• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2022 Six Nations - Predicted Table

OllyM97

Academy Player
Here we go again, time to leave myself open to ridicule in two months time when I've got it all wrong!.
1. France - Grand Slam
2. Ireland
3. England
4. Scotland
5. Wales
6. Italy

I've genuinely not got a clue this year. I'm fairly confident about positions 1 and 6 but 2,3,4 and 5 is a lottery. France and Ireland look the two best sides to me.

I've got France as favourites, they've got the ideal schedule and the best squad and depth. Always vulnerable away from home but I don't see them losing in Cardiff or Edinburgh, although I think the latter game will be tricky. The GS is theirs to blow.

Ireland have to go to Paris and Twickenham which is difficult but I can see them sneaking a win in one of those games.

England are re-building and have an inexperienced side and a new back division so whilst I think we'll be very competitive, I don't see us finishing in the top two.

Scotland could finish higher than 4th but I think trips to Dublin and Cardiff could be their downfall.

Wales are injury ravaged in the forwards, losing AWJ for the first few rounds is a massive blow. Without Owens, Faletau and Tipuric as well i just don't think they will get parity up front. They have some good backs but how much ball will they get?. England and Ireland away without a competitive 8 could be painful, not to mention France at home.

Sadly I don't see Italy winning a game again this year unless Scotland or Wales have an absolute stinker of a 6N, possible but unlikely.

1+ 2 +6 are fair on form.
But it's 6 N so bar 6 , any formation from 1 to 5 will happen and change as weeks go by.
My only prediction no grand slam.

Here we go again, time to leave myself open to ridicule in two months time when I've got it all wrong!.
1. France - Grand Slam
2. Ireland
3. England
4. Scotland
5. Wales
6. Italy

I've genuinely not got a clue this year. I'm fairly confident about positions 1 and 6 but 2,3,4 and 5 is a lottery. France and Ireland look the two best sides to me.

I've got France as favourites, they've got the ideal schedule and the best squad and depth. Always vulnerable away from home but I don't see them losing in Cardiff or Edinburgh, although I think the latter game will be tricky. The GS is theirs to blow.

Ireland have to go to Paris and Twickenham which is difficult but I can see them sneaking a win in one of those games.

England are re-building and have an inexperienced side and a new back division so whilst I think we'll be very competitive, I don't see us finishing in the top two.

Scotland could finish higher than 4th but I think trips to Dublin and Cardiff could be their downfall.

Wales are injury ravaged in the forwards, losing AWJ for the first few rounds is a massive blow. Without Owens, Faletau and Tipuric as well i just don't think they will get parity up front. They have some good backs but how much ball will they get?. England and Ireland away without a competitive 8 could be painful, not to mention France at home.

Sadly I don't see Italy winning a game again this year unless Scotland or Wales have an absolute stinker of a 6N, possible but unlikely.
Very well argued sir. I differ in that I expect a major sub-par French performance in at least one game. Which is probably the case in each of the last 50 years barring the Laporte years. So:

1. Ireland (4 wins)
2. France
3. England
4. Wales
5. Scotland (always screw up in Cardiff it seems)
6. Italy

I particularly favour Ireland this year as I think they are good enough now in attack to get winning BPs, so can keep pace in the standings with the more flamboyant French.

Just to be different and throw some (shortlived) Scottish optimism out there....

1. Ireland (Because I don't think Scotland can beat them this year)
2. France (Because Scotland can beat them)
3. Scotland
4.Wales
5. England
6. Italy

4&5 could easily be the other way around, both teams hit hard by injury disruption. For me it is well within Scotlands ability to get to 2nd, the challenge is delivering consistently in a tournament. Ireland will be our Everest this year no doubt.

1. Ireland
2. France
3. England
4. Scotland
5. Wales
6. Italy

As last year showed though, form could mean nothing. I think Ireland will edge it as France still haven't got over their habit of having at least 1 mind-crunchingly stupid moment in at least 1 of the games that ends up costing them. I think in every game they will go into they will be favourites but I still haven't seen that consistently good decision making and discipline. France gonna France.

