• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2023 Six Nations] Ireland v France - 11 February 2023

We will win this. Andy Farrell is the first Irish coach to have built a true squad and seems to welcome the disruptions.

I don't disagree but down Furlong, Henshaw, Sheehan, Fetish and Kelleher we lose 5 world class players, or at least top level internationals depending on your definition (not looking at anyone in particular @Which Tyler ). Add Healy and Murray in as massive leaders who can bring great experience off the bench. Throw in Conway too who probably makes a full strength 23 in a perfect world.

It's a massive, massive challenge. One that would have killed us at times under Schmidt's reign and in any given match for the previous coaches. Under Faz, at the very least I expect the lads to die with their boots on.

I don't disagree but down Furlong, Henshaw, Sheehan, Fetish and Kelleher we lose 5 world class players, or at least top level internationals depending on your definition (not looking at anyone in particular @Which Tyler ). Add Healy and Murray in as massive leaders who can bring great experience off the bench. Throw in Conway too who probably makes a full strength 23 in a perfect world.

It's a massive, massive challenge. One that would have killed us at times under Schmidt's reign and in any given match for the previous coaches. Under Faz, at the very least I expect the lads to die with their boots on.
Don't disagree. But in todays game it is rare you have full 23. And it has been our killer for so long especially at RWCs.
Schmidt was a disaster for builing a squad he had his 23 or so and that was it. And that is not being disrespectful to him as most coaches before him were the exact same.
Faz has this new approach and I'm not sure is it dictated by the way the game evolved r what but it will benefit us.
Lads won't be awed as much and like I saw stat other day how Schmidt, Eddie, Deccie and Gatland to a lesser extent handed very few caps out against top tier teams unless it was injury enforced and already Faz has bypassed them all by a bit.

I think the fact Faz has a serious squad and they all are buying in and all love going to camp is huge.

France: Ramos; Penaud, Fickou, Moefana, Dumortier; Ntamack, Dupont (capt); Baille, Marchand, Atonio; Flament, Willemse; Jelonch, Ollivon, Alldritt

Replacements: Barlot, Wardi, Falatea, Taofifenua, Cros, Macalou, Couilloud, Jalibert.

Large men

Ireland: Keenan; Hansen, Ringrose, McCloskey, Lowe; Sexton (capt), Murray; Porter, Herring, Bealham; Ryan, Beirne; O'Mahony, van der Flier.

Replacements: Kelleher, Kilcoyne, O'Toole, Henderson, Conan, Casey, Byrne, Aki

Haven't been so happy to see Murray start since 2018! We've got the worse XV and 23, home advantage a leveller. Bring it on.

I believe we will win this. Big losses and a big test. Even dare I say if Sexton wasn't fully recovered and was left early I think Ross Byrne has form and experience to be up to challenge.
Great test and there a real feel good factor on this team.

Interesting to see Aki possibly falling down the pecking order. Probably about right since he'll be 33 in April. France look excellent on paper, but I can see them getting a couple of earlyish tries to stay in contention, then drifting behind as Ireland keep the scoreboard ticking over before going AWOL in the second half as Ireland put them in a sleeper hold.

Ireland by 17

Interesting to see Aki possibly falling down the pecking order. Probably about right since he'll be 33 in April. France look excellent on paper, but I can see them getting a couple of earlyish tries to stay in contention, then drifting behind as Ireland keep the scoreboard ticking over before going AWOL in the second half as Ireland put them in a sleeper hold.

Ireland by 17
That script hasn't really been Ireland's MO lately. Fast start and strong front running is usually the way.

South Africa was a little bit different insofar as it waiting until the start of the second half.

Ireland to win by 5, Ireland to target french Ill discipline at the break down and keep them pinned back. Ire back row to boss Fra who imo have a weakness when their is a fast ruck speed

I think if this is a controlled game, Ireland win. France's best chance is to play an extremely high tempo instinctive game and hope they can break down the systems and then handle the chaos better.

Ireland are disappointingly strong favourites at the bookies for this - almost not worth having in an acca

Even though France won in the Autumn I think they've been sending out all the signals of late. The team look like they're beginning to think winning is easy. As someone said above i'm not sure that's something a quick conversation can sort out. Ireland to win by a comfortable margin.

A quick conversation, no.
But a near-loss to Italy?

It's going to be fascinating to see how they react to that.

Even though France won in the Autumn I think they've been sending out all the signals of late. The team look like they're beginning to think winning is easy. As someone said above i'm not sure that's something a quick conversation can sort out. Ireland to win by a comfortable margin.
Ireland will taste against the France team.😅

Latest posts