them since they became competitive, the beating of New Zealand were actually Ireland really weren't all that clinical and conceded two tries out of nowhere in that game allowing NZ to be close at all (one was through a lineout move that should be tightened up on for instance), but the Ireland attack and defense, very very ominous for a Wales team that are a little off colour by their usual standards
The NZ game rightly gets talked up but I remember being super impressed with that Japan performance and style of play. I know Japan can be a bit inconsistent but they're a really good side.

I think most of what has been said is fair, certainly not controversial. I just know if I was Irish I'd perhaps be a little bit more wary of a Wales team with nothing to lose and not much pressure. But then I'm always a bag of nerves before games and expect the worst.

The NZ game rightly gets talked up but I remember being super impressed with that Japan performance and style of play. I know Japan can be a bit inconsistent but they're a really good side.

I think most of what has been said is fair, certainly not controversial. I just know if I was Irish I'd perhaps be a little bit more wary of a Wales team with nothing to lose and not much pressure. But then I'm always a bag of nerves before games and expect the worst.
Also hadn't Japan not played together since the last world cup?

I don't know what it was about the autumn but I'm not too excited by it in the sense that it's a platform to take us to a championship.

I think we're dead set for 3rd place in this tournament unless England are really bad. We're still very reliant on Sexton to be properly world class, now he's the best 10 in the comp bar none when fully fit but he hadn't got more than 120mins in the tank across consecutive weekends. As I said before, our left wing is a huge part of the gameplan and missing a big boot and powerful strike runner there will be difficult and this makes our centres more limited as a result.

I think it's telling that people are calling this championship wide open, the seemingly two best teams are France and Ireland who are definitely the two sides whose best and worst performances across a tournament tend to have the highest variance. (France just tend to be more spectacular)

Our pack is probably the tournament's strongest but for us to win a slam or championship they're going to have to totally dominate 4 or 5 games with the two likely to be the most difficult both away from home. It'll be very very tough.

We're rightly being written off in this game but even I am a little surprised how much so especially when it seems we thrive on it. So I'm not going for a 50 point loss or nothing as some have predicted but I guess it could go that way I just think this could be a lot closer than some are think it will be. I'm going for an optimistic 7–12 point loss 32-20 or some ****. If we're winning the game with 10/15 mins left perhaps we can pull off a minor miracle with the pressure off a bit but not getting my hopes up considering the injuries and Ireland being pretty much fully loaded, in form and at home, obviously.

The Wales team will be interesting. Few decisions for Pivac. Lots of talk of Adams at 13 but I can't see him doing that against Ireland. I'd imagine it'll be something like:

1. Wyn Jones
2. Elias
3. Francis
4. Beard
5. Rowlands
6. Jenkins
7. Basham
8. Wainwright
9. Williams
10. Biggar
11. Adams
12. Halaholo
13. Davies
14. LRZ
15. Williams

16. Roberts
17. Carre
18. Brown
19. Seb Davies
20. Moriarty
21. Davies
22. Anscombe
23. McNicholl
I agree that it'll be a lot closer than some have predicted, although I can't see Wales pulling this one off. For me Wales need to lay down a mark with the style of game that they are trying to play, which can later be strengthened by players returning from injury.

Wales' set piece when to crap in the AI after being decent in the 6 nations but not only that which needs to be on point but their ball retention as well. That's something that was one of their weakest parts of their game in the AI while something Ireland are good at.

I agree that it'll be a lot closer than some have predicted, although I can't see Wales pulling this one off. For me Wales need to lay down a mark with the style of game that they are trying to play, which can later be strengthened by players returning from injury.
Yeah I totally agree. It's the thing that's frustrating me most about Pivac I'm still not seeing a clear style of play or philosophy. It's even more annoying when you see Ireland, France and England doing well in this regard.

Part of me would rather play a more risky game and lose to Ireland by 50 points than lose by 7 and play boring rugby. Having said that I'll happily take a **** house 9-6 victory or some ********. Lol.

With no disrespect to Wales it would be pretty disastrous if we lost our home opener with two extremely tough away games this year. We are a Sexton injury away from having a very poor Six Nations though. Frustrating when we're well set pretty much everywhere else

Latest posts