• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2023 Six Nations] Scotland v Ireland - 12 March 2023

It's very much like NZ used to do and most top teams in the world. They don't tend to dominate the entire game but have patches where they rapidly rack up a score.
They (and NZ on top form) seem to know when the opposition become a bit disjointed and pounce. Scotland had just given away a penalty then been marched back 10, Russell threw a forward pass and a couple of other things and bang, 2 tries in 5 minutes.

Wasn't a great game but keenly contested by both sides. Well up until the 50 minute mark it was. Scotland didn't stay in the fight for the 80 which should annoy Townsend.

Anyone notice that Ireland launched the same play off set piece every single time - Hansen coming late off the shoulder? I wonder was there an effort made to keep stuff in the locker for later in the year.

Side note... why do the Irish rugby pundits make such a habit of sneering at the Scots? Zebo and Heaslip let themselves down big time with that shite today. The pomposity dripping from them.

Wasn't a great game but keenly contested by both sides.

😲

I thought the quality in the first half was top drawer from both. Yes, Scotland probably should have scored another try - but it was massive tackle/turnovers that stopped them, not bad handling.

Wasn't a great game but keenly contested by both sides. Well up until the 50 minute mark it was. Scotland didn't stay in the fight for the 80 which should annoy Townsend.

Anyone notice that Ireland launched the same play off set piece every single time - Hansen coming late off the shoulder? I wonder was there an effort made to keep stuff in the locker for later in the year.

Side note... why do the Irish rugby pundits make such a habit of sneering at the Scots? Zebo and Heaslip let themselves down big time with that shite today. The pomposity dripping from them.
Just like here then

I'm not too downhearted with this result. If you look at it this way Scotland have only lost games since November to the first second and third ranked teams in the world

Tommy Bowe was the same on BBC, trying to bait John Barclay it's an ugly sight. Irish arrogance dare I say? There was respect from Farrell and Sexton before and after the match. Ireland got a deserved win but they were also matched for a lot of that game, they are not invincible.

To be honest as a Scot I'm happy with a lot of that game, no one else has been in one point of Ireland at 55 mins (that I recall) recently. The drop off is disappointing but the quality of Ireland is going to do that to you eventually.

With the World Cup group arrangement this is the kind of thing we need to gauge what further steps are needed to try and close the gap.

glad there was no cards or real controversy throughout the game, Pearce is a bit of a funny ref to read but overall it was fine. Some breakdown play with lazy rollaways was a little frustrating otherwise no complaints.

Glad it's only 6 days til the next instalment!

Probably the only real controversy was Hoggs non-yellow card for interfering with the scrum half about 2 metres off the Scottish line.

Normally they'd be a yellow all day long - Pearce strangely chose not to even give a team warning to Jamie Ritchie.

Probably the only real controversy was Hoggs non-yellow card for interfering with the scrum half about 2 metres off the Scottish line.

Normally they'd be a yellow all day long - Pearce strangely chose not to even give a team warning to Jamie Ritchie.
Fair, Hogg was lucky to not have got a card there. Would have probably resulted in an avalanche of Irish scoring…

Just glad that there wasn't a card which would have spoiled a pretty exciting first half

Could a question, when did the law change where you could bring back substituted player for an injured player?
Head injury assessment,if advantage are used any players can return.
Front row have to be used if not injury sub.
Has always been law since during the war.
Surprised you are not to speed with this.

Tommy Bowe was the same on BBC, trying to bait John Barclay it's an ugly sight. Irish arrogance dare I say? There was respect from Farrell and Sexton before and after the match. Ireland got a deserved win but they were also matched for a lot of that game, they are not invincible.

To be honest as a Scot I'm happy with a lot of that game, no one else has been in one point of Ireland at 55 mins (that I recall) recently. The drop off is disappointing but the quality of Ireland is going to do that to you eventually.

With the World Cup group arrangement this is the kind of thing we need to gauge what further steps are needed to try and close the gap.

glad there was no cards or real controversy throughout the game, Pearce is a bit of a funny ref to read but overall it was fine. Some breakdown play with lazy rollaways was a little frustrating otherwise no complaints.

Glad it's only 6 days til the next instalment!
It's quite specific though isn't it? Arrogance and shade reserved for the Scots. You never hear it when we play England, Wales or even Italy for example. It seems to be a chip on the shoulder type thing that the group of Irish players playing 10 years ago bears. Don't know what the **** is their problem to be honest but I wish they'd grow up.

Head injury assessment,if advantage are used any players can return.
Front row have to be used if not injury sub.
Has always been law since during the war.
Surprised you are not to speed with this.
In this case there was no HIA unless you are really trying to stretch the law. Not talking about front row

Answered properly above by TRF_Olyy, I have also looked it up now, from the WR website

1. Tactical replacements joining the match

2. Tactically replaced players may return to play only when replacing:
    1. An injured front-row player.
    2. A player with a blood injury.
    3. A player with a head injury.
    4. A player who has just been injured as a result of foul play (as verified by the match officials).
    5. The nominated player described in Law 3.19 or 3.20.

Could a question, when did the law change where you could bring back substituted player for an injured player?
Was never unchanged
In this case there was no HIA unless you are really trying to stretch the law. Not talking about front row

Answered properly above by TRF_Olyy, I have also looked it up now, from the WR website

4. A player who has just been injured as a result of foul play (as verified by the match officials).
A HIA on Ringrose??? Why waste the time.

WTF!!! The lad would have failed it. Lucky to have his head and could hardly say he was faking it or we wanted to tactically mix it up.

From inside camp the word is:

- Sheehan will be fine for next week
- Kelleher 50/50
- Doris will be fine.
- Ringrose and Henderson are out.

After more research I've found that law 3.33c (a player with a head injury) was only implemented in 2019 after a request for a law clarification from world rugby, previously it was only allowed for HIA

I'm not too downhearted with this result. If you look at it this way Scotland have only lost games since November to the first second and third ranked teams in the world
Mostly agree, though the gap was really shown by how Ireland controlled the game in spite of the raft of injuries. I think most teams would have panicked when losing the second hooker and completely fallen apart.

Shame this is the calibre of team we need to beat to get to the quarter finals...

Mostly agree, though the gap was really shown by how Ireland controlled the game in spite of the raft of injuries. I think most teams would have panicked when losing the second hooker and completely fallen apart.

Shame this is the calibre of team we need to beat to get to the quarter finals...

Warburton said it in commentary about the lineouts, we lacked a bit of clear thinking at lineout time and could have got some pressure on the VdF throw sooner. Maybe Gilchrist or Gray would have been the difference and made the call but it's a little worrying that in 8 people or even the 9 and Russell they didn't tell them to get a jumper up.

Still, I am pleased that we managed to by and large execute a plan which worked, the scorline looks quite a big gap but that is only 1 pen and no BP so could be much much worse.

Our pool in the World Cup looks more and more like a joke. 3 of the top 5 ranked teams in the world right now in a 5 team pool. Compare it to Pool C and Pool D. At least pool A is kinda looking like a stinker as well.

I guess the semi-finals could be interesting as you'll get two top teams who've had 2-3 tough games, vs much weaker teams who've been able to spend the whole tournament preparing for that match.

Still **** though.

Latest posts