• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2022 Six Nations] Wales vs Scotland (12/02/22)

It's not a mentality thing. It's just stating facts. I think the reason why we lack depth in certain areas compared to others is a bit more complex than that.

What would you suggest when everyone is fit? Just play players we know aren't as good as the people ahead of them? The aim should be to generally raise the standard across the board. As I say, the fact the Moriarty walked back in the side having barely played any rugby over the last year or so says it all.
Where is Shane Lewis-Hughes? And exactly how does Priestland deserve a place in the squad but not Jarrod Evans? How are either Scarlets scrum-halves better than Rhys Webb? I could go on.

Where is Shane Lewis-Hughes? And exactly how does Priestland deserve a place in the squad but not Jarrod Evans? How are either Scarlets scrum-halves better than Rhys Webb? I could go on.

SLH only recently returned from injury and unlike Moriarty or Faletau doesn't have that track record yet. He's looked good though in the couple of games he's played for Cardiff since returning, and could slot into the Welsh backrow nicely alongside Basham.

Agree on Jarrod Evans. I'd personally be giving him the keys at 10 and give him a run as we build towards the WC. Biggar had a fine game v Scotland in what was an arm wrestle, but I don't think we're going anywhere with him at 10. Jarrod ticks all the boxes offensively, he has good feet, excellent passing and good short kicking game. He just needs time to prove he can manage games.

Not sure about Webb though. Past it imo. Davies and Hardy aren't setting the world alight atm, but Webb is just too slow at the ruck, and has lost a yard of pace. He still has the nose for the line though.

I really like SLH but even his biggest fan would admit that he's not at Navidi's level yet. By all accounts he sounds like he has a brilliant attitude and is a beast in training but he's still young and inexperienced. One for the future though for sure but he's had a nightmare last year or so from injury anyway so it's a moot point really

I agree on Jarrod Evans but that's a Pivac thing. He doesn't like him. Even though I'm a big Evans fan if the question is who's the best 10 to win us our next game I'd still probably go Bigs but we should be playing Evans more as he's the better fit moving forward.

Rhys Webb is past it at the top level imo.

Questioning Biggar against Scotland too, love the fact that he is a warrior and fights, similar to AWJ, but I feel that makes him look better than he is. He lost us possession a number of times on Saturday and apart from his goal kicking I don't see what he offers as a starting 10 apart from experience.

Good to hear North and Faletau returning, I have faith the medical staff won't rush them back earlier than they can so whatever happens happens. Happy to see Tompkins and Watkin for now. Watkin was alright but made a clue of key kicking errors unfortunately, but he needs a run of games for Wales so I think it's the perfect opportunity to keep him in.

A fully fit and firing Anscombe is probably Privac's first choice, has the game management as well as being able to attack the line himself, whether he ever get's back to his pre injury form is another question though.
After next year's World Cup Wales might be in a bit of bother, there just doesn't seem to be enough high quality young players coming through that are able to compete at test level. (I suppose you could argue they haven't been given the chance)

I understand the criticism on Biggar but I actually think he's been one of our best players the last 2 games (not saying much against Ireland) he's taken the ball to the line well too. I wouldn't even think twice about playing him over Sheedy who I think Pivac overrates.

Anscombe needs more time as we still don't know if he can get back to where he was prior to injury. I'd actually like to see Costelow start being brought into training camps but I can understand why not. What I do not get is Pivacs insistence on not playing Evans or Lloyd. Lloyd looks like a genuinely special player and he's been ignored since he won his first cap.

A fully fit and firing Anscombe is probably Privac's first choice, has the game management as well as being able to attack the line himself, whether he ever get's back to his pre injury form is another question though.
After next year's World Cup Wales might be in a bit of bother, there just doesn't seem to be enough high quality young players coming through that are able to compete at test level. (I suppose you could argue they haven't been given the chance)
For me it's the lack of quality, young players coming through in certain areas, namely the front 5, that is a bit concerning.

But even then we've got Christ, Carter and Dafydd Jenkins as young locks coming through who are either involved in Wales squads or highly thought of.

There's no worries about back row or back 3 as I think we normally produce top talent in those areas and even 10 we've got Costelow and the Lloyd brothers coming through too. We'll never be short of a decent 9 or 2 either in my opinion. What I want is some top class, young props coming through but you don't really hit your prime in the front row until late 20s or even 30s and it's hard to get your foot in the door in those positions when you're young.

Biggar is a good player and can do a decent enough job at what ever you ask him to do. However I don't think he attacks the line well enough for what Privac wants to do.

Biggar is a good player and can do a decent enough job at what ever you ask him to do. However I don't think he attacks the line well enough for what Privac wants to do.
I agree and disagree with this. I mean, I know what you're saying, but then I think we're all confused with what Pivac really wants. As you and me have both said, Evans seems perfect for what we perceive to be Pivacs preferred style of play but yet can't even get into the squad. I don't even think Sheedy is particularly great at this and is just a Biggar light (without the defence) in that he's a good game manager but not particularly great at taking the ball to the line and he's not that pacey either. Costelow, Lloyd and Evans all seem to be 10s (or on Lloyds case a potential 10) who have all got this skill set yet none of them can get anywhere near the squads. Maybe we all need to revise what it is that Pivac really wants.

