• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2022 Six Nations] Scotland vs England (05/02/22)

Isn't that his point? That there isn't any evidence.
Well, okay - in which case it's a null point.
If there's no evidence to support a claim that isn't being made, then... it's kinda pointless and a waste of time.

Well, okay - in which case it's a null point.
If there's no evidence to support a claim that isn't being made, then... it's kinda pointless and a waste of time.
I'm confused, you are agreeing with me but arguing about it.

Jones is often mooted as a tactical genius and a lot of what he does is claimed that 'he know better than us' when reality proves otherwise.

I'm confused, you are agreeing with me but arguing about it.

Jones is often mooted as a tactical genius and a lot of what he does is claimed that 'he know better than us' when reality proves otherwise.
I don't believe that Jones "is often mooted as a tactical genius".
That said - he really does know better than any of us here - but that's a spectacularly low bar for a professional coach to pass - significantly lower than the bar set by a philosophy student when debating a pre-eminent immunologist.

Aside from 1 match for Japan against South Africa, and some people getting carried away after 1 match for England against New Zealand.

Last edited:
In my personal opinion, any rugby coach that cannot consistently get England to finish in the top 2 in the 6N and to RWC finals needs replacing, pronto. EJ is borderline for me, he had them playing well in the RWC but then SA just had an inspired final. If he gets top2 in this 6N I'd keep him. If they are below that I'd bin him. I certainly wouldn't have the position of "he is our man for 2023 regardless" but I imagine that will be the English union's position and that contractual matters are probably central to that.

I don't believe that Jones "is often mooted as a tactical genius".
That said - he really does know better than any of us here - but that's a spectacularly low bar for a professional coach to pass - significantly lower than the bar set by a philosophy student when debating a pre-eminent immunologist.

Aside from 1 match for Japan against South Africa, and some people getting carried away after 1 match for England against New Zealand.
I've often heard of him referred to as that though. Agree with your post, we are on the same page.

The issue is not that we think we know more than Eddie, it's that Eddie thinks he knows more than Eddie.

I've often heard of him referred to as that though. Agree with your post, we are on the same page.
TBH I've only heard of him being mooted as a tactical genius by people refuting the claim - I don't recall seeing it actually claimed, aside from those 2 individual occasions when people got carried away.

I think it's a straw man argument, used by those looking for a reason to do him down.

TBH, I don't think there's anyone in rugby Id describe as a tactical genius - but it's easy enough to appear that way for a single match, if you're wiling to focus on 1 match at the expense of the other 10 or so played that year.

The issue is not that we think we know more than Eddie, it's that Eddie thinks he knows more than Eddie.
Which is projection and unknowable - and highly, highly unlikely. You simply don't spend the length of time he has in the positions he's held, if you're unaware of your strengths and weaknesses.
I think he overthinks things, and gets caught up in hypotheticals; but that's not the same thing.

All throws to 1 in the lineout suffer at least one of the following:
not straight*
not 5*
knocked on*
taken by opposing 1
forward pass back to hooker*
getting bundled into touch
*Admittedly the ref may not notice
France just tried it; option 6, possibly option 5 first.

Latest posts