• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2022 Six Nations] Wales vs Scotland (12/02/22)

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
Screenshot 2022-02-09 at 09.14.23.png

Scotland team to be announced Thursday 12:45. The big talking point for is who replaces Ritchie, and also whether Redpath gets a look in at 12. Otherwise for me the starting 15 is not needing much changed...

I always favour Scotland on paper for this in the Finn era and they always mess up in Wales. I see history repeating if Wales put up another solid defensive effort. As I've said before, I dont like Scotland offensively at centre (although I'm not sure who I have liked internationally at centre over the past 5 years.... Aki / Ringrose? Vakatawa / Fikou, Am / De Allende? The best of a middling bunch). You can only expect Finn to conjur up such magic intermittently and for as defence to screw up like England's penalty try. It cannot be relied upon to dig Scotland out of holes.

It is going to depend a lot on the Welsh forwards I think, without some of the big names Scotland may be able to boss things about this time. We have 2 very good props and some industrious back rowers so might not be so impossible who knows...

The Finn factor is one of those where it looks inspired when it comes off but can be frustrating if not. Sometimes it is chancing your arm enough to give things a go are when the magic happens (there is also a back 3 who can cause mayhem to partner it). For me it wasn't really the pen try that matters, the point was that Scotland went from ~halfway to the 22 in seconds with 2 fantastic attacking kicks and a bit of VDM bulldozing, all at a speed that threw England into disarray. The pen try was a bonus because not many would have predicted the deliberate knock on from LCD, a catch, miss or knock-on was more likely so could have well been a scrum or lineout.

Can't see Wales making too many changes. Adams will be going back to wing with McNicholl dropping out, Hallholo will be then 12 if fit. Got the suspicion that Moriarty will start 6 and maybe Lake get's a start at hooker?

Since Scotland won their last Six Nations match in Wales I'm expecting a decent win for Scotland this week

Since Scotland won their last Six Nations match in Wales I'm expecting a decent win for Scotland this week

Was that not in an empty Parc y Scarlets? Winning at a packed Millenium is the monkey Scotland need to get off their backs. No reason why they shouldn't be able to do it after breaking the Paris and Twickers hoodoos last year.

Was that not in an empty Parc y Scarlets? Winning at a packed Millenium is the monkey Scotland need to get off their backs. No reason why they shouldn't be able to do it after breaking the Paris and Twickers hoodoos last year.
Doesn't matter, a win is a win

Will you make the same argument next year when Scotland return to Twickenham? Even though England has won 1 in 5 years

Doesn't matter, a win is a win

Will you make the same argument next year when Scotland return to Twickenham? Even though England has won 1 in 5 years

With all due respect to England a packed Principality is like a 16th man for Wales and our record in that stadium is terrible. One of Scotland's problems in recent years has been winning away from home in hostile environments and we have an opportunity to get a long awaited win in front of a full Principality this weekend.

Last edited:
If Wales don't show massive improvements from their display v Ireland I fully expect Scotland to win and win well, regardless of the Principality factor.

I've resigned myself to the reality that our lineout will be poor again. It's an area of Scottish strength and we just don't have the throwers to compete. But my hope is that we can improve at the breakdown, in defense and in attack this weekend.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing the likes of Roberts/Lake at 2, Brown at 3, a different combo at lock, Moriarty and Ratti in the backrow & Haloholo in the centre. I'd like someone other than Biggar at 10, but that's unlikely to happen when he's captain.

The reality is likely a few less changes, probably similar to what Mike mentioned above, with Pivac hoping for a reaction from the players.

Not convinced we'll see enough of one to win though.

Walesonline reporting a likely backrow of Jack Morgan, Basham, Moriarty.

Walesonline reporting a likely backrow of Jack Morgan, Basham, Moriarty.
Not sure about that to be honest. But they can't be as bad as last week right?........................
If Wainright is getting dropped I don't see how Ratti doesn't get a chance.

Last edited:
Scotland team confirmed:

15. Stuart Hogg - Exeter Chiefs - (Captain)
14. Darcy Graham - Edinburgh Rugby
13. Chris Harris – Gloucester Rugby
12. Sione Tuipulotu - Glasgow Warriors
11. Duhan van der Merwe - Worcester Warriors
10. Finn Russell – Racing 92 - (Vice-Captain)
9. Ali Price – Glasgow Warriors

1. Pierre Schoeman - Edinburgh Rugby
2. Stuart McInally - Edinburgh Rugby
3. WP Nel - Edinburgh Rugby
4. Jonny Gray – Exeter Chiefs
5. Grant Gilchrist - Edinburgh Rugby - (Vice-Captain)
6. Sam Skinner - Exeter Chiefs
7. Hamish Watson - Edinburgh Rugby
8. Matt Fagerson - Glasgow Warriors

Replacements:
16. George Turner - Glasgow Warriors
17. Rory Sutherland - Worcester Warriors
18. Zander Fagerson - Glasgow Warriors
19. Magnus Bradbury - Edinburgh Rugby
20. Rory Darge – Glasgow Warriors
21. Ben White - London Irish
22. Blair Kinghorn - Edinburgh Rugby
23. Cameron Redpath - Bath Rugby

Ahead of schedule with the team, excellent!

All Edinburgh front row, I quite like this and McInally is a bit of a handful in the loose. The bench looks strong for Scotland too, Redpath back in the mix.

Interesting move swapping the front row in its entirety

Interesting move swapping the front row in its entirety

Toonie doing a Rassie.

I do like the look of the bench more so than last week. Hope Redpath and Darge get an opportunity to shine. Thought Skinner did well when he came on last week and will add beef to the backrow.

Wonder if he is trying to get an idea exactly where the best form is, or spreading the load amongst 1-3 so that everyone is game fit.

France in round 3 for Scotland so will need the best performing pack.

Latest posts