• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2023 Six Nations] Scotland v Ireland - 12 March 2023

Wonder who the last player to play top level at all three frontrow positions in the one season was? Must have been a while.

I still have a query about whether the uncontested scrum laws are open to abuse. However I thought yesterday Ireland didn't abuse those laws as much as they could have done. Surely it would have been in their interests not to have named Healy as a 3rd hooker. Then they would have been guaranteed to win their own scrum ball. As it was Healy did a pretty good job at hooker and it didn't cost Ireland.

Abuse them?

The Lowe try came from a scrum penalty won with Healy hooking.

Apologies if this was covered earlier in the thread. I've zero axe to grind but the final pass in Ireland's first try was thrown forward two metres into a very strong headwind.

The Hansen try?

If it did, I've completely missed that!

I'd have thought the Lowe pass to put Gibson-Park down the line was forward, but then big Ryan dropped the ball anyway.

The Hansen try?

I'd have thought the Lowe pass to put Gibson-Park down the line was forward, but then big Ryan dropped the ball anyway.

Dempsey entered a ruck on the Irish line at a 45 deg angle a couple of phases before the Scottish try to make a great clear out. Much more blatant than anything in Keenan's pass and a couple of yards from the ref. The lesson is that the officials make mistakes, although I'm not so sure that Keenan's pass could be called forward under the flat out of the hands interpretation.

1. A quick throw is disallowed and a lineout is awarded to the same team if:
    1. A lineout had already been formed; or
    2. The ball had been touched after it went into touch by anyone other than the player throwing in or the player who carried the ball into touch; or
    3. A different ball is used from the one that originally went into touch.
So as far as I know, if two or more opposition players are there, you can't take the quick one as a line out has formed.
It SHOULD have been stopped directly, but I don't think anyone had noticed it was a different ball.

Abuse them?

The Lowe try came from a scrum penalty won with Healy hooking.
To add to this there was never any excuse from Ireland. As you point out Ireland Amiga Ireland just got on with it.

Also for Ireland try. I presume it is the Hansen try and that was meant that was praised for Keenan's pass that was excellent and in every angle has been analysed for the praise on how he put it on money that Mack didn't have to break stride and how it was clearly 2 yards back.

I'm slightly more shocked at some of excuses that Scotland are coming up with.

- Ringrose sub shouldn't have been allowed. Like yes the lad was faking it and the video of him taking a whopper was planned. And we benefitted massively from that change.
- The Mack Hansen try was a forward pass despite clearly shown to not even be level but go back.
- The scrum situation was abused yet no changes happened. Kelleher actually withstood the pain for an extra minute or 2 so John Fogarty could go through parts with Healy.

Yet no Scottish report has said they were let off a few yellows or conceding a few pen tries.

Not seen any of those 3 excuses anywhere? Ireland won fair and square I have no serious quibbles with the decisions, there are always things which could be different from both sides but it's sport and thats always going to be the case.

Not seen any of those 3 excuses anywhere? Ireland won fair and square I have no serious quibbles with the decisions, there are always things which could be different from both sides but it's sport and thats always going to be the case.

Also, local press are always going to have a bit of local bias (apart from WOL which is more than a bit) and so it's no great surprise that they haven't used up column inches to highlight incidents that went in Scotland's favour.

Also, local press are always going to have a bit of local bias (apart from WOL which is more than a bit) and so it's no great surprise that they haven't used up column inches to highlight incidents that went in Scotland's favour.
Seems like not getting the 4 try BP is a sorer point than I first thought..... ;)

Well we didn't even get a mention on Ugo Monyes slot on Sunday night so where can I send my complaint lol

The Hansen try?

Yeah, from Keenan, doing his best Hogg impression as a 100 cap tribute :D. I suspected it in real time as Hansen had to reach forward for it, so I watched the overhead shot in freeze frame and its really clear. I wouldn't care except they had a TMO review of the grounding so surely look at the pass too? But if ref and assistant missed it and no Scottish player kicked up a stink then I can see why they wouldn't look at it via TMO as they are trying to cut down on speculative TMO action to speed things up (which I approve of). So overall ambivalence!

Yeah, from Keenan, doing his best Hogg impression as a 100 cap tribute :D. I suspected it in real time as Hansen had to reach forward for it, so I watched the overhead shot in freeze frame and its really clear. I wouldn't care except they had a TMO review of the grounding so surely look at the pass too? But if ref and assistant missed it and no Scottish player kicked up a stink then I can see why they wouldn't look at it via TMO as they are trying to cut down on speculative TMO action to speed things up (which I approve of). So overall ambivalence!
There's a reason that forward passes are done on the way the hands face though. That pass to me doesn't look forward, momentum brings it forward.

There's a reason that forward passes are done on the way the hands face though. That pass to me doesn't look forward, momentum brings it forward.
into a 20mph headwind? If the recipient receives the ball around 2m ahead of where the ball was released how can it have not come out of the hand forwards? Especially factoring in Keenan was largely running lateral, so there wasn't much forward momentum.

Maybe it is more marginal than I thought. I was paying particular attention as I'd just seen Romania lose a try in almost identical situation where the winger reached for the ball and the ref blew it (which I thought looked a little harsh to the naked eye and made me look more closely for instances where a player reaches for the pass).

Remember the ball is technically travelling forwards at the speed of the player holding onto it. I guess that's where the defnition of the movement of the hands comes into it rather than the point of receving the pass.

If you drop an object out of a flying plane it doesn't fall on the ground at the same point it was released from the plane - forward velocity comes into play.

Screenshot_2023-03-14-17-01-56-339_bbc.iplayer.android.jpg

Ball released

Screenshot_2023-03-14-17-02-35-499_bbc.iplayer.android.jpg

Ball caught

Checking the grass "striping" clearly shows a forward pass 1.5 - 2m

But it was wasn't spotted, try given

Remember the ball is technically travelling forwards at the speed of the player holding onto it. I guess that's where the defnition of the movement of the hands comes into it rather than the point of receving the pass.

If you drop an object out of a flying plane it doesn't fall on the ground at the same point it was released from the plane - forward velocity comes into play.
Your plane analogy doesn't hold really,

A plane is flying a hell of a lot faster
The forward motion of an object wouldn't be much over a sideways distance if 15m, not taking into account the wind resistance

Your plane analogy doesn't hold really,

A plane is flying a hell of a lot faster
The forward motion of an object wouldn't be much over a sideways distance if 15m, not taking into account the wind resistance
It's the same thing, the ball is not stationary if someone is running with it. Hence why the point of release and the point of receipt in a flat pass is not the same if the players are running.

It's the same thing, the ball is not stationary if someone is running with it. Hence why the point of release and the point of receipt in a flat pass is not the same if the players are running.
Old timer here. At school was told if it ain't backwards it's forward. Kickers have to judge the elements and so should those passing.

What I meant us forward motion should be negligible especially into a headwind as previously noted

Latest posts