• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2023 Six Nations] England vs Scotland - 4 February 2023

Genuine question.

How many of the Scottish back line are Scottish?

Surprised to see Richie Gray starting, especially over his brother. Is he just in good form?

Feels like he's been around forever.

Richie is the form Gray and his return has tightened up the lineout big time. Jonny has just come back from injury and played for Exeter at the weekend.

Pretty bold selection from Toonie who usually picks his favourites over the form players. Big calls to drop Price (from the 23) and Harris.

Tuipolotu and Jones play at centre for Glasgow and interchange between 12/13 throughout the game so it'll be interesting to see to what extent they replicate that for Scotland. Really please Luke Crosbie gets the nod at 7. Very physical, good tackler who can jackal. Anyone who saw him v Saracens will know what he's about. Tighthead is a concern. Nel can still scrummage but it's Berghan the penalty machine on the bench who is the concern. With that midfield it looks like Toonie is going on the offensive from the start with the option of bringing Harris on later to tighten up the defence. Pretty bold IMO.

Richie is the form Gray and his return has tightened up the lineout big time. Jonny has just come back from injury and played for Exeter at the weekend.

Pretty bold selection from Toonie who usually picks his favourites over the form players. Big calls to drop Price (from the 23) and Harris.

Tuipolotu and Jones play at centre for Glasgow and interchange between 12/13 throughout the game so it'll be interesting to see to what extent they replicate that for Scotland. Really please Luke Crosbie gets the nod at 7. Very physical, good tackler who can jackal. Anyone who saw him v Saracens will know what he's about. Tighthead is a concern. Nel can still scrummage but it's Berghan the penalty machine on the bench who is the concern. With that midfield it looks like Toonie is going on the offensive from the start with the option of bringing Harris on later to tighten up the defence. Pretty bold IMO.
Dont worry. Berghan will be scrummaging against another penalty machine Mako Vunipola.

Three starters and two on the bench - surprisingly high tbf to them
I looked at that earlier and reckoned that only Huw Jones was both born there and currently plays there. And even he went to Uni in RSA and has only just returned from Quins.

I looked at that earlier and reckoned that only Huw Jones was both born there and currently plays there. And even he went to Uni in RSA and has only just returned from Quins.

This is the most "English TRF poster criticising Scotland" post in the history of posting!

He's Scottish through and through, but he's well travelled so **** the SRU!

This is the most "English TRF poster criticising Scotland" post in the history of posting!
Not to mention "not currently playing there"(eg Finn Russel) as if that disqualifies them from being Scottish - which is the precise opposite of the usual argument against counting players who DO live in a country as qualifying them.

Starting

15. Freddie Steward

14. Max Malins

13. Joe Marchant

12. Owen Farrell (C)

11. Ollie Hassell-Collins

10. Marcus Smith

9. Jack van Poortvliet

1. Ellis Genge (VC)

2. Jamie George

3. Kyle Sinckler

4. Maro Itoje

5. Ollie Chessum

6. Lewis Ludlam

7. Ben Curry

8. Alex Dombrandt

Replacements

16. Jack Walker
17. Mako Vunipola
18. Dan Cole
19. Nick Isiekwe
20. Ben Earl
21. Ben Youngs
22. Ollie Lawrence
23. Anthony Watson

Over the moon for Ben,

Not overly keen on the backline with Farrell at 12 and Malins at 14, but have to keep reminding myself it's a new coaching setup. Farrell at 12 has worked in the past, no reason it couldn't again - plus Kelly was likely first choice 12 before his injury.

Some real impact on the bench with Earl, Lawrence and Watson

Genuine question.

How many of the Scottish back line are Scottish?
Depends how you define Scottish.

At least 5 of the 7 have Scots blood, whilst Huw Jones was born here (no idea re his parentage). So, every single one but Duhan, potentially.

I like it. No lock at 6 like a lot suggested. I don't love Faz at 12 but given the injuries I understand it. Malins on the wing the only one that I'd really want to change, but it depends a bit on how he gets used. If he is going to be used as an extra distributor and it works out then crack on I suppose.

Fairly optimistic about this.

I suppose the midfield injuries have forced theor hands a bit with Farrell at 12, and how much influence Evans has with Smith starting and how different they may play post Jones. They've surely not had the time to do anything radical coupled with injuries.

Excited for it, with all the off field stuff that's been going on the last few weeks be nice just to watch some rugby. Scotland look good too, their backs have a more settled and balanced look about them.

I'm not sold on Malins but I'm not sure why. He's rapid and has good hands. Has been one of the top try scorers for Saracens, and his time at Bristol. Scored some absolute wonderful solo scores. Why is he not an exciting pick...

I'm not sold on Malins but I'm not sure why. He's rapid and has good hands. Has been one of the top try scorers for Saracens, and his time at Bristol. Scored some absolute wonderful solo scores. Why is he not an exciting pick...
Probably the Sarries effect - they're so dominant atm that their good players you kind of feel like "...yeah, you should be good"
Takes the shine off them a bit - i feel the same way about Earl, who is having a massive season but I'm just a bit like "....are you just a flat track bully as part of a dominant team?"

Probably the Sarries effect - they're so dominant atm that their good players you kind of feel like "...yeah, you should be good"
Takes the shine off them a bit - i feel the same way about Earl, who is having a massive season but I'm just a bit like "....are you just a flat track bully as part of a dominant team?"

Yeah it's probably the Sarries effect :D They're so good but none of their players excite me, unlike Bath who have some exciting players but they're utter dogpoop.

Isiekwe on the bench doesnt excite me much at all, he is a good player but not going to change the game much really.

I've always been a fan of Huw so it's good to see him back. Real x-factor and a decent 10, 12, 13 for Scotland.

No idea about England but I'm expecting an immediate uptick, though possibly more conservative in playing to their strength (literally)?

England by 17

For me it's just how scrawny he is. Whenever he's played internationally before he just gets ragdolled every time he gets caught. He gets away with it at club level but just isn't enough of an athlete at the top level IMO. Very reminiscent of Alex Goode in that way for me.