• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2023 Six Nations] Ireland v France - 11 February 2023

Player of the match :)
1[:image]

FosvEGLWcAIPSPs

To be fair I thought Barnes was ok. A good ref who relied on his assistants and TMO. Not alone in red and regardless of if you agree or disagree with him I found he gave clear explanations for all calls. Like Lowe call was clear too. Even though a view after seemed to show he did tip touch but based on views provided Barnes did excellent.
Also on Lowe try must say looking back it was a super finish

Frankly, Irish supporters, I expected a little more honesty from you, too bad.:confused:

I admit it was a red card for Atonio but James Low's try had to be canceled.

We can only blame ourselves. We were outclassed tactically and physically, and lucky to be within 6 points until last 10 minutes.
We never controlled the match at any moment and gave the impression we could win the game. We did not have the possesion, we were poor offensively, to a few exceptions of some unstructured actions of brillance. On the positives, we defended well and gave all what we could on the day.
Blaming the referee is irrelevant here. Ireland was dominant and deserved the win. There is a gap between the two teams, especially in term of possession, and we have 6 months to work on this.

Frankly, Irish supporters, I expected a little more honesty from you, too bad.:confused:

I admit it was a red card for Atonio but James Low's try had to be canceled.
The clip thay seemed to show he tipped touch BUT this was not shown when TMO was reviewing.

Also the other clips were really 50/50 so would need to have been clearly ruled out to cancel try. So not sure on honesty comment

Yeah he was clearly very biased towards Ireland by giving that Atonio that red card

You're just looking to bait people anyway I reckon
I don't think so, france still went straight to ground at most rucks like they did last week but rarely got penalised for it this time.
I think France have more players capable of something special. However, Ireland are a complete team and that includes the bench. They are all on the same page and all know what their job is.
yeah, they Have some depth ,but actually they don't have all that much depth. If they got injuries like australia or even wales has had in recent times it would change things. Not so much france though, except du pont, they need du pont .

Scary thing is Ireland are winning against many including france, without the fancy attack we know they can do, and while making some poor decisions preventing them from capitalizing on opportunities. Leinster too. That's helpful for the World Cup prep, because playing the complicated, high precision rugby can be difficult when players are anxious at a World Cup. Plus, maybe this time they actually are holding something up their sleeve (not that we haven't seen it before, but they might hope we forgot)

Typical Ireland getting their way, I'm stitching Justice4Uini on all my t shirts until this injustice is overturned

Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 12.53.39.png

Can we just appreciate aswell how well Refereed this game was, not blowing his whistle for every single 50/50 call and just letting the game flow for both sides.

Antonio cited. Can't believe people were saying it wasn't even a penalty lol. One of the more clear red calls I've seen for this stuff.
I dunno about clearest seen way more clear cut stuff in the past but I definitely couldn't work out Barnes justification for downgrade.

I dunno about clearest seen way more clear cut stuff in the past but I definitely couldn't work out Barnes justification for downgrade.

His reasoning was impressively Jesuitical to be honest. Without seeing the replay he had already decided that it was low danger and he then persisted with the argument that the initial impact impact was on the arm and chest, despite the TMO saying the impact was on the head. I have some sympathy with Barnes because of the fact that to a certain extent it's consistent with his decision not to red card Porter in the third NZ test.

The problem for me with his reasoning is that, unlike Porter, Atoni had lined Herring up from a few yards out and was dictating the type of tackle he was going to make and he still didn't drop his height, so his action had to be considered reckless and dangerous. I believe very strongly that there was no malice in the tackle other than Atoni's seeing it as a huge opportunity to put in a massive hit, but the lack of intent isn't a defence and I think he'll get two or three weeks rest. I'd also imagine a word will be had with Wayne about his interpretation.

To be honest the fact that he wasn't sent off was a huge bonus in the end because it would have put a major asterisk against Irelands win, but I'm not sure I or many of my compatriots would be looking at decision quite so benignly if we had lost. Just look at the shitstorm being generated not just amongst the French, but also amongst supposed neutrals to the decision to allow Lowe's try. 😂

He's done that before. Can't recall the game. Maybe one in the RC last year.

Edit: didn't see Smurfy's reply. Yeh 3rd test v NZ and Porter.

Latest posts