• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2022 Six Nations] Italy vs Scotland (12/03/22)

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
Screenshot 2022-03-07 at 11.15.35.png

Ever wanting to be optimistic it goes without saying how much Scotland need to turn it around this Saturday, and Italy will be desperate to stop us. A few injury troubles for the dark blues, one wonders if Hastings is available to come in at 10 or if Kinghorn will be given a start. Russell hasn't taken that next step of being able to change his game at international level when the opposition have worked him out.

Big game for everyone ahead.

Scotland cannot score more than 20 points against a well drilled defence with their centre pairing limiting the impact of a great backline. A weaker Italian pack probably raises that to 30 points and that would be plenty for Scotland, but any slight slip and this is an opportunity for Italy. Although they have arguably shown far less in attack themselves than last year.

Despite Scotland not looking that good in either of their last two games, Italy haven't played well at all and I don't expect them to pose Scotland too much trouble.

Scotland cannot score more than 20 points against a well drilled defence with their centre pairing limiting the impact of a great backline. A weaker Italian pack probably raises that to 30 points and that would be plenty for Scotland, but any slight slip and this is an opportunity for Italy. Although they have arguably shown far less in attack themselves than last year.
Think we can throw Bennet into the mix this time? He seems to be a bigger carry than Tuipolotu

Despite Scotland not looking that good in either of their last two games, Italy haven't played well at all and I don't expect them to pose Scotland too much trouble.
As ever I'll be rooting for Italy, so I hope Bennett is nowhere near the starting XV. :p

Hastings and Thompson, so three fly halves? Methinks the Townsend / Finn relationship is as fraught as ever.

I'd be fizzling if I was Kinghorn. Make him switch from being an excellent fullback to being flyhalf (where he is doing okay), then parachute in two guys (including a younger one) ahead of him. Hastings at 12 is a reasonable shout. He's got to try something as there arent many competitive fixtures before the RWC and Scotland are looking a little lost.

Think/hope Tuipolotu will come good, and although Harris isn't a particularly exciting 13 he's solid enough.
I'd be fizzling if I was Kinghorn. Make him switch from being an excellent fullback to being flyhalf (where he is doing okay), then parachute in two guys (including a younger one) ahead of him. Hastings at 12 is a reasonable shout. He's got to try something as there arent many competitive fixtures before the RWC and Scotland are looking a little lost.
I really don't like the efforts to play him at 10, but realistically he's not getting near 15 until Hogg retires and he's not much cop on the wing so I can see the appeal for him.

I really don't like the efforts to play him at 10, but realistically he's not getting near 15 until Hogg retires and he's not much cop on the wing so I can see the appeal for him.
You would hope that it was a mutual decision after an honest conversation. Explain to him that he's unlikely to be first choice in the back 3 for a while and he has the choice to switch to FH. If he's been told to do it, then that's poor man-management.

I don't know a huge amount about Kinghorn but just looking at him on paper; the distribution and kicking ability of a 10, athletic and dangerous enough to play in the back three, 6'4 and 107kg... seems like he couldn't be more perfect to fill that 12 slot.

It's a funny situation with Kinghorn he is playing 10 at Edinburgh (for a wee while I think) although there was another 10 there who picked up a cap last year maybe (a saffer I believe). Anyway he seems to now be the choice 10.

I've always been a bit underwhelmed by him although not because he does a lot wrong, the long rangey run he has is not the most dynamic in tight play he needs a bit of room to open up the taps.

Somebody somewhere said that it seems like Finn doesn't want to pass to Tuipolotu and that Johnson fitted Russell's flat pass play better (they have more minutes together in fairness). I wouldn't be inclined to agree particularly against France.

Kinghorn at 12 is a very interesting idea, without wanting to turn all Gatland could he offer us something in the Jamie Roberts mould? His tackling may be an issue it's not been a big strong point but then defending in the midfield is different to the wing.

Underwhelmed is exactly how I would describe it as well. I'm not sure how many times he's played at 10 but every time I've seen him there he's looked like he's playing out of position and just filling in at 10.

I don't know a huge amount about Kinghorn but just looking at him on paper; the distribution and kicking ability of a 10, athletic and dangerous enough to play in the back three, 6'4 and 107kg... seems like he couldn't be more perfect to fill that 12 slot.

You'd think right. I have never been impressed with Kinghorn's tackling or defence in general. He has decent gas and good hands but just seems to lack the physicality for someone of his height and weight. I'd have more faith in wee Darcy putting his body on the line.

Jaco van der Walt was the Edinburgh 10 I couldn't remember, looking down the Edinburgh list I noticed James Lang is listed as a 10 and he is in the squad this week I believe.

I think Kyle Steyn has to be in with a shout for this one. Although not the same size as Duhan, he is probably the best like for like replacement and can also cover outside centre if needed. Finn didn't play for Racing last weekend and I have a feeling he'll miss this one. I'd also give Bennett a go instead of Harris at 13.

Hogg, Graham, Bennett, Tuipulotu, Steyn, Hastings, Price
Darge, M Fagerson (if injured then Bayliss), Watson, Gray, Gilchrist, Schoeman, McInally, Z Fagerson.

Latest posts