Ireland have shown good form and have the ability to string a tournament together

England could finish anywhere between 1st and 5th with equal probability IMO. Farrell being out and a proper 15 do go some way to helping and if we actually stay on top of our discipline for a change, we could do very well. On the flip side, we could fall to pieces and give away tons of stupid penalties. We already have a reputation for giving away penalties so the constant pushing the boundaries now seems like a stupid tactic, you do that while you can get away with it, not while you are being pinged off the park. Ultimately playing more conservatively and within the rules and not giving away penalties could help us far more than it hurts us.

Scotland have looked like improving and, whilst they can beat anyone on their day, they've not been able to string a tournaments worth of "their days" together. They have been improving but I think Cardiff and Dublin will be too much, especially if England beat them. Next year they could be contenders if they continue improving but I don't think this year.

Wales at club level have been dire and last year weren't that good, probably the jammiest 6N I've ever seen. they do have a habit of somehow putting it all together for the 6N but there really isn't anything to go by form wise to indicate that should be what will happen.

Italy are Italy.

I might be missing something... but I actually don't know where the extreme hype around France is coming from? All the podcasts are creaming themselves over them currently too.

They lost to England and then Scotland at home last year in the 6N, whilst very narrowly beating Wales at home in the last minute. Played some nice rugby and beat a weakened-ish Ireland at home with no crowd and a bit of an odd time with lockdowns and COVID (still a nice win nevertheless).

In the Summer they lost 2-1 to an average Australia side.

In the Autumn they had a fantastic win over the AB's, but a really scrappy game against Argentina who were at the end of a very long season abroad and an average win over Georgia.

Is the hype really that justified? I get their style of play is lovely to watch. But I'm still not convinced they can play like they did against the AB's consistently and win like that, they certainly haven't proven it thus far. Time will tell.

I think they'll win or come second, but it's rare we talk about predicting Grand Slams and I'm seeing a lot of it regarding France on podcasts and stuff (not necessarily saying on here)

Last edited:
I think it's their quality of players. Apart from the second row and backrow (and they really play a back five in the pack with Willemse the only guy playing strictly to the number on his back) where they aren't exactly weak you could argue that they're the strongest team in every other area of the pitch and definitely top two.

Front row - probably second behind Ireland but they're really not far off.
Halfbacks - easily the best and still in the conversation with their second choice guys.
Centres - Again you're probably picking between them and us here.
Back three - A bit of a challenge from Scotland and some people will have arguments for Wales but France are the best.

They impressively lost two games last season when they had possession with the clock in the red, it's a very positive year if they don't do that.... Now that's hardly an endorsement but it's something that should become less likely with familiarity and it's worth mentioning that they were still a bit shambolic until autumn 2020 so it's still a young project.

I think it's their quality of players. Apart from the second row and backrow (and they really play a back five in the pack with Willemse the only guy playing strictly to the number on his back) where they aren't exactly weak you could argue that they're the strongest team in every other area of the pitch and definitely top two.

Front row - probably second behind Ireland but they're really not far off.
Halfbacks - easily the best and still in the conversation with their second choice guys.
Centres - Again you're probably picking between them and us here.
Back three - A bit of a challenge from Scotland and some people will have arguments for Wales but France are the best.

They impressively lost two games last season when they had possession with the clock in the red, it's a very positive year if they don't do that.... Now that's hardly an endorsement but it's something that should become less likely with familiarity and it's worth mentioning that they were still a bit shambolic until autumn 2020 so it's still a young project.

I do agree in terms of their player pool & quality.

I think if they won the series in Australia (Like Ire and Eng have done in recent memory), and thrashed Argentina I'd be a bit more comfortable with the Grand Slam label for them but I think that there are still signs of inconsistency.

