• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2023-2024 transfers

Replaced by Brendan Owen (FB fro Jersey) - because one thing Bath (apparently) lack, is enough South Africans

I understand how this is good for him. Not convinced it is good for the saders, tho. Might be, dunno.

Ashton suggesting it's for coaching evolution on the RUW pod
But wouldn't that benefit him rather than the crusaders?
My questions are simple: how do the crusaders benefit from this? Arent there better options for FB than LH?

I like LH. Smart as ****, very good positionally, and a solid decision-maker. Not bad at anything. But at this point in his career, he is not brilliant at anything either. Brilliant as in top 5 in the world. Crusaders are a team that wants to be the best in the world and FB is a rather critical position. When i think of the best FBs nz has had in the last 5 years Leigh is not even close.

Yeah, I agree - LH is washed as a player, his speed has completely gone and he's incredibly injury prone (you've got to go back to 18/19 before you find a season he played >10 club games in). Obviously he still has a high level rugby skillset but without the athleticism, especially in Super Rugby, that won't count for as much
Unless he's planning a long term coaching career with Crusaders it's a very weird move

Yeah, I agree - LH is washed as a player, his speed has completely gone and he's incredibly injury prone (you've got to go back to 18/19 before you find a season he played >10 club games in). Obviously he still has a high level rugby skillset but without the athleticism, especially in Super Rugby, that won't count for as much
Unless he's planning a long term coaching career with Crusaders it's a very weird move
Could it not just be that he's agreed low wages if they give him the opportunity to start some coaching? One of the best teams in the world is a great place to learn.

Any young crusaders FBs could learn a lot from him by having him in the squad but surely his days as a top level player are done.

Honestly if Halfpenny can help with kickers it will be worth it for NZ and the saders

He's obviously not the player he was but he will have stuff he can pass on.

Also he's prob on peanuts since it will benefit his coaching desires if that's what he wants to go into.

Also from the crusaders pov it gives them a bit of cheap marketing for outside of NZ. (Also dudes attractive and will prob look good modeling the kit)

Honestly if Halfpenny can help with kickers it will be worth it for NZ and the saders

He's obviously not the player he was but he will have stuff he can pass on.
I have to declare ignorance and ask: what could he possibly bring to the table? He was good, sure, but he is no coach and Crusaders is arguably the greatest rugby academy on the planet.

I don't buy the marketing thing either but i'd love to hear what the Welsh posters have to say about this. You guys reckon more people will start watching the crusaders because of this?
And that's not even taking into account Wales'pop. Never had the numbers but i'm sure the odd argentine started following the crusaders more closely when Matera played there.

Cheap i can understand, and even that's a stretch.

This all sounds like a jab at him and that is not my intention. I just don't see the rationale behind the deal.

Andrew Conway has just announced his retirement on the advice of medical staff. Such a shame, he really is a thoroughbred player and I'll never forget that wondertry vs Toulon. One of the best to do it for us

IMG_4128.jpgGrayson out and Charlie Savala from edinburigh on loan for the rest of the season.

We've got the young lad Arden as a FH, then Furbank and Hutchinson who have covered there before. Didn't really need Grayson unless smith became an England regular. Though I'll be sad that a local lad has gone but he never really took his chances.

But wouldn't that benefit him rather than the crusaders?
My questions are simple: how do the crusaders benefit from this? Arent there better options for FB than LH?

I like LH. Smart as ****, very good positionally, and a solid decision-maker. Not bad at anything. But at this point in his career, he is not brilliant at anything either. Brilliant as in top 5 in the world. Crusaders are a team that wants to be the best in the world and FB is a rather critical position. When i think of the best FBs nz has had in the last 5 years Leigh is not even close.
I think you listed a lot of reasons why a team would want to have him around at the end of his career if he accepts his playing days are over. He might not play at all but he'll contribute more to the clubhouse than an NPC journeyman and he's a free kicking coach as well as a depth piece.

Mateo Carreras confirmed as leaving end of season but no destination mentioned...just "overseas"

Edit: Looks like its Bayonne

Last edited:

Jager confirme as expected and we've signed back two former academy players for short term cover, which is a bit different. I don't expect either to stick around beyond their deals, but they've both been around the block a bit.

Latest posts