English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
Screenshot 2023-02-20 at 09.43.01.png

Massive game for Scotland, not sure if Gregor will make any changes is 3 games in a row with a near unchanged team a bit risky?

I might be tempted to throw Mish on the bench, maybe Kinghorn at 15 but I'm a little reluctant to drop Hogg even though his form hasn't been at it's best.

Expect a big reaction from France, might be able to get under their skins though....

Expecting a win but chinks are starting to appear.
-Ntamack has not looked 100% fit. He was carrying a big strap on his right leg in last two 6N games and looked unable to accelerate.
-Galthié's coaching off bench in Dublin was weird : why substitute Ramos who was excellent and the designated kicker? Why bring on Jalibert at FB when he's a 10 and when Ntamack who has looked off needed to be taken off?
Les Bleus offensive game is off and has had to rely on the individuality. Big question mark about Laurent Labit's input here…
Several leading players have looked jaded (Alldritt..)
A note of positivity with massive game in Dublin from Dupont, Flament, Jelonch, Penaud, Fickou (defensively), Ramos. Looks like Danty is available for this game.

A big win or Galthié's bubble will burst.

Expecting a win but chinks are starting to appear.
-Ntamack has not looked 100% fit. He was carrying a big strap on his right leg in last two 6N games and looked unable to accelerate.
-Galthié's coaching off bench in Dublin was weird : why substitute Ramos who was excellent and the designated kicker? Why bring on Jalibert at FB when he's a 10 and when Ntamack who has looked off needed to be taken off?
Les Bleus offensive game is off and has had to rely on the individuality. Big question mark about Laurent Labit's input here…
Several leading players have looked jaded (Alldritt..)
A note of positivity with massive game in Dublin from Dupont, Flament, Jelonch, Penaud, Fickou (defensively), Ramos. Looks like Danty is available for this game.

A big win or Galthié's bubble will burst.
Individuality is the word. They have taken a step back.

Prior to the Dublin game I said that France should consider Jalibert at 10, think that would have been the move. With Danty possibly back I'd be sticking with N'tamack though, I think he builds phaseplay better (and as he learns this his game is taking a hit but it'll be worth it) and with Danty the gaps should appear for him to send players through or go through himself.

Jalibert can pick any defense apart in the blink of an eye but probably only in early phase play.

Even though I was very optimistic for Scotland with their 10, 12 & 13 selection (because it made me think Townsend was going to be far more attack minded) it has to be put in perspective.

They beat England in their first game with a new coach and a new team selection. They were then barely beating a Welsh side in the first half who were away from home and playing for pride and who probably threw the towel in second half due to bad morale and fears of a career jeopardising injury that would leave them with no income (i.e. don't put your body on the line when the game looks lost and end up getting hammered).

Despite all that France have gone completely AWOL in two consecutive second halves. They have really tailed off after just 20mins and the increased 'ball in play' time emphasis from refs seems to be absolutely gassing them. They don't look like an Edwards defence and as FF says they are playing as individuals. Remove Penaud and Dupont and they have shown little so far barring an outstanding opening 20mins from them in Dublin.

If France remain the same and Scotland stick to up-tempo, ball in play tactics and don't go 10+ points down inside the first 20mins I think they can pull this off. I actually think they will pull it off if within 7 points after 20mins (assuming same side selections), which is kind of nuts because I dont particularly rate Scotland's front row or 9, 12, 14 or 15.

I also can't see France busting a gut here after losing in Dublin. That was their final. Are they going to sacrifice their bodies here?

I think it's the most intriguing game of the round,
Scotland full of confidence and smelling blood, France looking quite poor for large parts of the first two round

Will be a real measure of where both sides are at

I think it's the most intriguing game of the round,
Scotland full of confidence and smelling blood, France looking quite poor for large parts of the first two round

Will be a real measure of where both sides are at
Agreed, if Scotland can get a result here it makes the Ireland game mega

Shaun Edwards was predicting a response in the game against Ireland and so I dread to think what the French players have had to go through in training this past week,

I want to see Dupont v Duhan after he manhandled Hansen in Dublin.

This will be a real test of where Scotland are for sure, neither England or Wales are playing on confidence or at their peak, Scotland have looked very resilient at times in defence which I think they have been guilty of looking a little vulnerable in the past (sounds a strange thing to say when the selections have been attacking minded), France on the other hand a little fragile but that Ireland loss might just give them the kick and be the spark that rejuvenates them.

Easy 15 point win for France. The battle will be lost up front.Don't think the French will give Duhan an inch of space.

I think an unchanged team for Scotland, with the possible exception of Watson coming to the bench.

Scotland are quite capable of winning this, whether it's realistic I don't know. I think they have the power passion and confidence for it.

I think Scotland match up better to France than us anyway. Two pivotal games for them anyway, they need to win one at least and get to 4 Ws in a 6n to show real progress leading into the pool of death.

The Mish is back. 6:2 split on the bench for this one.

Scotland: Hogg, Steyn, Jones, Tuipulotu, Van der Merwe; Russell, White; Schoeman, Turner, Z Fagerson, R Gray, Gilchrist, Ritchie (capt), Watson, M Fagerson

Replacements: Brown, Bhatti, Nel, J Gray, Skinner, Dempsey, Price, Kinghorn

Latest posts