• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2023 Six Nations] Scotland v Ireland - 12 March 2023

Yeah I always think the better barometer to check these things is to check the point where the passer continued his run to when the ball was caught. If Keenan is ahead of the ball it's probably the momentum that carried it.

There's wind cover from the stand there too, I was seated in the corner he scored and can't remember much wind in there, I took my hat off during the game and if it was windy I'd have had my hair blowing across my face.

Hard to argue it's worse than a 50/50 imo and I'm happy if we are giving benefit to the attacking team in that situation.

View attachment 16269

Ball released

View attachment 16270

Ball caught

Checking the grass "striping" clearly shows a forward pass 1.5 - 2m

But it was wasn't spotted, try given
But the passer's hands were not pointing forwards when he released the ball. The officials would not have been looking the ball going forward.

Pass was fine. Hence try was.

Just seen the highlights again last night.

Jamie Ritchie probably should have seen the bin for blatantly going all over the ball (illegally) on the line a couple of phases before before the Lowe try. Kinda surprised Luke Pearce didn't give him a bit of a lecture given Jamie already wasn't flavour of the month having been marched back 10 yards for mouthing a few mins previously.

Wouldn't be the 6 nations without having to explain the forward pass laws.
It's to us what the offside rule is in football!

Not disagreeing with anyone on this btw it was originally answering Bruces point of how a ball can end ahead of where it was thrown. Nor was I referring to this particular situation in the Sco Ire match.

So..

Looking at the Keenan pass on replay I'll be honest I felt it was ok but... now AIRums screenshots have me doubting....

The overhead camera makes it look very close

Last edited:
It's to us what the offside rule is in football!

Not disagreeing with anyone on this btw it was originally answering Bruces point of how a ball can end ahead of where it was thrown. Nor was I referring to this particular situation in the Sco Ire match.

So..

Looking at the Keenan pass on replay I'll be honest I felt it was ok but... now AIRums screenshots have me doubting....

The overhead camera makes it look very close
I'm quite happy for it to stay as clear and obvious. Yes passes might be missed, but unless it's blatantly forward they should stick with the on field decision. We don't want to get into the ridiculousness of VAR and drawing lines.

Latest posts