• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2022 World Cup - Qatar

Crazy that they don't really tap into their massive Hispanic population. Barriers to enter the sport, but is there the real interest in "Soccer" ? Or is the real talent swallowed up by the other big sports And whether it is still seen as a sport for the women and played as little league sport?

Crazy that they don't really tap into their massive Hispanic population. Barriers to enter the sport, but is there the real interest in "Soccer" ? Or is the real talent swallowed up by the other big sports And whether it is still seen as a sport for the women and played as little league sport?
There's odds of problems to overcome, as concussion issues come to light you'd expect it to trickle down as a replacement for gridiron though.

More funding and reward for finding talent like their is in American college sports would help massively but I don't see how they could make it work. Soccer players mature far far earlier than any US sport, someone with Jude Bellingham's talent for example wouldn't break through until at least 19 or 20 in the NBA and I think NFL and MLB are tougher for young players. Clubs need to set up academies which goes against American sports setups.

I'd love to see the States make the step up they don't really compete in any global team sports apart from basketball which they dominate, England also need a main rival that doesn't care about beating the Dutch more! 😉

Speaking of, England arguable have the toughest possible route to the cup likely having to go through France, Portugal and Brazil who all have legitimately high hopes also. Potential poetic justice though, an opportunity to beat the three teams that beat their 02-06 golden generation!

On a political vein I wonder what Starmer does if we make the final, on one hand he's first leader of a political party I can remember who isn't pretending he likes football. On the other he made his name as a human rights lawyer.

Just something to ponder I guess.

On a political vein I wonder what Starmer does if we make the final, on one hand he's first leader of a political party I can remember who isn't pretending he likes football. On the other he made his name as a human rights lawyer.

Just something to ponder I guess.
Apparently he was watching the England game with Gordon Brown.

I think he will do what most politicians do. Keep "shtum" on Qatar because it's in Britain's interests because of the imported Gas.

England also need a main rival that doesn't care about beating the Dutch more! 😉
Well it would be great if ROI, Scotland, Wales and NI were any good. 😝
Speaking of, England arguable have the toughest possible route to the cup likely having to go through France, Portugal and Brazil who all have legitimately high hopes also. Potential poetic justice though, an opportunity to beat the three teams that beat their 02-06 golden generation!
Defo, which is good. The best litmus test on Saturday. I personally think France will beat us though until we have better defenders. Still looking forward to it regardless.

Good article. That's my concern with England when they start meeting top tier opposition- the midfield battle and gaining control. Side -side passing between Stones and Maguire at the back will not cut it.

Kane trying to be both number 10 and number 9 and reliance on Bellingham to get forward. France have a proper number 6 in Tchouameni aided by Rabiot and Griezmann to control and playmake in midfield. That's not even getting to Mbappé.

All talk of Walker taking care of Mbappé, but he's 2 months post groin op with one full 90 mins under his belt. Just wonder if that will take half a yard of his top speed. Or Deschamps just switches Dembélé with Mbappé and has him run at Shaw and Maguire.😱 Not that Dembélé is a slouch.

the midfield battle and gaining control.
Against a team like Fra i wouldnt go as far as saying i'd give em control but close enough. They have the fastest attack, probably by quite a margin. In order to exploit that speed you need space. Fighting on one portion of the field creates spaces on the rest. When you face people that fast you either a) match their speed, b) allow them to gain speed in a place where that doesnt hurt you or c) prevent them from reaching that speed. I dont think you can do a). Let them run to the corners if you must and reduce the spaces in the back and center. I dont see them hurting you with high balls (bit of a lottery but a calculated risk) but be carefull with low crosses to the back. Make sure Griezman doesnt get time to think.
If benzema plays you 'might' have a problem.

Their weaknesses are defense and goalie. Counter, crosses and shots from distance (and go for rebound). Avoid 1v1s vs varane.

Your best shot. Playing nice and dandy, trying to get control and possession, etc might confort the avg fan, but i dont see you getting a victory that way.

If benzema plays you 'might' have a problem.
He's injured and was out of the tournament from the beginning. Hence Giroud plays and Mbappé probably prefers to play with him.
Their weaknesses are defense and goalie. Counter, crosses and shots from distance (and go for rebound). Avoid 1v1s vs varane.

Your best shot. Playing nice and dandy, trying to get control and possession, etc might confort the avg fan, but i dont see you getting a victory that way.
Lloris plays for Spurs so we know a lot about him. He'll also know about Kane. Only thing is I would say is he is not as good with the ball at his feet.

They have more pace at the centre backs to cope, but full backs haven't been tested yet. Although Saka and Foden tend to play infield more rather than out and our wingers. So their full backs can tuck in more.

That's the problem with England against teams better on ball than them. They don't or can't control midfield as well - lacking a Modric type player to dictate the play and control the tempo - always been an issue for England . I doubt we'll see it as our midfield isn't built that way - skills wise. More to get the ball as quickly to front 3. But as we saw v USA can be contained.

**** go for a **** and I miss the goal.

Lovely goal though. Neymar magic. A proper number 10's goal.

Last edited:
It's been coming.

Modric on the turn and pass upfield to start the attack. 37 yo and after 116 mins. Simple pass and ageless player.

Croatia have won 1 game over 90 mins and that was v Canada and they are in the semis again of the WC.

Latest posts