• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2022 Six Nations] Scotland vs France (26/02/22)

When France play like that you have to love them. No shame in being well beaten by the current top NH side.
Darge played very well on his debut, but am I alone in thinking Russell is over rated? He appears just as likely to throw an intercept pass or get himself carded than win the game with a piece of brilliance.
I don't see Wales or England preventing a well deserved GS for France.

When France play like that you have to love them. No shame in being well beaten by the current top NH side.
Darge played very well on his debut, but am I alone in thinking Russell is over rated? He appears just as likely to throw an intercept pass or get himself carded than win the game with a piece of brilliance.
I don't see Wales or England preventing a well deserved GS for France.
Fair comments. I think Russell is needing a bit more challenge for the 10 spot, although scotlands attack I think needs a little tweak as well it's just not incisive enough. That said Mark Bennet had a decent game shame he's been plagued by injury.

I knew nothing of Darge apart from the hype beforehand, fair play to the young lad massive game today.

I knew nothing of Darge apart from the hype beforehand, fair play to the young lad massive game today.
Same, had never even heard of him before today but he was excellent
Between him, Watson and Ritchie Scotland have the flanks shored up for a long long time

Either France are very good, or Scotland have regressed by a decade. (Their U20s certainly don't look very promising either).

The missed Hogg try was such a big moment in the game, Scotland had France under the pump at that point. If that is a try it could've been a different game. Would've been interesting to see how the French team reacted to that. Instead they got away with one, got a try soon after then it was pretty straight forward after that. They got the bounce of the rugby ball today but they also did look very impressive at times, a better team would have punished them though as they gave up plenty of opportunities. Next two games will be interesting for them, still think they'll lose one.

I'm interested in whether Scotland fans think Townsend is the right person to take them forward now. They have a decent highlight reel under him but just can't seem to crack that string those performances together.
Don't like to single out players, but the drop in quality from Watson to Haining is massive. Says a lot that a guy making his first start seemed head and shoulders above the rest of the Scotland pack, not just that Darge is looking very good but the rest weren't great.

I'm interested in whether Scotland fans think Townsend is the right person to take them forward now. They have a decent highlight reel under him but just can't seem to crack that string those performances together.
Don't like to single out players, but the drop in quality from Watson to Haining is massive. Says a lot that a guy making his first start seemed head and shoulders above the rest of the Scotland pack, not just that Darge is looking very good but the rest weren't great.

In terms of the back row I think Mish is knackered and needs a long rest. He obviously went on the Lions tour and puts his body through so much week in week out (he's one of Scotland's main ball carriers and always comes out near top of the tackling stats). For me the RWC backrow has to be 6. Ritchie 7. Watson/Darge 8. Fagerson/Dempsey (if he wants to play for Scotland). We're missing Ritchie badly and missed Matt Fagerson yesterday. Haining and Bradbury are too much of a step down and not nearly as effective at the breakdown.

I think we have issues in the second row. J Gray is a tackle robot but can't really carry. Gilchrist is solid enough but nothing more. Scott Cummings did really well last year but isn't getting a look in this year for some reason. Maybe time to blood one or two of our young locks.

I was hoping Scotland would start to beat/compete with Wales and Ireland after Gatland and Schmidt left but it hasn't happened and that is on Townsend. Too late to make a change now but if we get pumped by Ireland and SA at the RWC then I'd make a change after that. I'd also take the captaincy off Hogg and give it to Ritchie. I've never been comfortable with Hogg at FB being captain. I don't see that happening until Toonie goes however.

How could he? He's capped by Australia and was born in Australia so can't change, can he?

The new rule that allows former All Blacks to now play for Tonga. If you haven't been capped for three years and have parental/grandparental heritage with another country then you can switch allegiances. Dempsey now plays for Glasgow, has a Scottish grandparent and hasn't been capped for Aus for 2.5 years. Don't shoot the messenger!

Last edited:
The new rule that former All Blacks to now play for Tonga. If you haven't been capped for three years and have parental/grandparental heritage then you can switch to another country. Dempsey now plays for Glasgow, has a Scottish grandparent and hasn't been capped for Aus for 2.5 years. Don't shoot the messenger!
Oh wow, I thought it was only if the player themselves was born there. Dempsey would be a great player for Scotland to have then.

Oh wow, I thought it was only if the player themselves was born there. Dempsey would be a great player for Scotland to have then.

Yeah Dempsey has been very impressive for Glasgow. He's got that grunt and go forward that the Scotland pack badly needs. A future back row of 6. Ritchie 7. Darge and 8. Dempsey wouldn't be too shabby.

It's an interesting subject and I've wondered if Townsend is now at the end of his most recent incarnation. It took a while for him to adapt when he took over and initially scotland went backwards a bit from Cotter.

The results in Scotland terms under him are pretty respectable, he had to change his ways once or twice before we starter to turn a corner and become genuinely competitive. Then the defence was really holding us back and Steve Tandy last year was a godsend.
I think this 6N is the one that is going to be the one that stings because we haven't hit our potential based on previous performance (genuine potential not hyped). In some ways it's giving prior warning for next years WC, and there is another round of Autumn games and the 2023 6N to come (this time next year I will really be wanting to see something special but we all know how that can end up!).

I would agree with the above Hogg has been a decent captain but I felt a change is needed also. Richie is a good shout I think the forwards need to be built round him.

White at 9 and Hastings needs to come back online at 10/12 along with Redpath. We need options in there. Bennet and Harris will offer options also.

Something makes me feel like scotland have got lethargic mentally in the current way they play, it's just not fluid and cohesive enough.

The question about Townsend and whether he is the right man for the job. Are Scotland underachieving with the players they have?, if that is the case then I would look at the coach. Personally I don't think they are. They don't have the quality, strength or depth to consistently beat better teams. How many Scotland players would get into the France, Ireland, England, Wales 15 if everyone is available?, not that many. It is what it is, they are not a bad team but they don't quite have what it takes to become a top team. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned about the u20's not looking too promising either, that is true. I'm sure there is someone doing extra shifts at Murrayfield desperately looking for Scottish grannies.

France peaking too early. Penaud will be another Johnny come lately wing by next World Cup.

Latest posts