Also, apologies for the back to back posts but I'd also add that, and this is true for any fly half, you're going to look a lot better when your front 5 are dominating and you've got some go forward. When you're pack is getting smashed up like it was against Ireland you can be Mo'unga and look average.

I think Privac wants Evans attack but who has the game management, kicking and defence of Biggar. I think he is taking the safer option which I can understand at test level as Biggar can still do what's asked of in an attacking sense to degree but has also those other things to offer. Costelow is a talent but in that Scarlets Bristol game a few weeks ago he was run over a few times in defence.

Also, apologies for the back to back posts but I'd also add that, and this is true for any fly half, you're going to look a lot better when your front 5 are dominating and you've got some go forward. When you're pack is getting smashed up like it was against Ireland you can be Mo'unga and look average.
The Finn Factor? Or the Finn Effect maybe.

Actually slightly sick of the vitriol displayed on some platforms re Russel, the guy is a genius one minute and the antichrist the next in some peoples eyes. He didn't have a great game but he wasn't the reason Scotland lost, plenty penalties were coughed up to keep Wales within reach and kill our momentum.

Last edited:
The Finn Factor?
He's in an entire category of his own. Extremely talented player but is also one of the most frustrating players to watch. If I was Scottish I honestly think I'd rather he didn't play coz he's just as likely to lose you a game as he is win it, in my opinion.

He's in an entire category of his own. Extremely talented player but is also one of the most frustrating players to watch. If I was Scottish I honestly think I'd rather he didn't play coz he's just as likely to lose you a game as he is win it, in my opinion.
A special "Finn" shelf lol.

I hear you, maybe its the years and years of dull attack that affords us Scots some tolerance of the laddie.
I feel like Finn is on a long road ot maturity with his style, it is miles ahead of the early days. Yes there are some howlers but it almost comes down to the throw of the dice, he plays in a mindset that is so on the edge that I'm not sure it can really be switched on and off like a switch. Full game plans yes, but mid match I don't know.
On balance he is still on the right side for me, hes 29, in 2-3 years time we may have the Finn-ished (I had to) article I don't know. All nations build around their 10 which is probably why Scotland have the back 3 players at a level enviable by many, Finn utilises them all the time and they can finish moves in their sleep.

The yellow cards are a frustration, although I think a word in the ear would curb that.

It's rare to get everything in a 10, Sexton has grown to be one of the most well rounded, the balance between Biggar's solidity and Russell's flare (Smith is too soon to call).

Dare I say Biggar is the modern S Jones? Not flash but reliable?

There's also a perception issue to playstyle. If Finn 'loses' a game for Scotland that's seen as him being indulgent, and if he'd just taken 'the sensible option' (usually decided post-game) it would have been fine. If a more conservative 10 doesn't create opportunities you might get calls for them to be dropped, but it's not seen as a character flaw/lack of bravery etc.

There's also a perception issue to playstyle. If Finn 'loses' a game for Scotland that's seen as him being indulgent, and if he'd just taken 'the sensible option' (usually decided post-game) it would have been fine. If a more conservative 10 doesn't create opportunities you might get calls for them to be dropped, but it's not seen as a character flaw/lack of bravery etc.
Good observation. Harks back to the Dan Parks era where the guy had certain skills to do a job, but no pundit ever was brave enough to stick their neck out on TV and just call out the lack of passing to the centres. Was always just some loose flannel about "cant score tries".

Toonie needs to stop the midfield tombola and stick with Redpath and Harris from now on. Redpath is creative and has great hands and would take some of the pressure of Finn while maintaining Harris as the defensive linchpin.

Good observation. Harks back to the Dan Parks era where the guy had certain skills to do a job, but no pundit ever was brave enough to stick their neck out on TV and just call out the lack of passing to the centres. Was always just some loose flannel about "cant score tries".
In fairness to him passing to that backline was almost always a terrible option! The weekend was incredibly frustrating but still so much more enjoyable than the late 2000s!

In fairness to him passing to that backline was almost always a terrible option! The weekend was incredibly frustrating but still so much more enjoyable than the late 2000s!
Oh massively, we did at least have a realistic chance of being able to win it. On the bright side, we have managed to keep within 3 points of Wales in Cardiff which at one time would have been unheard of.
5 points after round 2 in the 6N isn't the end of the world either

Toonie needs to stop the midfield tombola and stick with Redpath and Harris from now on. Redpath is creative and has great hands and would take some of the pressure of Finn while maintaining Harris as the defensive linchpin.
Injury has played a bit of a part in this, although Harris is quite solidly in at 13 and rightly so in my book. He might not be flash in attack but he is fast enough to make up for it.

Redpath and Tuipoloto are going to be the 12s going forward, Sione did have a good game on Saturday the power game will be his offering.

Latest posts