I think 1-4 are more or less equal on talent so it's going to come down to luck of the draw. I noticed that if you have Italy away you get three away matches and if you have them at home you get three home matches. It makes things fair.
1. France- Have to go away to Wales which will be a struggle. Could see them collapsing in Scotland though.
2. England- Get to host Ireland and Wales.
3. Ireland- Have to go to France and England, bad luck.
4. Wales- Two of their home matches are games I think they'd win away. Have a chance to steal a win hosting France. Flip the fixtures and they might win.
5. Scotland- by default
6. Italy- gonna get stomped

I might be missing something... but I actually don't know where the extreme hype around France is coming from? All the podcasts are creaming themselves over them currently too.

They lost to England and then Scotland at home last year in the 6N, whilst very narrowly beating Wales at home in the last minute. Played some nice rugby and beat a weakened-ish Ireland at home with no crowd and a bit of an odd time with lockdowns and COVID (still a nice win nevertheless).

In the Summer they lost 2-1 to an average Australia side.

In the Autumn they had a fantastic win over the AB's, but a really scrappy game against Argentina who were at the end of a very long season abroad and an average win over Georgia.

Is the hype really that justified? I get their style of play is lovely to watch. But I'm still not convinced they can play like they did against the AB's consistently and win like that, they certainly haven't proven it thus far. Time will tell.

I think they'll win or come second, but it's rare we talk about predicting Grand Slams and I'm seeing a lot of it regarding France on podcasts and stuff (not necessarily saying on here)
I think the fixture list is quite kind to them this year, getting to bed themselves in with a home game against Italy before having home games against England and Ireland, who the bookies have as their big championship rivals.

I do agree in terms of their player pool & quality.

I think if they won the series in Australia (Like Ire and Eng have done in recent memory), and thrashed Argentina I'd be a bit more comfortable with the Grand Slam label for them but I think that there are still signs of inconsistency.
Don't forget that the squad they sent to Australia was a B/C team with very few of their frontline players involved. They were still good enough to push the best Australia has to offer pretty close.

No idea on England but I'd like to hope we'll be better than last year which isn't saying much.

I'll go:

1. France
2. England
3. Ireland
4. Scotland
5. Wales
6. Italy

No grand slam.

France still lack some consistency, but they are still a huge improvement on previous years. Ireland look to have the most settled squad and had a very good autumn. England might actually be an improvement now that EJ's hand has been forced by injuries. Scotland are another team who seem to have settled. Can they be consistent enough to challenge? Wales on form and squad disruption should struggle, but if they get a run going who knows? Italy just need to show they can compete for 80 minutes.

I'll go:

Ireland
France
England
Scotland
Wales
Italy

Despite France being so unpredictable I can't see past them for the ***le this year. They have the best half back pairing, a strong pack and excellent backs. England and Ireland could finish in either order followed by Scotland Wales and Italy. If England can get past Scotland first game up they can finish 2nd. Bold prediction or way off.

France
England
Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Italy

Is it time they switched the fixture list, i mean one year we have Wales and Ireland away and the next home, surely they could had alot more to make it random each year.

I mean it cant be hard to do but the fixtures have an impact each year and they are so limited

Maybe needs a different thread.

But

As a prediction, im think we can win against Scotland with the team we put out.
Wales and Ireland at home we have the advantage
And it comes down to frace away...screw italy they are a speed bump that only matters if we get injuries.

England
Ireland
France
Scotland
Wales

Italy

France (4-1)
Ireland (3-2)
England (3-2)
Wales (3-2)
Scotland (2-3)
Italy (0-5)

I think France will win it but somehow mange to lose one game. I'm not guessing the rest other than Italy last.

Reality is no other team has a player like Dupont who could quite honestly win a match due to their own individual brilliance. He also has the pack and players outside him to capitalise on those moments. If France were to fix their defensive discipline they'd be one of strongest teams in Rugby Union history. That's pretty much why they are highly rated if all teams played their best they'd win and its hard to looks past them in any individual one on ones. However you just know they'll lose a match somehow.

Yeh France for me as well being post Lions year and 3 games as home including v England and Ireland.

Latest posts